The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If he did, a million-dollar payout would mean he was making about $200k per year. Hard to believe.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m surprised they thought that highly of him.

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    from what I can gather he had a two year, $2,000,000.00 contract which is why he get's a $1,000,000.00 golden parachute. that's just based on what I've picked up around here though, could be wrong. seems really high, especially under the circumstances.

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be an insane salary for possibly the worst coach in MLS history... I figured 3 years $1.5 million, that would be $500k a year and mean we ate $1m.

5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    ahh, you're probably right. either way, he makes out like a bandit.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1256 falvo, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    After thinking it over more, for a european D1 coach, $1-2million is not a lot of money.

Clubs actually get bonus and sponsorship money for not getting relegated and a lot more for advancing in domestic cups, position in the table or when they make the Europa or Champions League. That is how many clubs stay afloat.

Therefore , it may be a lot by MLS standards, but it’s fairly average, even below by most leagues. Looking at it that way, giving Stahre $2 mil may sound like a lot but it’s pocket change for the average coach.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This meme is dedicated to falvo and to Marvell Wynne. :)

cat and money.jpg

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now that’s for innocent!

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Paper and felines?

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1260 Goodsport, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never believed in blaming a coach completely because it has to do with players. Still, whether it came from above or not, he had a crap record and that ultimately gets the coach fired.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting if Stahre really said those things and is putting some blame on Jesse for interference.
    Seems strange though that he would bad-mouth the guy who hired him so soon after being let go. Normally one should hold off until they’ve secured their next coaching position...

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yet more evidence that Stahre is not someone who gives a whole lot of thought to anything. I don't know how he convinced Fioranelli to hire him in the first place. I suppose that suggests Fioranelli is even dumber than Stahre, which is truly frightening.

Beerking repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah well jumping-to-conclusions hat on, perhaps Stahre’s loose lips mean that he knows Jesse is going down too.
    I can only hope...

Beerking repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Who Fire Mika Stahre article:

It may also imply that the upper management is not pleased with Fioranelli as general manager and took matters into their own hands for the good of the club in Stahre’s sacking. If so, Jesse could be on thin ice once the season ends, and may be the next member of the soccer operations team to see the door.​

Well, there you have it! If Tom Fox was involved in firing Mika, or worse yet, Fox and others, then yeah, Jesse is on thin ice.

I think for this to work out best, the GM and the head coach have to be on the same page. They need to have a shared vision of how the team should play, how they should be organized, what the strategy and overall style should be.

We'll see how this plays out, but ... I'm glad that Stahre is gone, and I'm hopeful for what the future will bring.

I also have lots of high quality whiskey on hand, just in case.

GO Quakes!!

- Mark

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not unless they already paid him off....

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Jesse wanted Stahre, so there probably wasn't a lot of convincing to be done. Jesse had a vision on what he wanted in a team and thought Stahre would be a good fit for that vision.

markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1268 falvo, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    I believe that Jesse thought a european lower level coach would’ve done good in mls. I haven’t seen many euro based coaches do all that much though. Colorado’s Englishman Gary Smith won the mls cup back in 2010 and Steve Nicol made the finals with the Revs a few times but he had been living state side for a while. I can’t recall too many others who came over doing all that much or winning anything.

19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From Reddit:

Långintervju med Mikael Stahre: "Inte jättekul att vara en förlorare" (Long interview with Mikael Stahre, "Not great fun to be a loser")

fotbollskanalen.se/usa/la...

cindybuttsmacker

29 points· 1 day ago· edited 1 day ago
    Here is my translation that I've done as a Danish speaker:

Sub-headline: Mikael Stahre gets the boot from San Jose Earthquakes. This is after a season with only four MLS victories under the Swedish coach. "Although the timing is unexpected, we've been bad all season," says Stahre in an interview with The Football Channel.
    Mikael Stahre quit Häcken in November of last year to join MLS with San Jose. The club has had a rough go under the Swedish coach, and has had only four wins this season and is last in the league. On Monday evening Swedish time, San Jose removed Stahre from the position of head coach, even though there are only six games left in the season.
    "Although the timing is unexpected, we have been bad the whole season, even though we have had a slightly better period, gotten some new players, and been a bit more stable. Even though the results were relatively weak, we were more stable and we also had some better wins against the top team in our division," said Stahre in an interview with The Football Channel.
    "Over the last few months, the club had figured out the situation and our limitations, so there weren't any hard feelings. We lost 5-1 and were damn weak against SKC, while they were also very good. It was the first match we had lost so badly, the other matches we more or less lost by one goal when we did lose. So in that way, it was a bit of a lightning bolt from clear skies. But at the same time, with all overseas assignments, it takes a fair amount of effort to coach."
    Question: You didn't have any indications from the club that they were reviewing the coaching situation?
    "Nope. As we say here, the coach always leads the discussion when a team does poorly. That's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be. The timing was really surprising, that we couldn't have had a conversation about how it looked after the season ended. It's clear that I personally am also not interested in continuing with a partnership/business where you know that you're not competitive and can keep up with the competition. But that it happened now was surprising. There hasn't been any conflict in any way. As I understood it, it's the leadership above the GM that wanted to see a change in the last six matches and see a better shot, and you can respect that."
    San Jose has had 13 one-goal losses this season. Mikael Stahre thinks that they could have had more points from more games, but ultimately the team has been coming close without getting results.
    "You may have some points of reference when you come to a new job, and references for a new league that is different from what you're used to. And it's clear that we won the first game and it was good. Since then, we played a bunch of games where we were actually close the whole time, but for some reason we could never do better than close. We have been close to getting more points and winning more games, but we haven't been good enough. And this is first and foremost a defensive game. We've scored a lot of goals, and I think our attacking players have in all regards had a good season. But defensively we've come under fire, and against all of the skillful attacking players in MLS, neither our defensive players nor our organization have been sharp enough to stand up to our opponents' skill," Stahre says.
    "We haven't been good enough, that's crystal clear. But for the most part, I have had the privilege of only being at the bottom of the table a few times. But it's clear that anyone who's been down there at some point knows the same thing, that you get close but can't get better than close, and you don't have the margins to do that. But ultimately it comes down to quality. Over time, things usually pan out and you can overcome bad luck. You can win 10 games or win 6, draw 2, and lose 2. But it's clear that if you choke week after week, or you never win, then it's clear that it's not about luck. You're not good enough. Sure, we could have taken x amount of points from the matches, but we didn't. We just weren't good enough."
    Question: Is there anything you think you could have done better?
    "You come to a new environment, a newly put together group, a new coaching staff, and it's a good foundation of players and leaders. Clearly we should have done things differently, since this led to a bad run of matches, and I'm not sure that I should be honest. Of course you as the coach should hold yourself responsible, but in this case I think it's a really complicated issue. And it's not just about the coach or the squad, it's the whole thing that didn't work. Purely speaking of skills, we couldn't match the others, our defense could never keep up with the opposing offenses. You can always find things you should have done differently, but now it might be an advantage in learning what to do for the next time around."
    After it became clear that San Jose would miss the playoffs, he experienced the club accepting the situation, and cooperation became a bit more harmonious.
    "There was more acceptance of our situation. As someone once told me, when you're in the shit you shouldn't swim around in it, but try to find a way up out of it. Don't swim around and get yourself in more trouble, accept the situation and get yourself out of it. And I think we tried to do that every day. The group has really mobilized itself this fall in a good way. It's a good group of people, and at its foundation I think the club is also good, so it's too bad. But it is what it is."
    Mikael Stahre doesn't know what he'll do next.
    "My contract extends to next season as well. This whole thing is still very fresh. I met the leaders and the players today, and they're getting ready for a match against Atlanta, which I really hope has a good result. The guy who is taking over was one of my assistant coaches and is a great guy in all respects, so I wish him all the best going forward. We'll see how it all plays out. I also live in the US now, so there's a lot of practical matters and paperwork I have to sort out now."
    Question: When you say that your contract extends through next season, am I correct in interpreting this as you'll get paid for that whole duration?
    "In all likelihood, yes. There are always discussions, there are always details and clauses to be found. But at the root of it, yes."
    Stahre doesn't want to rush himself into a new job, but is confident that an exciting new job will pop up at some point.
    "I'm in a line of work that I know has a lot of high requirements, and I know that it's risky work. Above all you must try to challenge yourself and take on challenging assignments. And really any assignment can be a challenge. But you must be open, and I can't shut the door on anything. All I know is that I'll be coaching football again soon, regardless of if that's in two weeks, two months, one year or two years, I don't know. Two years later could be a while, one year too. But we'll see, there could go some time in the middle. All I know is that I'll be coaching again really soon."
    Question: How do you see this year affecting your chances of getting similar jobs again?
    "Obviously it's not fun to be a loser like I have this year. It's a new situation for me, losing more matches than you win. So it's an experience I maybe rather wouldn't have had, but over time I'll see the good in it. But it's clear that I want to let go of this season's shit. But with time it's really good for one to experience handling a situation you would rather have avoided. Obviously you see yourself as a winner and there's no damn fun in losing a bunch of games. It's not good and it's not good for anybody's reputation. If you look at how my teams have done over time, they've been significantly more successful than this one, and as I said, we'll see. I'm humble, there are a lot of really good coaches and not so many openings. But again, I'm being open, and something will come of something. But I also must practice some discretion. I want an interesting job and of course I want one with the pieces to win matches and titles, and preferably one where I have full control over my area. This way, you can mold the team how you like, and train it how you like, while also doing what the club wants. But ultimately, you have to be the coach and take responsibility for it."
    Question: Are you considering Allsvenskan?
    "I'm open to everything and won't rush into anything. I know I have qualities. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. I have my strengths and I believe in myself. And I think I have the greater part of my career ahead of me, and hopefully I can be even better next time. Wherever it is, we'll see."

xbhaskarx and mjlee22 repped this.
  20. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the ownership and Tom Fox saw attendance at a all time low and season ticket renewal dropping at an alarming rate so they forced Jesse to fire the coach. Even though Jesse preached "trust the plan"....

going to be an interesting off season :eek:

xbhaskarx and Beerking repped this.
  21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1271 mjlee22, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Don’t forget that Patrick Viera did very well in his first 2 (?) years as a head coach.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1272 falvo, Sep 22, 2018
    Maybe but he also had the financial backing of the management behind him and came in after the expansion year when the club was more settled. He also lost his two playoff games both years. Jason Kreis won an MLS Cup and didn't have a huge international name like Patrick Vieira did/does.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well but NYCFC also played attractive soccer under Viera. So he might disprove your theory...

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1274 falvo, Sep 22, 2018
    Yeah he still bailed midseason and didn't win anything. Again, a coach isn't measured by Supporters Shields or Open Cup wins, they are judged by MLS CUP wins. .

upload_2018-9-22_20-0-32.png

Gary Smith was the only foreigner who won it all. Rongen, Yallop, Schmid and Nowak all were in the league or living in North America forever. Therefore, I still don't believe in how successful a foreign coach is or will be. At least not as far as MLS is concerned. Gerardo Martino seems to be doing well in Atlanta but he also has a wealthy ownership group with huge attendance backing him up. It remains to be seen if he will win a Cup though.

Interestingly, looking at that list, between Frank and Dom, the Quakes are responsible for having 4 MLS Cup winning trophies and/or coaches.

25. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    This team has taken an arguably unprecedented (in MLS anyway) season long beat down. This sort of thing happens only when everyone in the organization is on a different page. Fixing it is obvious, but getting it done is going to take commitment from the top down. At this point, a protracted period of finger pointing is useless. Some serious discussion better be the order of the day, all of it coming from the top at this point...my opinion anyway.

mjlee22 repped this.