The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Big deal! They were in 14th place in 2011 and 18th or next to last in 2014 and lost their last game to a team that folded. I don’t see the progress or improvement from year to year. If anything they keep taking three steps backwards if not more.

Everyone was giddy about making the playoffs last year even though we lost 5-0 and now we are a disgrace.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland failed to make the playoffs the year after winning MLS Cup. Toronto is on the same course this season.

bobby_guzman and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At least Portland won an MLS Cup in their fifth year. We are far from winning anything like that.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Losing 5-0, was a joke and an embarrassment. It would have been better to be eliminated.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By your logic, it would have been better if Brazil had not automatically qualified for the World Cup in 2014, considering the 7-1 spanking Germany delivered on Brazil's own soil.

bobby_guzman, alexiskool1991 and JazzyJ repped this.
  6. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're writing about one of your cousins, right?

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you comparing the two? Stahre is a coach, not a GM. Stahre is not making player acquisitions for the Quakes, that would be Jesse.

GM
    Billy Beane (now he's not even the GM, he's an Executive VP and part of the ownership group, the current GM is David Forst)
    Jesse Fioranelli

Coach/Manager
    Bob Melvin
    Mikael Stahre

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #633 falvo, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Considering some fans killed themselves, I'm sure their familes wished for that or at least thought that way.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I meant Jesse.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes , I was responding to the previous sequences of posts...

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That must be what Beerking was alluding to when he said we could all do better. :)

alexiskool1991 and Earthshaker repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The best I can do is that I’m still in mourining because of what another bunch of Swedes did! :cry::cry:

Couldn’t Stahre have been their national team coach? better. :)

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont blame Jessie yet......for this. I actually like a lot of the players hes brought in; Hyka, Vako, Jungwirth, Hoesen are obviously more than useful players.

Stahre, ive got nothing..........dude is literally BoB Bradley at Swansea, it cannot have gone much worse.

bobby_guzman and davez repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Some of those players, in particular Hyka, Hoesen, and Flo may have already been in discussions with the Quakes before Jessie joined. I remember reading rumors about at least some of before Jesse joined. Players who were definitely Jesse guys are:

Vako
    Affolter
    Eriksson
    Qwiberg
    Quintana

It is a pretty mixed bag, and that is being a bit polite really.

15. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or a birdie. Or both.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Or I can flip all of you and especially, Fisher , and Stahre the Bird! :):):)

As a fellow Italian, I can't bring myself to flip off Fioranelli! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

SWISS. NOT ITALIAN!!!!

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No he is Swiss Italian. His father Vinicio Fioranelli , was born in Italy.

[​IMG]

19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your analogy is a bit mixed up. Beane never coached the A's.

I've said a few times that I'd have been happy with a total rebuild had the FO stated up front that's what they were going to do. They didn't do that, and clearly, they didn't clean house in the way one would expect from a team that was truly trying to remake itself.

That said, it's a lot more difficult in MLS to stack the deck in your favor by purposefully tanking the way you can in MLB. The draft just isn't deep enough to load up on talent and there's nothing preventing teams from signing homegrown players as soon as their available to them other than available roster slots (as far as I can tell).

Also, given the nature of the salary cap, you can't really lock in a player for six or seven years without sacrificing a huge amount of flexibility. It's just not something that makes sense for MLS as there are no mechanisms that allow teams to benefit from it.

The homegrown system is where the Quakes should be supplementing their roster significantly, but they are so far behind the rest of the league, that I doubt they ever catch up.

Ultimately, I think Fioranelli greatly underestimated how competitive MLS is, and Stahre seems to really have no clue regarding anything about the league. He has not once looked prepared against an opponent. Frankly, his career in Sweden was not good preparation for work in a league as varied and multicultural as MLS.

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I got it the first time someone corrected me. I know Beane has never been the coach. I said Stahre when I meant Jesse.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #646 JazzyJ, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Don't let the FO fool you into believing that they intended to consider this a rebuild year with expected poor results. They hired a Euro coach, signed a "golden boot winner", a left back, and a young tall South American CB to bolster the back line. They thought we could compete for a championship. We made the playoffs as last seed last year, so if we've made all of these "improvements" we could expect something like 3rd or 4th, at least?

Unfortunately all of those moves have turned out to be disappointing. We did well with young player signings and USL promotions but the "big acquisitions" have been busts for the most part. As I've said I'm willing to give Jesse a mulligan on it but I hope he is learning from it. I still think his head's in the right place. We just screwed up this year.

Now the best thing to do now is to actually turn this year into a real rebuilding year, because the results could not be much worse anyway. That means - #playthekids

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #647 JazzyJ, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    BTW I just remembered that Goitom was from the Swedish 1st division. I guess I'm late to the party on that one, making that association. We should have been wary after that. But different people calling the shots now, and they probably just thought the previous regime just picked the wrong guy.

Interestingly enough Goitom went back to AIK last year and had a bunch of starts and scored 7 goals. So a guy comes to MLS and looks fair at best, scores 0 goals and then goes back to Swedish 1st division, does pretty well, and scores several goals. Wiki even claims he was made captain! The warning signs about going with a "Swedish movement" were certainly there, if anyone was paying attention.

markmcf8, bobby_guzman and mjlee22 repped this.
  23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't see that someone had mentioned it already, sorry. I mute a lot of people.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they lose this game against the Revs, Stahre should be fired tonight!

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't think the team was in a rebuilding phase, really. I was hoping they would do it when Kinnear was fired but they bailed on that plan once the playoffs were a genuine possibility instead of committing.

Once they did that, it was pretty obvious Fioranelli lacked any real plan. Rudderless ships tend to crash and we get the pleasure of watching the team shipwreck itself in spectacular fashion.