The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    just saw that! Great -- now let's re-sign our first Homegrown player!

Beerking, SJTillIDie and tenfourteen repped this.
  3. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Great news...

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
  5. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It would be awesome to have a coach who is willing to play Colvey and Lima and just let them go to work without the fear of being yanked for Wynne or Francis.

Beerking, alexiskool1991, DotMPP and 2 others repped this.
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. Part of being a professional is competition. A huge problem with the Quakes has been a lack of competition at certain positions. Young players need to compete every time they step on the field, not be handed a position.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Same for old ones

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly! I am tired of the overly-conservative crap where we are so worried about a young player making a mistake we keep trotting out mediocre veterans. As I mentioned in another thread, Justin Morrow had 9 starts in his career when he was more or less handed the LB starting job in 2012. A few months later he was an MLS all-star. Sure they should have to compete for the job. They should get to compete for the starting job, which is something that I don't really think they are allowed currently. I don't think we saw enough of Colvey last year for me to say that Francis "beat him out". IMO he did not.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That's what I meant -- and as far as I can tell our crappy veterans are handed starting spots despite poor performances, with little opportunity for young players to show they are better.

Sactown Soccer and JazzyJ repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I say otherwise? In fact, I stated that was part of the problem with the Quakes. We didn't have the competition whether young, old, or broken.

13. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If they're good enough to start let them start. Our coaches have relied too much on "experience" instead of best to play the position.

JazzyJ repped this.
  14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does his signing mean no chance of Marvell Wynne returning?

15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Mercury News reporter Elliot Almond, the Quakes want to sign Wynne to a new contract.

16. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 11 open roster spots, I think. Lima was about getting a guy that they know well and they think can play at this level. Wynne is about getting a versatile vet with a couple more seasons in him--he just has to be on a reasonable contract. Hard to know if any other clubs are out there that would value him more.

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not all that familiar with the union rules, but I would assume they couldn't significantly reduce his salary considering he's been in the league so long and his performance this year was good. He won't make what Goodson made, so that alone will make whatever he signs for more reasonable. Without Stewart and Goodson, paying Wynne won't make as big an impact overall. The other defenders really aren't very expensive.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole "free agency" thing is a mechanism for young players to get serious raises, and for older players to get the salaries reduced. Unless Marvell can hook on with another team, he's going to play for us at a reduced salary, which kind of sucks from a how the firm treats it's employees point of view.

So, I'm the one who's been complaining about our defenders forever, here's who we've got:

Big Vic (a mistake in my view)
    Andrés (should have played him more last season, so he'd be ready to lead our D this season)
    Cato (now listed as a defender, oddly)
    Francis (not good enough)
    Kip (right on!)
    Lima (right on!)

And we have Silva and Fatai who could play D in a pinch.

Normally, we think that we need eight defenders on the roster, so we need to sign two more to the first team, and we need to stash some with Reno. I think there's a good chance that we re-sign Marvell, but you never know. Cato and Lima would be our right back players? Not sure about that.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sarkodie is still under contract as well. I'm not sure what his ability to play center back would be, but he'll either fill in as necessary like he did last year or supplant Cato to start, which I think he should.

I looked up Lima to try to see where he might fit in, but accurate info was difficult to come by. The SJ article didn't include which position he played in and the Cal Bears site lists him as a forward. It's amusing but incredibly frustrating that even basic info from a pretty well regarded men's soccer program at the college level is practically worthless.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Don't worry -- here's a picture from a Quakes preseason training session showing the crack coaching staff assigning players to their positions:

[​IMG]

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    As far as I know, he started as a forward but moved to outside back. I think he actually played left back as a right-footed player, making him sort of an "inverted fullback". Colvey is right-footed also I think but often plays left back. But he crosses well with either foot.

22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hmm, that makes it even more curious. At 5'9" he certainly wouldn't make the most aerial center back, but something tells me that's where Kinnear wants to put him. If you're right, Lima would make the third left back the team signs. So either Kinnear doesn't want to use him there or maybe he just really loves competition in the outside spots. There's evidence for that as he kept switching up Stewart and Francis despite Stewart routinely putting in worse games than Francis.

That leads me to think Kinnear really might not have learned anything this season, and that's not surprising but still frightening.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes website says that Sarkodie is out of contract. I do not suggest that that information is 100% accurate, but it is what the website says.

I thought I heard that Lima was a right back, but I can't be certain of that. He does play as an outside defender, and a good player should be able to switch sides.

I agree that college sports team websites are lousy. :cry:

Go Quakes!!
    Hire te Kloese!!

- Mark

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm guessing that Lima could play on either the right or the left, and in fact in Kinnear's "system" he would not want them cutting in as much as providing width. If he's right-footed he is probably better at delivering crosses from the right side. Colvey can also play on either side. So I would not get too hung up on the "left back" thing.

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's possible that the report I read was wrong. I would hope the team's website tracker specifically made for this task would be up to date.

In any case, if they aren't going to sign Sarkodie to another contract, then Lima's signing isn't so unusual. Probably leaves Cato without a spot unless another right midfield player goes unsigned. I'll be curious to see Lima. Hopefully he'll get time during preseason. Pretty clear that Dom will stay with four in the back, which is a waste, but what can you do?

markmcf8 repped this.