The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Stop digging. :)

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    No, not just "my interpretation".

Pansy
    a disparaging + offensive : a weak or effeminate man or boy
    b disparaging + offensive : a male homosexual

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who called anyone a pansy?

tectonicnight and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do my digging in the hot sun, without a fan.;)

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just make sure there are no water breaks. :)

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I wrote:

Very good - he was smart enough, even in "those days", to avoid more homophobic terms like "pansy" and "daisy".

In response, you wrote: "That's your interpretation"

And I showed you that it's not just my interpretation.

I interpret "daisy" to be a slight variation of "pansy". In either case you calling someone a "flower". I think the intent is the same.

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was not my intent and I told Socharist that I was truly sorry he took it that way. You can think what you want.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That reminds me of last week - every time the Morelia GK took a goal kick, the ubiquitous shouts of "PVTO" would ring out. So very clever...

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if this is true. There appears to be a long lineage for "pansy" as an anti-homosexual slur (and interestingly as a 19th century symbol of Free Thought and Humanism.) Can the same be said for "daisy" or the generic term, "flower"?

Compare:

The word "pansy" has indicated an effeminate male since Elizabethan times and its usage as a disparaging term for a man or boy who is effeminate, as well as for an avowedly homosexual man, is still used.[citation needed] The word "ponce" (which has now come to mean a pimp) and the adjective "poncey" (effeminate) also derive from "pansy". . . .

As an emblem

. . . Because its name means "thought", the pansy was chosen as a symbol of
    Freethought[18] and has been used in the literature of the American Secular Union. Humanists use it too, as the pansy's current appearance was developed from the heartsease by two centuries of intentional crossbreeding of wild plant hybrids. The specific colors of the flower – purple, yellow, and white – are meant to symbolize memories, loving thoughts and souvenirs, respectively.[9] The Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) uses the pansy symbol extensively in its lapel pins and literature. The flower has long been associated with human manner, as one man cleverly stated: “Nature sports as much with the colours of this little flower as she does with the features of the human countenance.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansy

[no reported cultural connotations for the word "daisy"]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    "Daisy" doesn't have the historical baggage that "pansy" has, but then it generally means something quite different than the way it was used here - like something that is excellent or bright and enthusiastic. That's why I believe it is a kind of a bit of a stealth proxy for pansy in this context.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What about "snowflake"? That's the right-wing slur for left-wing college students with delicate sensibilities. Is that also homophobic?

Earthshaker and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really. It's a play on people thinking that they are special and unique, which in fact, we all are, in an absolute scientific sense.

BUT!!!! Why hasn't Mikael Stahre been fired yet? What are we waiting for? Does the club somehow hope that this will blow over? Or that fans, reporters, and other will believe the bogus story they put out about both players getting injured? But miraculously walking off the pitch without a limp? Either of them??

Ridiculous!!

Fire Stahre now!!

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

13. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The way I’ve heard snowflake used around campuseses is more on the soft, daisy, pansy side than the individual argument. Similar to the “back in my day...” as to suppose that being masculine/feminine was different than today.

I assume they’ll have to address it when both players are or aren’t in the squad for the ManU friendly. Or is the MLS injury report done on a weekly basis, even if we have a bye?

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Isn't Bigsoccer all about speculation? ;)

There are facts associated with my conclusions (but some jumping too).

First, we know by eyewitnesses that Stahre was yelling constant instructions to Godoy from almost the beginning of the game. He was said to have used several obscenities. Alashe was sent to warm up at the 22 minute mark. This is 4 minutes before Godoy even committed his yellow card foul. Clearly Stahre was upset with how Godoy was playing but he must have changed his mind about replacing Godoy then because Alashe was called back to the bench after a short warm up.

The Godoy injury was speculated to have occured during the yellow card tackle. He certainly didn't play aggressive afterwards, mostly slow jogging and watching play. According to Starhe comments, it looks like he asked Godoy to try and play longer, perhaps until halftime. At some point, Stahre changed his mind and had Alashe go back to warm up again. Witnessess report that Alashe was barely in the warm up area a minute and he was waved to come to the center line to sub in for Godoy.

Witnessess say Godoy did not look at the coaches or the bench when he was subbed out but walked directly out of the staduim. No consulting with the training staff about his "injury" nor did he get an ice pack. He just left. Alashe finished the half and replays showed he might have tweaked his groin stretching for a ball in injury time. Whether that happened or not, we do know that instead of going in the locker room with the team, he stayed on the field and continued to warm up and stretch. Witnessess say he was running pretty normal to their eyes.

When the team came out from the locker room, Alashe was sweating and ready to start the second half. Cameras show the sub board with a cold Jimmy Ockford jumping up and down and quickly stretching before he enters the game. There is a heated debate between Stahre and the trainer on camera as well.

You saw what happened after that with the argument between Stahre and Alashe. Fatai went to the bench, did not get treatment and witnessess say he left before the end of the game and went to the locker room.

So Stahre on camera was arguing with Godoy, Alashe and his trainer. What would your conclusion be Don?

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing how you can decide what my intent was!:rolleyes: I heard an 85+ year old man use the term on his grandson-in-law (whom he probably figured wasn't gay) as a way to tease him about his aversion to working in the heat. Perhaps it was just his way of describing someone who wasn't being as tough as he thought he should.

don gagliardi repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #891 don gagliardi, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    I've already told you. My conclusion is that I want to hear from Alashe and from Godoy.

And your lengthy rendition leaves out Wondo's testimony that Stahre is blameless, which severely undercuts your earlier assertion that no matter what happened, Stahre is at fault ("Stahre comes off incompetent no matter which way you look at it.") (emphasis added).

17. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Also, did you just assume the gender of the 85 year old “man”? And did he assume his grandson-in-laws gender?

RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In rewatching the time from Godoy's YC tackle to substitution I really only saw him sprint once more, 28' mark, and after that chase he put his head down and hands on knees for a second. When he straightens up it looks like he kind of takes a half-step stumble backwards. After that he pretty much just walks and jogs around until substitution. He was clearly not in the game.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Same origin as "pansy".

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's evidently not, though. And you have not answered my question about "snowflake."

21. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can someone put on a percentage in terms of points how much worse we are this year than last year? We have like what 8 points or something now? What'd we have after same number of games last year? #lazy #icouldlookitupmyselfbutidontwantto

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes have 12 points.

23. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    19 games played. What'd we have last year after 19 games?

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A lot more than 12 points.

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village