The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Depending on his and the Quakes performances, if Lima leaves, it probably won't be until June/July. or in December.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is his home. Why would he leave?

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why would anyone want to leave the Quakes?

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Precisely.

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of what year?

don gagliardi repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #256 falvo, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    He will turn 25 in November , a prime playing age. If he goes, most likely it will be in June/July or December 2019 or January 2020.. His window at least for Europe is now because not too many American born players go abroad at age 26, 27 or 28. ....

7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great analysis from Mtngardener, earthshaker, and tvromero.
    Thanks!

Earthshaker repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would love to see Nick get the opportunity to go to Europe. It is obvious to me watching his two MNT appearances that his stint training post-season in Germany did him a world of good.

9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    There is no necessity. There is financial reality for the team and player. Soccer is an international sport, and very rarely is the team a good player came up with the team that is their prime-aged destination. The odds are low that the best salary and opportunity. If he could play for a terrible Premier League team like Southampton (not saying he could) he would make $50k a WEEK or more. Even if he never plays. A week. So in a month he would make what he makes in a year here. In five months he'd make more than the Quakes could reasonable pay him no matter how good he is. So now you know why he'd leave. But why would the team sell him? Because the transfer fee would be in the $2mil range, likely. And when your choice is "make money and help your player realize his dreams" or "keep an unhappy player away from his dreams", teams pick the first. Soccer transfers are very different than the big North American leagues, the players are in the drivers seat.

mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #260 falvo, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Exactly and a $1 million dollar salary may be a DP contract in MLS but that is an average earning in most top leagues. I’m pretty sure Wondo, had he been given a choice, will have gone to Europe. His problem was he was a late bloomer and no one really noticed him until he was 27. 28 or 29. That age already spelled a black mark by his name if and when Euro club’s came calling. I’m sure just like many other players who went abroad, he could have played there also but I don’t think he had many callers. If he did, they must not have been that important. Same goes for DeRosario who I believe talked about gojng abroad but never did. If Lima goes , it’s most likely within a year or never.

MtnGardener repped this.
  11. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember hearing Feyenoord was interested in Wondo after his breakout season, but he decided he'd rather stay and try to win MLS cup with San Jose. Would have been interesting to see how he developed at 27/28 years old in the technical attack minded Dutch league.

For Lima I agree, if he doesn't move to Europe in the next year or so it probably won't happen. The way he seems to be playing, it's looking like he has the potential to play in a good Euro league. Also he may have found his niche as an inverted fullback, defending in the normal right back zone but tucking into the center mid area when in possession pushing up the field. Not that he's not already great as a traditional attacking fullback.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, the upshot is we can't have nice things?

sj_vanbasten and Earthshaker repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I blame Eddie Lewis. Apparently you can become too good to play in San Jose.

mjlee22 and DotMPP repped this.
  14. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Who gets this transfer fee? Does it go to the owner? Does it have any affect on our salary cap or TAM or anything like that?

If the Owner directly gets the money then I can see them moving him just to get some funds, especially if your team is not winning and ticket sales suck.

It would be great if transfer money could be used like TAM or allocation money or have some other way to buy down other players salaries under the cap, specifically allowing a team to bring in more quality (higher cost) players across the entire pitch and not just through DPs.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #265 falvo, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Living in Europe is not all that great. The winters are freezing and the summers are very hot. Eric Wynalda made a vow to never go back to Germany and that was when American players were treated horribly. Clint Mathis can say the same thing. Brian McBride was already 31 when he went to Everton and the manager David Moyes loved him but he told him , they didn't want to pay him what he wanted because of his age.

Things may be changing but traditionally, American players as a rule were and are treated like crap. Players have to decide whether they want to stay in sunny California and MLS and make peanuts as opposed to going to Europe to make big bucks. A player at 18-22 maybe has a chance to go and try but at 25+ , the chances of going become few and far between.

If Lima really wants to go abroad , he should pounce on it because opportunities to go are rare. I also doubt the Quakes would be able to match or even walk away from what he would make even with most average first or second division clubs.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are rules on how money from transfer fees can be spent. You have to dig through this article a bit, but you should find what you're looking for here.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Nick is only 24. Eddie Lewis went to Fulham from San Jose at age 26.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was a different time. That was over 20 years ago and the league was only 2 years old.

Anyway, unless you subscribe to Soccer America, you won't be able to view this article but here is an excerpt:

upload_2019-2-4_8-59-47.png

19. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Thanks for the link.

So it all has to go into Quakes development and cannot be pocketed.

Specific to Lima as he is homegrown:

• A club shall receive 100 percent of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses) from any transaction involving a Homegrown Player(regardless of service years).
    • " The club may assign up to US$750,000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money.
    • The remaining balance of the club's share (if any), and which cannot be traded, will be available to be used by clubs in the following ways:
      • Against the expenses incurred by the club in relation to the costs of an existing or new Designated Player; or
      • With League approval, against an expense that (i) would not otherwise have been incurred by the club; and (ii) reasonably represents an investment in the League or club (e.g., youth development and training facilities)

mjlee22 repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we can't put it towards the roof or exterior skin?:D

I know in England it was not uncommon at one time to sell off star players to make needed ground repairs or improvements.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    An exterior skin is not an improvement. :)

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preferably towards both. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last bullet point could be construed to be used for stadium improvements. I believe Toronto FC used transfer fee money to install grass after playing on fake turf for their first few years.

24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your opinion. It's definitely an in improvement, however, arguably perhaps not a necessary one. And didn't the agreement between the city and the owners on the land conversion deal have language in it that said the team needed to spend $10 million on "improvements" to the stadium and that they specifically mentioned an exterior skin? The city definitely considered it an improvement.
    I understand your industrial/minimalist viewpoint when it comes to the current state of the stadium, but, unfortunately this unwillingness to spend permeates every aspect of the franchise, (outside of forking over big $ to secure the services of Almeyda).
    I believe it was you that has mentioned in the past that we have one of the smallest FO's in the league, our team training site is probably the skimpiest, we have no permanent academy facility, and we have yet to sign a "known" player.
    This "small team" attitude is probably one reason we have (apparently) yet to secure both a stadium and jersey sponsor for this upcoming season. We are probably looking for major league money, but, we look like a minor league operation.

bsman and Goodsport repped this.
  25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is getting a bit too semantic about things, but does changing what the field is made of count as a stadium improvement? The field is in the stadium, but it's not really the stadium itself. In other words, I see how a team could lobby the league to use transfer money to make the actual soccer product better by installing grass or what have you. I don't know that they'd be able to make as strong a case for making the stadium building itself look nicer.

I do think that point is a little vague on purpose, as those decisions have to be approved by the other league owners, anyway, so it doesn't have to be quite so firm as what constitutes a league or team investment could change considerably over time.