The Official Matheus Silva thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Shrewd move, Quakes! Time the announcement of the Silva signing to take the sheen off of the Gal's Gio signing!

markmcf8, Beerking, nihon2000 and 3 others repped this.
  3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was trash last night... send him on loan to sac

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this the guy who played the second half last night in central defense? #49? I thought he wasn't that great, but I didn't know he was 18.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    6'2", 200lb at 18 years old? A Muma in training?

7. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our starting CBs for the Burlingame Dragons look a lot better.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  8. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good signing for the future. Send him to Sacramento for some experience.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope he turns into a great player but if they got him off waivers, how good can he possibly be?

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Muma's and Goodson's age, it looks like Kinnear is planning for the future. This isn't a "now" signing.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  11. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week when Dom was asked a question about the transfer window opening up, he said quakes were working on something, is this move the "something" he was talking about. Please let there be more than this...

12. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt there is anyone else coming . MLS said there was some old guy from Swansea interested in the States....bet we end of with him.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was he on waivers when he's never played for a pro club?

Forget it, Jake, it's MLS.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly waivers from which club?

16. salutations

salutations New Member

May 22, 2011
    You guys are missing the point on this.... Silva is an 18 year old kid who just graduated from high school in May. To me this is impressive. I give credit to DK for believing in youth instead of just a typical 30 year old MLS signing who no one has ever heard of. Silva comes from Monteverde Academy in Orlando where according to people I know close to the situation, there is something serious going on with regard to developing young high level players. Silva was previously on trials with at least two other MLS clubs and 2 clubs in Europe in addition to San Jose in preseason before they signed him so there must be something to him. Apparently he was supposed to go to St. Louis in the fall, but was offered a contract by MLS and took it. The same school in Orlando had another kid in May sign for a club in France or Germany at 18 as well. Being thrown in against one of the best clubs in Mexico in front of a packed house on a side with 10 men, I'd say an 18 year old did quite well and it was a positive sign on this kid for the future. Sources also tell me that he is not a central defender but a defensive MF which makes the case for me even clearer - this was a move for the future and perhaps a very promising talent. The reason he went in the waivers process is because he has never signed a pro contract with any other club...remember he was still trying to graduate from the 12th grade. Therefore, I have been told it was the only way he could get a contract offer according to the operations of the league. I'm happy to see that an MLS team finally went with youth for once - like the rest of the world does.

Go Quakes!

xbhaskarx, DotMPP, sacrxy and 3 others repped this.
  17. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the Quakes Matheus ! Hoping you get of to a great start.....:thumbsup:

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm all for signing younger players but will he help the team in the next six weeks or even next year at 19 years of age? This guy seems like another Tommy Thompson 2-3 year project and we need help now.

QuietType repped this.
  19. salutations

salutations New Member

May 22, 2011
    I have not seen him live, but the from what I've been told about the kid he will adapt very quickly and could play as early as this year and for sure will help next year at 19 years. That is how potentially good he is thought of by many I've spoken to

20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Well I didn't think he looked so great last night, but then I didn't know he was 18 and not a CB, either.

Yes, we need players who can play now. But getting players that can play in 2-3 years are also required. I have no problem with this signing.

xANOTHERxSTARx and leocal repped this.
  21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is fine. But we don't need 18-year olds. We don't need 33-year olds. We need guys in their prime, in their mid-twenties to help this team NOW.

Beerking repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not an "or", it's an "and". The Quakes should be working on two fronts - building the team for the future and building it for now. I have no problem with them signing a promising young 18-year old player. Now maybe they can balance it with something to help the team now.

BTW, TT was never a "2-3 year project". He did well in his first starts for the Quakes last year as an 18-year old, and in fact looked even better in some of the friendlies he played with the Quakes when he was 17. Only reason he went to Sac Republic last year was to get some games coming off of a long injury rehab.

SJTillIDie and xANOTHERxSTARx repped this.
  23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the thing about signing 18 year olds is there can be huge fluctuations between what they project as and how they actually develop. look at FC Dallas they signed tons of 18 year olds out of their academy and almost all of them bombed out aside from kellyn acosta. I'm not gonna write the kid off and I think it's fine we are getting a developmental prospect but he sure didn't look ready to play any mls minutes after last night... I would loan him out to Sac immediately.

sure it was just a friendly... but I recall another friendly in preseason in fresno last year where one of our academy kids who was still in high school scored a goal against the scum... Josh Morton... from what I have seen of him at Cal and Burlingame he is light years beyond this silva kid.

24. xANOTHERxSTARx

Mar 4, 2007
    The kid is only 18, and chances are that he wont even count against the cap.

Yes, we need help NOW.. but if the FO is always thinking only in the 'now', they will always be one step behind.

We could make a list of all the "we need it now" players that were signed since 2008, and trust me, it'll make you want to throw up..

25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said picking him up was fine. My sentiment is that this shouldnt be seen by the FO as a bone thrown to appease the fans. I love young players, but we should have players in the prime fill out our starting 11. That's what still bugs me. It's always on the cheap, always stop gap roster moves.