The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hubby suggests Lima is not playing because the Quakes are going to sell him. We haven’t heard anything to that effect, but it’s gotta be that, or else for some reason he is in Almeyda’s dog house and always has been.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I think he should go to Europe or Mexico. His age clock to go abroad is ticking so its now or never. I hate to see him go but it would be good for him to go.

3. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Godoy is getting on the field and the 18 and he is already traded.

I think this is a simple mind game by MA to get the best out of Lima but IMO Lopez is a big liability so someone needs to come to their senses.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  4. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s way past time to start trending #FreeLima

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure the Quakes very could well sell him since he appears to be our back up outside back at this time, but, why is that the case? Almeyda obviously favors the different skill set that Tommy brings to the right back position, but, that isn't a knock against what Lima has to offer. And Lopez has had some games at left back where his play was better than anything we saw from Lima at that position. Certainly Lopez had had some stinkers, but, I think Almeyda is focusing on the upside potential Lopez has shown, and it is usually always better to have a natural left-footed player in that position. You aren't going to find many teams playing a natural right footed player there, (and of course the opposite holds true for the other side of the field). I don't think Nick is in Almeyda's dog house at all.

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:No it's not. Just because he is not a starter at this time doesn't mean he needs to be "freed" from the Quakes.

7. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The last few games are not be a time for experimentation.

If Lopez is the best option at LB then let him play but if Lima is being left out for some mind game reason then it is a real shame.

BTW, it might be time to give TT some rest as he is way over max minutes for the season and seems to be breaking down some, maybe Lima should start for him.

8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopez has been in and out of the line up all year, so, I would not call him potentially starting the next few games a time of experimentation. His head definitely needs to be in the game, we can't afford some of the lapses he has demonstrated in the past.

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the thing. Lopez’ play has been poor enough, and not an apparent improvement over Lima’s, that quite a few people are wondering why Lima isn’t playing, and speculating that the decision is not based on talent. So I think it’s time for #FreeLima

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I trust that Almeyda knows what's best. If he favors Lopez next game, fine, if he favors Lima, I am fine with that as well.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ugh, that doesn't sound exactly rosy...they are not on the same page at all.

There is more to this. I doubt Lima would prefer to sit behind Tommy rather than start and play LB. That's the way this is being played...basically being thrown under the bus...not a team player...doesn't fit his personality to beg off a chance to help the team...no way.

This really sucks...

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "... prefers to play on the right, and often not on the left"

Is that literal? :confused:

MA: Where do you want to play?
    NL: Not on the left
    MA: How about playing on the left?
    NL: I want to play on the right
    MA: Where do you like to play?
    NL: Not on the left.

don gagliardi repped this.
  14. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Lima is one of the few players on the roster that can go on both offense and defense, left or right, he deserves to be in the 18, much better to have him as an option over Fierro.

DotMPP, markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Espinoza is out for Wed, maybe Lima should take his spot. Put Lopez or Shea or Rios or Fierro at LB.

16. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Maybe, but it might be interesting to put TT in the Espinoza spot and then put Lima into TT's spot and use Lopez as LB. In reality I think Rios might just start in Espinoza's spot.

BTW, I think Lima did great in this game, brought a lot of dangerous play on Offense and directly creating chances.

17. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!! You, my friend, have incredible vision!!!

The very first time my wife and I had ever even heard of Nick Lima was when we went to Las Vegas a few years back for a February pre-season against the Galaxy, at a minor league baseball park. I believe it was in the 2nd half of that game that Kinear (?) started Lima at right wing-back and Tommy at right mid. They were an AMAZING combo! They seemed to read each others minds - when one would make a run up, the other would stay back. They passed between each other like they'd know each other for years!

You absolutely nailed it and I hope to see this dynamic duo finally utilized. Have been blown away that has not happened to date!

18. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Thank You.

19. SJearthquakes4life

SJearthquakes4life New Member

Earthquakes
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I don’t think Lima is having a bad year, just not as good of a year as his first two seasons. Most likely due to him coming in and playing a new position. With the National team he plays his natural RB position and it’s obvious he is more comfortable and makes an impact when he is on the field. With the quakes not only is he in a new position, like someone mentioned before he is playing with Vako who does not pass to him. I feel like Almeyda tried to temporarily fix the LB problem by plugging Lima in there and then they got Lopez (paid him more than Lima) and have come to realize that Lopez, at least for now isn’t starter material, or at least is better than Lima.

Lima’s and TT’s stats are similar a couple of assists and a couple of goals (one of Lima’s goals was called back) and that’s with Lima playing significantly less minutes. Makes me wonder what Lima could be doing for us at RB with Espinoza.

Sadly I don’t see him staying with us beyond this season, you would have to imagine him wanting to get somewhere that lets him play RB. It would be nice if in these last couple “must win” games Almeyda played him at RB. Worse case Lopez stinks it up at LB, but that will be the LB when Lima leaves so may as well get used to it.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's the future of US soccer (circa 2011...)

markmcf8 and DotMPP repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think this post belongs here...

In my opinion , Lima was not really developed by the academy as he played 4 years of college ball at Cal.

Still, even though I like him a lot , he has a lot of potential to be a great player but is not progressing much staying with he Quakes and should go abroad in order to up his game. He will turn 25 years old this Sunday and if there is a time to get money for him and to go abroad , its now. That is if there is a market for him.

24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo, everything I’ve read is that Europe is only interested in players 22 and younger. I really like Nick, but I think his window to make it big is past, and the best he is going to become is an MLS journeyman. He’s played too long at the Quakes while not really getting any better than he was in the beginning. If anything, maybe after his injury (didn’t he have a sports hernia right away?) he’s gotten a bit worse, since he can no longer send in those long diagonal crosses.

hc897 repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its true he may be too old for Europe but as a national team player, he may have a little bit more of a pull somewhere. He could try Mexico.