The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speaking to some local Mexican fans in Spanish who met up with Almeyda, he may stay for another season or two then will go back to Mexico. It all depends on what the Quakes will do next season on and off the field. I think though that he is waiting for them right job offer as he won’t go to a smaller club or a non winner. He probably won’t go back to Chivas but I’m sure he will want to go to a bigger , more established club.

2. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But I'd take that with a grain of salt. We all saw how exaggerated the Mexican media reports were at the end of the season about Almeyda leaving for Monterrey. It honestly was beyond exaggeration up to full on making stories up. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he leaves after 3 years here, but every interview he's had to reassure that he's here for this 4 year project.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I believe someone said that they saw AImeyda's house on Instagram and it was huge and ritzy. I heard he lives in Campbell though and those types of homes are not really available until you get to Los Gatos or Saratoga. I'm thinking he lives in a pretty fancy place and doesn't want to leave.

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So you don't know where he lives or what his house is like, yet you think he's going to stay here as the coach because of his fancy place? Checks out.

TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have no idea where he lives and actually, can care less. When you start living a nice lifestyle though in beautiiful California, why would anyone want to leave? He is probably making over $500k if not more. If that is what Dom was making, I'm sure Almeyda is making at least that.

Currently anyway, he has no reason to leave such a cake job.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Living in the Bay Area of California versus Mexico or Argentina. Who is prepared to make the case that Matias is not better off right where he is?

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2007 falvo, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Of course he is better off in California and he is living like a king. Guillermo Barros Schelotto had just lost Copa Libertadores while coaching storied Boca Juniors against Almeyda's former team River Plate. Three weeks later, he ended up in LA for a reason. He remembered how the American lifestyle was in Columbus and he wanted to recapture it. Almeyda I'm sure is the same way. Longtime FC Dallas GK Darío Sala once said teams in Argentina go weeks on end not paying coaches and players. That won’t happen in MLS.

don gagliardi repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m 2001, when Argentina went broke, many expats and descendants went back to Europe claiming their Euro ancestry. I remember all kinds of players lining up at the Italian , Portuguese , Spanish , German and other embassy’s and consulates as they no longer wanted to play in their homeland.

The year before , superstar Juan Sebastián Verón was under investigation by Italian authorities for a fake passport in order to avoid the non-EU quota. He was later cleared by the federation but I think it was only because they couldn’t really prove if he was at fault or not but there were tons of stories like his. I'm sure Cristian Espinoza also loves it here.

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're well aware that you could care less about this. We can only assume as much since you posted about it. I'm just having a bit of fun, and I understand what you're saying, but what you're really doing here is projecting based on nothing. Because you believe California is a great place to live and that the Quakes coaching job is a decent gig, that Almeyda would have no reason to leave.

I can assume he wants to be here enough to still be here, but I'm not going to try to guess what his motivations are outside of what he's stated publicly. He's said he likes a challenge (which I think we can all agree the Quakes most definitely are), so from a professional standpoint, I just hope he can stay motivated under the circumstances. It's doubtful much changes on the roster front in terms of spending, so if he's going to get the Quakes into the playoffs, he's going to have to figure out how to keep them playing better than he did in 2019.

A very poor start and a very poor finish to the season won't cut it, and I think he has some control over those outcomes. I'm pretty critical of his roster management, especially late in the season. Just one example was playing Godoy in critical games late in the season despite his lack of competitive minutes and the fact that he was for sure, not going to be with the team in 2020. You could also point to not using Hoesen enough, to the point where he just didn't gel with any teammates, or using Vako too much, to the point where he just couldn't physically do what was being asked of him anymore.

He's not going to get the benefit of the doubt in year two, but hopefully with a year of experiencing the rigors of the MLS schedule, he'll have learned how to cope with it better, and better understand how to keep the players near the top of their form without driving them into the ground. If we see the team get off to the same kind of slow start, I'm going to be concerned.

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A few days ago I was talking to one of my long-time friends who is well-connected in the Quakes world and used to work out of their office back in the prior incarnation of the team. He indicated that many in the FO are not big fans of our coach, that his friends consider MA arrogant, and he and his coaches stand around smoking (cigarettes I assume) during practice.

On the credibility index, this may seem only a tiny step above the waiter in the Chinese restaurant, but putting it out there for the sake of gossip. I am a big fan of our coach and it hadn't occurred to me that he might not be universally loved by the organization.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2012 falvo, Nov 8, 2019

No I’m not saying California is a great place to live at all. I’m saying as opposed to other countries and/or other parts of the world, the USA as a rule and this state in general is the greatest place on earth.

I’ve lived in Europe and traveled throughout Mexico , Central and South America and they got nothing on Silicon Valley.

Anyone would be a fool to pass up the Bay Area for Buenos Aires, Rio, Mexico City and many other big cities across the globe. Everything looks rosy as a tourist or on tv but try living there day in and day out , year after year. If you like to go backwards in time , sure those are great places to live but after you have tasted this society, no way you will want to leave willingly.

Just using all the old NASLers as an example, many Europeans and Latin players ended up staying for a reason. Mostly because the opportunity to flourish is here like nowhere in the world.

if it wasn’t for many of them starting soccer camps and establishing a grassroots effort, there very well could have been no MLS.

The reasons for staying are many but just giving you one example , why leave when you have complacency, job security, a great and steady paycheck and self respect? Why did Schelotto leave Boca or for that matter , why did Matías leave Chivas? There is a reason why they came here and I doubt anyone will change their mind anytime soon. Maybe they will be fired or go to a bigger club but that’s a big if.

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    :confused:

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Smoking , is commonplace among players and coaches. It’s been going on forever.

Just saying...

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2015 falvo, Nov 8, 2019
    What part don’t you get? California surely has its faults but comparing it to other parts of the world, this place is a paradise. Just ask the millions of immigrants who came here and never went back to their country.

We all Dems & GOP) complain about our government but in comparison to other nations, these guys are cub scouts fighting brownies..

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not gonna speculate on whether this info is legit or not, but rifts between FOs and coaching staff are not uncommon. The whole 49er thing with Harbuagh is a classic example. I can definitely see Almeyda being arrogant and people not responding well to that. It's not really that important whether or not people in the FO like him or not. What matters is whether or not they think he's going to get the most out of the players he's got to work with.

It's not like anyone in the FO can be proud of the work they've done up to this point, anyway.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I totally get what you're saying. I think you're overselling it, but that's neither here nor there. I suggest you be a bit more careful in what you type as the two sentences of yours that I quoted directly contradict each other.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What matters is if Fisher and the fans like him.

There is also a fine line between live and hate when you win!

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2019 falvo, Nov 8, 2019
    For starters, you are too literal. Secondly, it’s not easy typing and putting together thoughts on an iPhone at Good Sam. Maybe you can try askIng questions before you start judging.

Again, maybe Almeyda will quit or get tired or fired eventually. I’m still more than positive however, he currently has a great setup here for him and his family. Probably since he was a superstar player.

20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if true, look at it this way. @bsman said that Arena is arrogant. I'm sure Bob Bradley is not exactly arrogant but probably not tolerant of mistakes or incompetence. Jose Mourinho is now the definition of arrogant. It seems like the number of nice guy coaches in this world who you want to coach your team is like uh a list of one = Jurgen Klopp. And Klopp says he himself smells, right? So every coach has some issue :laugh::rolleyes:

Doesn't Klopp smoke too?

- - - - edit - - - -
    And Zinedine Zidane will head butt you.
    Klinsmann cuts the highest profile players so that they can't upstage him.
    Siggy was fat.
    Yallop had bad skin.
    gee the list is interminable!

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yallop, Sigi (RIP) , Bradley , Arena and every coach around the world have always had disagreements with their FO's and owners and that is nothing new. Domènec Torrent and Patrick Vieira before him also left NYC for a reason and you can see the tension between their style and the way the club management wanted them to run the club.

Also, coaches standing around smoking cigarettes during practice also has been going on since the game was invented. They use to smoke on the bench during games but that has since been outlawed.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This post was on an Italian Facebook page....I'll do my best to translate it...

upload_2019-11-14_4-23-44.png

SJTillIDie and don gagliardi repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Warshaw: The 5 cool tactical moves of 2019 that teams should copy in 2020

[​IMG]

Full-Field Man-Marking

24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took MLS 73 days to fine Almeyda???

I think Marc Dos Santos said it best, what a "Mickey Mouse league".

don gagliardi repped this.