The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a feeling Nick will probably be sold off to a Euro club soon.....

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe the Quakes would get that much based on 2 good performances in USMNT friendlies. I have always liked Nick, but IMHO, he is still making 2-3 mistakes per game. I maybe could have blamed a lot of that on the players around him, but on Saturday vs RBNY, that one goal was all him... That was egregious, like he lost consciousness or something.

onefineesq and hc897 repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yedlin was given a contract in England with little more.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Sounders sold Yedlin to the Tottenham Hotspur in England for $2.96 million. I doubt he was that much better than Lima and he only played two seasons for Seattle in MLS.

bsman repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Lima dyes his hair yellow, his transfer value will go up. :)

MtnGardener repped this.
  6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I was saying exactly this to my neighbor. Lima is on his way out. He isn't a favorite of the coach and his value to the world is higher than his value to the Quakes. I would go so far as to say he _should_ be sold if they can get $1mil or more, unless the coach feels confident he can get more from him than we've seen. And I like Lima, but the reality of how soccer finances work and how player careers go says Lima is sold for everyone's best interest.

Sactown Soccer and mjlee22 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, certainly if Almeyda is going to keep subbing Lima out, thereby decreasing his value, then the quakes should trade him ASAP.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Lima to stay here so I don't give a crap what his trade value is. My guess is that Almeyda will see the light and Lima regains his 90 minutes at RB.

Boysinblue, bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're really high on him. I wish I shared that enthusiasm. As a former central defender, if I had a right back that played like Lima does, I'd be yelling at him constantly.

Then again, he's a pro and I'm not, and I'm sure there are plenty of teammates of mine who would complain about how I played, too.

DotMPP repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well,it apparently hasn’t enhanced his standing with the USMNT - he isn’t even dressed for tonight’s game.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Matías Almeyda's opinion carries some weight with the USMNT? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I sure hope not! However, I would say it is highly likely that when Nick reported to camp he was discouraged, dispirited, and didn’t show as well as he would have if his club coach demonstrated confidence in him.

mjlee22 and Goodsport repped this.
  13. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time of the sale Yedlin was only 21, had made the U.S. World Cup squad coming off the bench three times, and made the All-Star team the previous year.

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #314 falvo, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Maybe he was younger but that doesn't mean he was better or more experienced. At the time he was sold, he had only played in 56 professional games for the Sounders.

I will acknowledge that European squads look for younger players though so Lima's time may be running out. A scout I talked to watching Lima and others at the Cal games was already saying how 23+ was already too old for American players starting their journeys abroad. Its kind of a catch 22 for some college players. Either stay in school and get your degree or drop out and risk a shot at making it big time in Europe.

15. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    The coach had announced in advance that he was going to try Tyler Adams in basically the same role he used Nick in during camp. That made it seem unlikely, to me, to have Lima on the bench.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  16. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Lima, but the last two games he's been beaten for goals. The last one was just pure laziness. A shot was taken and instead of covering he let his mark get 5-10 yards ahead of him for an easy put in. If he plays like that, he deserves to be on the bench.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Berhalter called him into Nats camp again is an indication my enthusiasm is likely not misplaced. And whatever problem Lima is having now may have more to do with trying to adapt to Almeyda's insistence on having his players man mark than any inherent inadequacy in his ability. And the guy on the other side of the field isn't doing so hot now either.

18. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is where I'm not so sure. Maybe his deficiencies are exacerbated by Almeyda's system, but Lima has always had some pretty glaring issues defending one on one at the MLS level.

Obviously there is a lot of potential there, and Berhalter choosing him for a call up is a great thing. My evaluation of him is characterized mostly by how I view the role of a defender. It still seems that attacking outside backs are prized, so actual defensive ability is often a secondary concern given how the game is played right now.

I think Lima is an OK defender that has some good ability to get forward. I'd prefer a good defender that knows how to distribute the ball quickly in transition.

QuakeAttack and mjlee22 repped this.
  19. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goals he's allowed this year I don't think had to do with a system. The last one he was simply ball watching. No defender should be watching the play at the top of 18 and allowing the attacker you're marking get 5+ yards ahead of you for an easy goal.

Many good things about him for sure, but a lapse like that doesn't make sense.

MtnGardener and hc897 repped this.
  20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same observation. Still high on Nick, but he is not a lock for the USMNT and needs work before top leagues start calling for him.

davidjd repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lima will be fine...some tough love from Almeyda.

On the allowed goal in the RB game...did you notice Cummings was much closer to the play than Lima...and actually never moved an inch to cover his primary central area. Nick was 6 yards further up field and ran back past the Statue of Cummings...just enough to posterize himself late on the play.

He is probably having a tough time adapting to the style and direction Almeyda wants him to play...which is different from Berhalter and his previous Quakes coaches. He's had a few plays he's like to have back.

Almeyda is a savvy motivator...he knows his approach will pay dividends down the road...you'll see the best Lima has to offer to prove to Almeyda he has what it takes to start...no doubt.

23. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Maybe the genius of Almeyda will end up with TomThom playing right back and Lima playing right or left wing.

DotMPP repped this.
  24. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I watched his whole football highlights. He was a stud and you can tell he played a more physical sport than soccer at one point in the way he plays -- it gives him an advantage, as his buddy says. I did both too and think it helped a lot in soccer (of course, I'm a defender!).

Agreed that Matias seems to be trying to motivate him, but I didn't see him as a guy who needed any additional motivation? TT and Nick should both be starting.

Sactown Soccer and bsman repped this.
  25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, but Almeyda is setting a very competitive tone. Everyone is accountable for mistakes...even nats players. I thought it was an early hook to pull Lima, but he's using him as an example for the rest of the team...nobody gets preferential treatment...it's a dogfight to get on the field...the way it should be...really earning your minutes. I think there is a great spirit building within the team...strictly due to the way Almeyda handles his team...he's the best influence on the Quakes since the reboot.

Sactown Soccer repped this.