The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The great thing about the scientific method is that you can discern a lot when you remove a variable. If Stahre's "idiocy" in holding post-game midfield meetings (and other idiosyncratic behavior) was the source of strife on the team, we should have expected to see an immediate improvement in the results when Stahre was removed. Yet Ralston's interim record was worse.

Not saying you're wrong about Stahre, but there are obviously other variables at play.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Stahre's post-game midfield lectures were hurting the team's performance, but they were stupid, pointless, bush league, and embarrassing, so in any case I'm glad they're gone even if that didn't change the results.

3. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kill this thread!

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're only going to have to revive it when Stahre becomes FIFA president or Secretary General of the UN. :)

dag hammerskjold.jpg

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told that at HT, the stats guy was telling players what to do in the 2H

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo will revive it long before then.

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1307 markmcf8, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Of course not! :thumbsup:

I had a long and meaningful conversation with Neal, and he never made me feel like I didn't know what I was talking about. At the time, he was the assistant GM under Lynne Metaperel. I - naturally enough - was advocating that the team fire Loathesome Lothar. It worked out OK in the long run.

Stahre has been a good coach in Sweden, I expect that he will be again. He badly underestimated the level of quality in MLS. He failed to understand that most teams play high pressure all over the field. He never caught on to the need for foot speed in our league. He played Eriksson at every opportunity, even though Eriksson was manifestly crap.

We could go on at length about the myriad mistakes that Dim Stahre made, but screw that. Let's have a much freaking better 2019!!!!

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

davez repped this.
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hopefully one with Tom Neale as well. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1309 falvo, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    For what reason, and why would I or anyone else for that matter, want to possibly revive this thread?

Who cares about Stahre?

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After the first game, I was sort of surprised his wife didn't bring a tupperware full of orange wedges for the team at halftime...

lazlo325 and davez repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Gman! I feared that I was misspelling his name, but it was late and I didn't feel like looking it up.

Yes, Tom Neale was great.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Goodsport repped this.
  12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did Ralston and he had to know that his career was in the balance. Yet Raston continued to play Magnus. Why? And why were better players, performing at a higher level, subbed before him?

I can't get my head wrapped around this. There HAS to be some financial incentive in his contract, such that the Quakes were forced to play him a certain number of minutes. If that's true, culpability draws way further than Stahre.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have considered this theory, as well. But I believe the pre-Matias brain-trust valued him much more highly than the fans. Eriksson does have certain high level skills such as his shot and his long-range passing, but we fans recognize that his lack of speed and utter inability to win one-on-one encounters, not to mention his cynical flopping as a way of compensating, are such serious deficiencies that they significantly outweigh what he brings to the table. They may have been too dazzled by what he does really well to fully appreciate that, on balance, he's terrible.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how the team would have any financial incentive to play him? Other than that we paid a bundle for him, but he was clearly not good enough.

Also, I don't think Ralston was calling the shots entirely when he was "in charge." Or maybe he was, and like Stahre before him, was poleaxed by Magnus's long range bomb. (So I agree with @don gagliardi more than you on this, but who really knows?)

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's probably the amount of money they spent. Usually when players continue to play despite not producing results, it's because there's enough money wrapped up in it that they can't admit as an organization that they made a huge mistake. Or there are just no other options. The Quakes had some options, so I'd bet it's the former.

I think Eriksson did just enough to make it look reasonable to keep him out there (despite it obviously being a major problem). A lot of poor decisions being made each week last year. Hopefully that kind of stuff will be curbed by Almeyda's staff.

Sactown Soccer and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many assume it was Stahre who had a say in who played ... it was Jesse, and he sucks at it! He pulled all the strings for both Stahre AND Ralston. Jesse is the one who thought (thinks?) Tarbell is the best. Magnus was Jesse's man! They were going to do great and were given EVERY chance to prove it. Sadly, they both disappointed. Ask any player. Jesse needs to let the new coach do his job, which we can only hope Matias will do.

mjlee22 and chris thebassplayer repped this.
  17. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yep, the proof was Ralston still played mag and Vako. Ralston's been around the block, he knows what works and what stinks on ice. He saw a whole season of that bullshit...should never happen, but I absolutely believe there was pressure from Fioranelli to play the big money lemons.

I can't imagine Fioranelli will be dumb enough to try that with Almeyda...he's his freakin life line.

mjlee22 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyka ($540,000) could barely get minutes all season long, Flo ($566.000) found the bench on a few occasions, Ockford ($67,000) often played ahead of Quintana ($341,000) or Cummings ($300,000), and Partida ($54,000) found the field ahead of Qwiberg ($167,000). So, there were many occasions where Jesse's signings, (or higher paid players) sat while others found the field.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I know this is the Stahre thread, but I’m not convinced that Ralston was any better than Stahre. If the information that Leitch gave Ralston set piece responsibilities last year when Kinnear was let go is true, then that convinces me that Ralston is a poor coach. As a matter of fact, I’ve often wondered if Leitch could have ended up getting to coach last year if he would have insisted on letting Ralston go with Kinnear and bringing in someone like Troy Dayak as assistant coach to work on Quakes set pieces and defensive responsibilities. Last year’s team was SO SOFT in dead ball situations and if they had been just average they would have had more points and MUCH better goal differential.

Boysinblue and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  20. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The only reason Magnus played late in the season was to see if he could catch fire and entice another team to pick him up. No way he gets picked up by sitting on the bench and I'm sure the Quakes FO realized he was not cutting it in MLS.

There was very little intention by any of the coaching staff to play him, it was all on the FO.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is incoherent. The FO realized Magnus couldn't cut it in MLS but insisted on playing him, anyway? I understand the supposed rationale was that he would "catch fire" and therefore be marketable to other MLS teams, but the rationale is equally incoherent. If he couldn't cut it in MLS, he couldn't catch fire. And, of course, he didn't.

The more plausible theory is that the FO and/or the coaches thought much more highly of Eriksson than the fans. Someone was deluded in the Quakes organization. We just don't know who or how many or if they're still around.

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I agree with your more plausible theory but it does seem they are trying to deal him out to another club. At what point did they finally realize he's not what the team needs? Or maybe it's Magnus who realized he's not thriving here and asked to get out?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The rumors are Eriksson is going back to Sweden, where it seems the competition is less stiff. I doubt any other MLS team would have interest.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Yes, and it could be Almeyda who was the one that asked for him to be traded away if possible.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course.