The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2in10 and davez repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

DotMPP, 2in10, SJTillIDie and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 repped this.
  5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looking forward to seeing the project continue. One thing is for sure -- we will either love love love him or hate him by the end of next season, assuming we all last that long. I kinda wonder what Nick Lima will do though...

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can use some good news. And this is it.

Now we need to spend some money on serious talents to back this up.

OWN(yewu)ED, 2in10, davez and 2 others repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is good.......very good. We needed him to stick around desperately. Hope we do well enough next year to get that to happen.

9. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is interviews like this which illustrate how inspirational this guy is to his players and fans. A class act.

Beckham7 repped this.
  10. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1960 staudio, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    From Robert Jonas article at Pro Soccer

Almeyda said. “There are staff, directors, the owner who’ve given me all that they can. And I am only left to say that I am grateful to be in this place, hopeful that this place will keep growing, that we can grow in terms of our standing every day. And that’s why changing clubs does not even cross my mind.”

really, an owner who gave him all he could?

“We know there’s a difference between San Jose and the other clubs that have invested the most, but we don’t want our owner to invest millions
    . Our idea is to add more youngsters, as well as have some reinforcements come in, but not those stars that are unreachable. We believe in our game and our system of play, as well as our teamwork.”

I, for one, wouldn’t mind if our owner invested millions.

Quakes05, Beckham7, mjlee22 and 4 others repped this.
  11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda’s statement about not buying stars is a mite troubling. I don’t think there’s a pundit in MLS who believes the Quakes can succeed without some DP-quality players.

LAFC ATL RBNY excel at finding good and/or DP players young enough to sell at a very marked up price. Bruno Costa OTOH scouts for players who are Low-cost long shots at improving on the field or fitting into Quakes life. I just read about the Cuban player he got and put over in Reno. Seems like a really dumb idea.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe he is trying to manage expectations. Really, would any of us be disappointed to see a Vela pop up on the team (understanding that most big name players have not had that big an impact)?

13. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    IMO signing some quality DP players is a statement to the league that we want to win some trophies. It is also a carrot to other character players and academy guys to entice them to sign and compete in San Jose.

Just think of what 2019 could have been had we signed a player capable of putting in 15 goals or double digits assists to go with our current offense.

I doubt follow our academy that closely but we had almost no contribution from them on the senior team in 2019, hopefully there is some quality there to improve us in 2020.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paradela hasn't shown much more than pace, energy and aggression so far for us in Reno. He may get time tonight against the USMNT.

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Matias Almeyda warns that MLS referees favoring top clubs will drive away passionate coaches

. . . Perhaps Almeyda is misunderstood. Or perhaps his temperament is ill-suited for MLS. Almeyda feels disappointed in his realization that MLS is no different than other leagues around the world, where referees are often accused of helping the bigger clubs . . .

https://theathletic.com/1280836/201...top-clubs-will-drive-away-passionate-coaches/

SJTillIDie and 2in10 repped this.
  19. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    U.S. players lack 'passion and love' - Earthquakes coach Matias Almeyda
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-...ion-and-love-earthquakes-coach-matias-almeyda

I am not going to quote snippets from the article this time because you need to read it so it doesn't become just a sensational headline without the context. He also mentioned the "what if" in the earlier career of our veterans Wondo and Salinas and his view of Yueil playing in Europe.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we can get a lot of money and some good players, I'd say maybe 4 or 5 for Almeyda, I'd be down with letting him go....

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I read the piece. The headline is click bait. He is speaking in general terms and his reference point for soccer passion is life or death.

It is odd since he has the most passionate American player on his own team setting the tone everyday.

Totally agree with his comment regarding proper training abroad. Salinas really could have been stellar with proper training...he had full blown international level speed and great disciplined will power...I'm sure when he was young he got by with his speed and never had to learn the cues and nuances of reading the game. If someone of Almeyda's quality could have coached Salinas at an early age, he could have nats material.

But his point is nobody gets chased down the streets when a player or the home side stinks it up. There is no public outcry or shame.

I don't really buy what he is selling. At the top levels in American soccer is someone chasing you down the street going to make you play better when you step on the field....I mean, hey, if it didn't happen after Couva, it will never happen...haha

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  22. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    In general, sports in the US is viewed as entertainment.

bsman repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Which is what it is. I owe zero allegiance to John Fisher or any of the other plutocrats who comprise the MLS ownership...

24. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think USSF should hire Matias to coach the USMNT. If he can take a steaming pile of dung like the 2018 Quakes and bring them to the brink of the playoffs, he sure can't be any worse than Berhalter...