The Official Matheus Silva thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 15, 2015.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fly by night degree at an accelerated online basket weaving school. Its the cost of pocket change for Lew & Fisher.... They are probably payiing for it with the revenue they got from the Club -America and Man United matches...

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole system is just unfathomable to me. And we as taxpayers are probably funding it In some way through the school's probable non-profit status or other tax write-offs.

3. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be very revealing if the Quakes did pay someone something for this academy find. That might explain the biz side of these basket-weaving soccer factories.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interestingly, the athletes don't learn all that much more at CAL , Stanford or Santa Clara. A lot of kids that go there to play don't always get degrees.

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true anymore at Stanford. Might be true at Cal tho.

But again, the academy kids I'm talking about are 14-16 and in high school. They can barely read or write.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard same story's at a lot of Bay Area schools....

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx, markmcf8 and falvo repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Again, this is a great idea and what we need but do the Quakes have any plans for starting a USL team? I haven't heard or read anything as of yet.

10. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a kid this young with no pro experience I think they should keep him around the team to let him know what is expected of a pro and to train with better players. Send him to Sacramento next year as their is only 1.5 months left of their season.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not so much with Silva but for most HS and college kids, you would think the NCAA or MLS could get together could pass a rule so these kids could be on a pro teams roster , even for part of the season and still keep their college eligibility. It absolutely makes no sense to stunt these players growth. Jordan Morris of Stanford has 5 senior national team caps, scoring a goal while playing with and against other professional players who earn millions upon millions of dollars a year so why can't Morris for example play , even on an amateur contract while he makes his bones by staying in school? Incredible!

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hope he's taking the opportunity to learn from Goodson and Muma!

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    San Jose Earthquakes' Chris Wondolowski (8) high-fives San Jose Earthquakes' Matheus Silva (38) after their 1-0 win against the Colorado Rapids at Avaya Stadium in San Jose, Calif., on Sunday, March 6, 2016. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group) ( Nhat V. Meyer )

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this is the same soccer academy that the Galaxy's Boateng came from. I really have a problem with these academies that recruit kids from developing countries rather than offering the opportunities to disadvantaged Americans.

Does anyone know the business model for these private soccer mills, I.e. How are they making money on this.

BostonRed repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boateng came through a different program. He was selected through The Right to Dream Academy which placed him with the Cate School in California and then UCSB. He is actually featured in the documentary The Beautiful Game, which showed his life in Ghana and how the program would change his life. (I actually saw the documentary at a film festival with Heather O'Reilly and Lianne Sanderson in the audience).

I have questioned the business model for Montverde myself. They aren't just looking to win games like some private high schools with a couple of foreign "ringers," but to really fill the pipeline with foreign talent, boys and girls. They set up SIMA, which is above and beyond their high school teams. Perhaps they have tapped into a large foundation to do this, but they aren't bringing in students who can afford the tuition and it's a bigger effort than the private basketball diploma mills that seem to rely on shoe money. The money has to come from somewhere and it doesn't look like they are bringing in much US talent (or even players) who can pay full rides.

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #168 JazzyJ, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    It's quite possible they have a large endowment of the "quasi" variety which would specify how the money is used. Strange as it may seem, some people would consider providing opportunities to under-privileged international youth to be a worthy cause. Offhand, I have a hard time finding something wrong with it, as it is a private school.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for looking up the academies. I've also seen that film and reviewed it at
    I am sure that all donations to the program are tax-deductible. Therefore, American taxpayers are really footing the bill and enabling the school owners to profit and/or make a living off of importing and training foreign workers over Americans. I'm a political liberal, but I have a real problem with these schools that become role models for the wrong reasons.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think of providing opportunities to a handful of under-privileged international youth in terms of "importing foreign workers over Americans". And furthermore, for the American kids there at the academy, they are getting exposure to people from other cultures which will enrich their own lives and make them more employable in the global economy, not to mention improve the political good will of our country and how it is viewed abroad. As the pope says, build bridges, not walls :--).

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to admit that Montverde is an odd duck. It's been around a long time, but recently has gotten into the big time in high school sports. It's 65% international and they don't offer scholarships. There is financial aid available. Tuition for boarding students is $49,600 annually. About 600 students are day students and 300 board at the school.

This article is about the basketball team, one of the top in the nation, which has players from Cameroon, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Canada, Nigeria and Burkina Faso. At least 3 alumni are in the NBA.

http://www.orlandomagazine.com/Orlando-Magazine/April-2012/Building-a-Bigger-Giant/

Most of the changes have happened since 1999 when the school's enrollment was declining, more of a school for troubled youth.

According to the article, they are definitely on a spending spree. You always wonder where the money is coming from when it's not obvious.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Don't rule out government grants. Especially if they have a congress critter 'benefactor'. Another drain on taxpayers.

mjlee22 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #173 JazzyJ, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    The president of the academy was talking about alumni contributions and the effect the success of the basketball team had on that. I'm guessing that's where most of the money comes from. Anyone ever been on the Bellarmine campus? It's nicer than most college campuses. Alumni money. I'm sure there are several CEOs and company co-founders, etc. on the alumni role.: Stephen Schott, McEnery, lots of pro athletes, etc. Their tuition is on par with other Catholic schools. So it's not that.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting paragraph in that article:

Though Montverde Academy’s basketball program is registered with the Florida High School Athletic Association, it chooses not to compete in the FHSAA’s state tournament because it doesn’t want to continually answer questions about recruiting players, which member schools are banned from doing. Last decade, the FHSAA fined and sanctioned Montverde’s baseball team for alleged recruiting.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would a private school be tapping into government grants? I can see a research institution finding some of that, but a traditional private high school doesn't seem as likely.

JazzyJ repped this.