The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    If that's true it's really freaky

Matias has said a couple times at the start of the season that not only would Wondo break the record but he will score around 20 this year. He's not on track to do that but MA said it so it must be true.

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Almeyda seems to understand the psychological side of sports. He knows how to inspire, he knows how to show patience, he feels when to be brave, he knows how to challenge his players. I completely understand now why he has a personal following from the fans of his previous teams.

4. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Right on! I switched on the replay today, and just watching the little things... passes hitting teammates in stride, confident touches into space, purposeful dribbles, all from guys who were so aimless and uninspired last year. Last year, after we start strong, but then get a goal against, the flood gates would open and heads would go down. Not the case this year.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All I ask for is four more, which would extend his streak of double-digit scoring m MLS to ten years, a record that might stand for a while.

markmcf8, MtnGardener and NedZ repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I want 200.

markmcf8 and tenfourteen repped this.
  7. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    OMG... Don, can I take you to Vegas with me?

don gagliardi repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno, please. Reno. Vegas is ... yuck.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I really likes how he puts every player in a position to help the team. Unlike Kinnear who would ride the starting 11 until they toppled, Almeyda says 'Hey Vako, I need you to get in there and score the insurance goal for us." This, AFTER Vako has lost his starting spot! The message to the player goes from "you suck, go sit on the bench" to "you're not starting but you are still an important part of this team and we need you in key moments this season."

It's just a world of difference in mentality, and you can see how well the players respond. Of course, Vako didn't score that insurance goal, and frankly didn't look that great. But other players have responded very well to that. I just picked out Vako because I think almost every other coach I've seen wouldn't give him more chances in key moments to say - hey, we need you to contribute and I believe that you can!

10. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How it’s said, is as important as, what is said. The right coach will say it in a way that builds, not breaks down. I think Pelado has that gift, he knows what to say, when to say it, and most importantly, how to say it. Even if it’s through an interpreter. He has the brain to make it work. Recent results are an example.

MtnGardener and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  11. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... will Almeyda value the open cup more than our previous coaches?

I believe he will value CCL more than previous coaches and Open Cup is still the easiest way to get into that... so I sure hope so.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Almeyda seems to be facing many difficult decisions now that the suspensions are over with.

With the return of Cristian Espinoza, Tommy Thompson and Magnus Eriksson who will be benched?

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  13. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I think Marie wasn't a huge drop off from TT in the first half. However Marie couldn't finish the game. TT can go a whole game now so I think it's worth it to stick with him. It would be good to develop Marie to the point he can also play a full game if possible.
    Espinoza plays the wing better than anyone else so he has to start.
    Vako for Magnus is less clear to me. I think I like Vako in that spot, but summer transfer considerations might complicate things.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1439 falvo, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    It’s always difficult for most MLS teams and coaches to keep their DP’s on the bench. Vako played well against DC but he doesn’t seem to be in Almeyda’s long or even short term plans. With the summer transfer window on the horizon , Vako could very well be going back to Europe.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  15. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TT and Espinoza should regain their starting spots. Not that Marie and Hoesen did bad at all, but TT and Espinoza both add a little more to those positions. It'd be interesting to see Hoesen take Salinas' spot, and have all of Wondo, Hoesen, Vako, and Espinoza on the field at the same time.
    I would like to see Vako get another start. He adds another dimension to our attack, a threat up the middle. If he regains his starting spot, then I wonder if he'd get transferred out or not as the speculation on this forum suggests?

16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It's really interesting that Magnus starts in place of Vako. Magnus has 2g and 3a which doesn't seem all that great. Vako's got 1g 1a in less than half Magnus's minutes and playing in different positions.
    I think Vako presents more of a problem for opposing defenders. I remember Vako was always getting double or triple teamed - they just can't afford to let him dribble the ball around the box and 1 defender isn't going to stop him. I don't think Magnus ever draws 3 defenders - one is enough.

The only thing I can imagine is that Vako just isn't fitting in with the team or MA's system as much as Magnus has. If that's the case I don't think Vako can win back his spot and he should probably go at the earliest.

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reportedly Magnus has a concussion, so I think Vako is going to get some playing time now.

18. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If true, that's terrible to hear. Hope he recovers well. But yeah, that could mean Vako has a real opportunity to show if and where he might fit on this team (assuming he wants to stay, of course).

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Magnus was much maligned by all of us well up to this season but he has held his own so far this season. Vako may be the all around better plyer but I think Almeyda likes the way Magnus plays.

MtnGardener repped this.
  20. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought early on that Vako didn't look like he was fitting in with the team/system. And when he was benched for Magnus and we started winning, it only seemed to confirm that thought. But earlier in the season Vako was played at left wing, yesterday he played CAM where he's always seemed to do better. Also he seemed to do more dirty work yesterday than he did before. I'm just wondering if maybe he shows a sustained effort on defense to couple his skills on offense if he'll win his spot back.

If he can't then I agree that he should go since it doesn't make sense to have a player with that salary on the bench when he can play for a different team and we can get someone who contributes more.

21. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I am fairly sure that Vako's time as a sub was to score or get an assist and in fact he might of even been told to avoid defense to go after the score. He did well in his start on Saturday playing offense and defense.

The main issue is that Wondo does not seem to do well with his back to the net so getting him balls through the middle are not useful. On the other hand Danny likes to play with his back to the net so balls through the middle are great.

I would rather have Vako up the middle as he does get double and triple teamed which means more open space for others. If teams don't respect him then he will take a quality shot.

With all that said both Vako and Guram are called up for Georgia games on 6/7 and 6/10 so they will miss the 6/8 FC Dallas game.

mjlee22 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Former NASL coach Don Popovic once told me, "I thrive off of trying to figure out who to start because it creates a lot of competition among players. This carries out on game day".

I’m sure Almeyda is not under pressure in trying to decide on a starting lineup. The players on the other hand must be waiting and wondering what’s going on. This though has got to be great for training. Let’s just hope no one gets hurt.

23. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If we look at our more successful starting lineup this year so far, you will see that Vega and Espinoza are the only two new faces. While they are certainly upgrades, it is interesting that the other 9 starting players are from the horrible 2018 season. And these players now play better individually and as a team. It was difficult to watch when they could not do anything right from controlling the ball, passing and movement, booting the ball to throw-ins (sorry I have to mention this again).

Almeyda not only implemented a system and put the players at positions they can maximize their capabilities, he also instilled a mentality and belief and trust within the team.

Some of us including myself used to complain about the level of our players, thinking they may not be good enough. Now with 9 out 11 starting players from previous season, while no super stars or elite players, maybe they are not as bad as we once thought?

24. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the key is the collective system. If the players are well versed In the system, they are almost interchangeable...we shouldn't see a big swing in performance when 2-3 players are changed out. It is getting everybody to buy in. Almeyda has done an excellent job of rewarding players that commit to the system with playing time.

Vako is starting to come around...he tracked back harder on his marks against DC...the awareness was still a little slow, but at least he knows what he should be doing ...and what will earn him more minutes if he's successful.

Godoy is another case of a player who was totally spun out and disengaged...completely changing his performance under Almeyda. I thought he had one of his best games as a Quake against DC.

RE: Mag v Vako....I think Almeyda likes Mag's work rate and spirit...he tries very hard. He's in a bit of a protected position...he can pick out a good pass and can shoot...and he'll work really hard tracking back on his mark. If we can somehow get Vako to Mag's level in that regard, we'll really have something.

For Almeyda's system to work defensively, everybody has to put in the work marking...even 1 player dogging it or slow to cover will cause bad situations.

25. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I agree with most of your post but, since this is the internet, that doesn't matter and we will focus on the disagreement ;-) I don't think that the creative aspects of the game will ever be interchangeable. Even two world-class players will have different strengths. I think that Espinoza is a great example of someone that is not at all interchangeable with anyone on our roster. Flo is another. If they are in, you play one way. If they are out, you play another. Same coach, same "system", but you have to be aware of the players you have and make adjustments.

Sactown Soccer and don gagliardi repped this.