The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Not really a long way to go at all. Socarchist took it the same way I did, so I'm not sure it's all that far-fetched.

Anyway, when it comes to name-calling, the name caller doesn't get to tell the recipient how they are allowed to feel about being called that word. The recipient is going to feel how they are going to feel. And of course it is the name-caller's choice whether or not they want to care about how the person felt.

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I told Socachist that I was truly sorry he felt that way, because it was not my intent for the word to be interpreted that way. But, for some reason this is not good enough for you. Like many topics you choose to comment on here, you are like the proverbial dog on a bone, you have to keep chewing away on it, and can't let go until your opinion is the one standing at the end.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this what rock bottom looks like?

davez and Beerking repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't ask. It could get worse.

This is bad, and it shows dysfunction on several levels. But there are still a couple of more layers of hell for us to plumb.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

5. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Mark, I fear you are right, I don't think Jessie and the rest of senior management understand how dysfunctional this team has become.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It wasn't a criticism of you when I said that "it is the name-caller's choice whether or not they want to care about how the person felt". I saw what you wrote to Socarchist. It was just a general statement.

No, Don G. brought up the word "snowflake" and specifically asked me to respond about that word in regard to "pansy" vs. "daisy", etc. So I did, and that led to a little bit of etymology, etc.

And then I responded to this from SalinasQuakesFan "Every one is free to assign whatever meaning they feel to words as it is the individual who assigns what the word means to them" because I had something to say about that.

It takes 2 to tango, and it is double-standard to characterize me as a "dog on a bone" when there are a bunch of dogs on the bone here in this forum :).

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did I just hear someone call for an NFL analogy? :)

DotMPP repped this.
  8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also here is Marcus Stroman calling out his team yesterday.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On PPG, we should have been in spot 23 for the last three weeks at least. And let's not overlook the loss in Montréal. We are on a twelve game winless skid. That's crap, no matter how you look at it. The Power Standing guys should have rated us #24 this week. They could easily have rated us #26, behind the expansion teams that haven't started yet, because at least those guys haven't lost any games yet.

Go Quakes!!
    We suck!!
    Management doesn't care!!

- Mark

Beerking, davez and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    • MLS Injury report:
    • OUT: D - Kevin Partida (knee injury)
    • QUESTIONABLE: F - Quincy Amarikwa (rib injury)
    • M - Anibal Godoy (undisclosed injury)
    • M - Fatai Alashe (groin injury)

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this report for the ManU game?
    Why did this come out today? Is that normal timing?

12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The report comes for this page, last updated July 17th: https://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The more interesting question is, why the "undisclosed" nature of Godoy's injury which makes him questionable to play? Amarikwa's and Alashe's knocks are set forth.

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "NOTE: This injury report is compiled on an ongoing basis by MLSsoccer.com editors based on club game notes, news reports, and original reporting. Last Updated: July 17, 2018"

Hmmmmm. We don't have an MLS game until next Wed. Don't teams usually hold that info pretty close until they can't deny it? Just seems a bit contrived. Of course, I am ever suspicious!

davez, Beerking and bsman repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, you’re right. Injury reports generally only come out the same week as a game (IIRC, generally Wednesday for a Saturday game).

Beerking, mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Sure. Up until the point one of those parties 1) feels aggrieved by their interpretation of the word and 2) thinks he/she can get a braying mob to back him/her up. Then all bets are off.

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And do teams usually report injuries before a Friendly?

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never considered the Injury Report to be an exact science.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense
    daisy-duck-temporary-tattoo_dsny-sm-11.jpg

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    BTW, about this whole Florian Jungwirth "my teammates are not good enough to compete" stuff, I remember some players talking up the team in preseason. Flo implied that he knew that the roster was woefully inept before the season started. Here's another view. In short, I don't think all the players agree with Flo, and Wondo's retweet of Jordan Stewart's criticism of Flo's comments is more fodder.

“We threw away the old playbook,” striker Chris Wondolowski, who is entering his 10th year with the Earthquakes told me earlier this week. “We have quality that I have not seen on this San Jose team since I’ve been here.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03...kes-mls-2018-schedule-tv-time-tommy-thompson/

BTW, there is a lot of really painful stuff to read in there, like this:

"Gone is the overly pragmatic, direct, downright English (sorry, but it’s true) style of soccer coaches Mark Watson and Dom Kinnear. In its place comes an attacking, pressing style championed by new coach Mikael Stahre.

These Earthquakes are poised to look nothing like the teams you’ve seen over the last five years."

And Thompson, so far, appears to the player benefitting most from the big change.

“I feel like the coaching staff believes in me — it’s a special feeling. I step on the field and I’m comfortable,” Thompson said. “This is the happiest I’ve been — I feel like part of this organization.”

Unless something really dramatic happens, TT is currently on pace to get the least minutes of his MLS career this year, by a wide margin, and about 1/5 of the minutes he got last year. Leitch really believed in him. Stahre and his staff do not.

bobby_guzman, SJTillIDie and bsman repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #948 JazzyJ, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    "As for the environment in the locker room, a source close to the club said that “the players who are regularly on the bench feel they have no possibilities, regardless of what they do.”

This is one of the major issues. He hasn't rotated the squad nearly enough - keeps trotting out the same guys, who collectively almost never win, is reluctant and late to make subs. Hyka and TT, to name two, can barely get a game. Backup keeper gets no chance, even in USOC I believe. So guys don't feel the competition, the starters get complacent and then start to burn out, the guys on the bench get frustrated, etc.

When you aren't winning, oftentimes you discover good things about your roster when you start switching it up. And that can help get you out of the gutter.

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking repped this.
  23. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Clueless.

"We have technical and tactical things to solve, so we can win more games." How about a game?

He confuses workaholism with effectiveness. Ask a staffer about him and the response is usually something like "he is working really hard." Same with the 24/7 quotes from himself and Jungwirth.

Seems like the vibe is that he is some sort of super hard working, tactical genius so the players are lucky to get a chance to play for him. Because to be in the presence of brilliance......

While both he and the GM are completely out of their element.

Freaking sad.

davez and Beerking repped this.