The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    But what would that prove after they've had a chance to be groomed by the front office Don?

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo's remarks don't affirmatively prove anything, but the fact of his remarks disproves the blanket notion that "Stahre comes off incompetent no matter which way you look at it." Because if you look at it like Wondo (at least says he) does, Stahre is not incompetent.

3. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So we are greater than 50% worse this year, than we were last year. Is my math right?

Beerking repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We "suck" is the technical (ambiguously homophobic) term. Jazzy can provide the data. :)

5. SSF Soccer

SSF Soccer Member

May 2, 2007
    South San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what Wondo's comments show.....he is the captain, the face of the franchise, the leader in the locker room and someone who takes responsibility for the performance of the team. He will never throw anyone including the staff under the bus. He has way too much class to do so. I am sure he is disappointed at the way things have gone, but he owns it and doesn't point fingers. That is why, no matter what happens, he's the man and many could learn from his example.

tenfourteen, lazlo325, NedZ and 4 others repped this.
  6. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A captain should also stand up for his teammates. Maybe he talked to Alashe and Godoy privately and then came out and supported the coaches decision publicly. But since the organization has remained quiet for a third day, it doesn’t seem like a good sign.

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The expression "you suck," "we suck," "that sucks," and so on may derive from a 1930's expression: "___ sucks canal water through a paper straw." So not necessarily homophobic, but more of a gross, useless, and stupid thing to do.

Or it maybe it is homophobic in origin, but certainly doesn't carry that connotation for most people today.

Go Quakes!!
    We suck like a Dyson!!

- Mark

DotMPP repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And yet Don Garber is apoplectic when "suck" is used as part of the YSA chant. Or is it "asshole" that is homophobic? Or maybe the combination? :)

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. If you look at the Audi Player Index data that I uploaded, Wondo statistically sucks this season. He has only statistically performed well in 2 home games vs LAFC and LAG. He doesn't deserve to be starting. He can't even get up for 17 of 19 games.

If he were taking ownership for the problems, he would remove himself from the starting lineup.

When you are not performing, it is deflating to the other players that you are still starting. And you are captain? And you support a coach who is an imbecile? That's wrong. That's a recipe for the crap stew the team is feeding on.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Incompetent 100% of the time or only when he's coaching our team? :D

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Oh, sweet leaping Moses.....:rolleyes:

12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Suck" is historically a homophobic insult. You suck c--k. Now broadened into a general insult.

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I haven't had the chance to cross-examine Wondo yet. :)

Beerking repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don’t really care about what the front office says once they have their meetings and come up with a party line. I don’t even care what ‘really’ happened re: injuries or not. The fact that EVERY ‘disinterested’ party commenting on the sequence of events at Montreal seems to find it a “nightmare”, “humiliating,” “inconceivable”, “shitshow”, etc. And, whatever you think - perception IS reality. A smoothly-functioning team would not be perceived thusly.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ESPN article which ran earlier this year, a month before the New England Patriots played in yet another Super Bowl:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

Widely-perceived dysfunction is meaningless.

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    NFL comparisons are perceived as meaningless by many as well. :)

17. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You people are funny!

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because the Quakes and MLS have a monopoly on perceived dysfunction.

19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe Godoy picked up a bug in Russia which flared up on the pitch during the Montreal game. Perhaps the urge to stain his pants in public came and went as he played on. That could explain why he might at times ask for a sub then a few minutes later think he could continue. That yellow card tackle may have brought it on again, and when the opportunity came to be subbed out his his attention was squarely on getting to the toilet in the locker room as directly as possible. And the coach, to spare Anibal embarrassment, used the term "injury". I have no reason to assume this is the case, but it makes a much sense as any other explanation until we hear from the player himself. :sick:

DotMPP repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Putin meddling in Quakes games again. The Russians also hacked into the Quakes' social media and removed Alashe's postgame interview. :)

21. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I use the word suck all the time. I never heard it was homophobic, I thought it came from sucking an egg. Uh, whatever that meant.

24. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    A daisy is much closer to a pansy than a snowflake (a highly profound statement, I know). Both flowers, with similar sounding names.

In terms of etymology, Earth's description of how the word was meant to be used "My neighbor was calling his grandson-in-law a wimp because he couldn't take the heat", is similar to one of the common explanations as to how "pansy" became a disparaging word to describe a gay man "a weak or effeminate man or boy usually disparaging : a male homosexual".

"None of the reference works I've checked offers any discussion of how pansy came to be applied to effeminate or homosexual men beyond Merriam-Webster's listing it as a later definition drawn from the flower sense of pansy. The simplest explanation is essentially that a pansy is a delicate flower, and so (in the 1920s, at any rate) to call a man a delicate flower was to call him effeminate."

So to call a male a the name of a "delicate flower" is to call him effeminate. Delicate / weak / can't take the heat, these are all related concepts. If nothing else, I think given the similarity of "pansy" to "daisy", and that "daisy" otherwise doesn't have a known meaning in the context that Earth's neighbor used it, it is certainly possible that it was used as a kind of "stealth" proxy to "pansy" or even that he meant to say "pansy" but "daisy" came out instead (because he forgot exactly what flower it was :) - being 85 years old and all). And it's certainly possible that someone would take it to be homophobic, and I think Socarchist said he did take it that way.

Anyway, I'm not "morally outraged" or anything, just explaining why I took it it to be homophobic.

25. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow that sure is a long way to go to reach that conclusion. Every one is free to assign whatever meaning they feel to words as it is the individual who assigns what the word means to them.

alexiskool1991 repped this.