The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The last few years , Vega played for Miami FC, Miami FC 2 on loan) and for the Tampa Bay Rowdies. I doubt he cost that much.

2. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'll nitpick a bit here. It's the tangible fruit of hiring Starhre in the first place. Which made #StarheOut a certain eventuality.

I definitely agree that a coaching merry-go-round in MLS makes it impossible to work yourself out of a roster hole the size of which the Quakes are saddled with. Particularly when you select coaches from outside MLS who have pre-conceived notions of the quality of the league and invariably underestimate the kind of players needed for success here. (Especially when the GM has yet to figure it out).

So in that respect firing Starhe, who was never going to lead the Quakes to glory, and hiring Almeyda who has clearly demonstrated his capability to come into a losing situation and bring up the team to success was the smart move. Have to give JF credit for this. Unfortunately for us it means that best case it takes a year to make a big enough dent in the roster to start seeing success.

We fans and the Quakes have no realistic choice here but to suffer in the short term until the ship starts turning.

It sucks because there is no guarantee that come March 2019 we aren't in the same exact spot for the 4th year in a row. But one way to ensure that is to fire Almeyda and hire some other smuck to try to make lemonade with this roster and the few tweaks he'd bring with him.

hc897 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't disagree (except I believe you meant to say March 2020 in the last paragraph). Stahre's hire was as much a part of a needless coaching churn as his dismissal. Leitch was doing fine and he was ostensibly not an interim coach (though no one ever believed that). In retrospect, Leitch should have stayed on, he'd probably still be the coach, and the Quakes probably would be a contender right now with a roster utterly unlike the current one.

Beerking, markmcf8, bobby_guzman and 2 others repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”
    -- Philadelphia Eagles football coach Joe Kuharich, 1967

SeaJayBee repped this.
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Wait, it's 2019 NOW, lol? WTF, the millennium turned just yesterday. Yes, I meant 2020.

Agree with Stahre's hire being completely unnecessary. If he had Almeyda lined up at the time...maybe a good decision. But I'm quite confident that Chris wouldn't have brought in the dreck we were stuck with from Stahre's tenure and would have found MLS caliber players and a given us a team that at least matched Kinnear's point totals.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    nihon2000 repped this.
  7. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe the plan this whole time has been to integrate the youth, which is why we didn't buy a whole bunch of players this season?

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe there is no "plan" that explains everything (like, re-signing certain players, or Wondo being a lock starter at 36, or one of the few signings being a 34 year old journeyman from the American second division), and certainly not any "plan" that is fully explained by one quote after a friendly?

If I was Almeyda, and I saw the gulf between our roster and other teams, I'd say "please give me at least a year and a half before you judge me based on results" too...

9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    "Our objective in a year to a year-and-a-half is to have many young players, and they should know what they play, how to play it, and why they play it."

Left unsaid "because the players I have today certainly do not".

Sactown Soccer and bobby_guzman repped this.
  10. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some folks, like due_time, keep saying that we need to give Almeyda more time. But it's not us that should be patient, it's Almeyda who may not be as patient as we are.

We have an owner who will not spend, and Almeyda has already alluded to this--he realized this as well. Now we don't know if he already knows that going in, or is he just finding out about it now...

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  11. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you are going to post a quote post the question and the whole response so it can be seen in the context it was given.

On how the younger players performed:

"It's nice to see the younger players. My career started as a youth with a club called River Plate. I had the possibility to debut at 18 years of age. I got tired of seeing how youngers players were burnt out. I think there are moments, but we need to be careful of when we can put them in and let them go when they are ready. The moment San Jose is facing is difficult because they only won four games last year, and the youth should not carry the weight of changing the club. We need to go step-by-step with the younger players and develop them into ambitious players that really know the system of play, and know the lifestyle of a soccer player, and from that point don't burn them out. Our objective in a year to a year-and-a-half is to have many young players, and they should know what they play, how to play it, and why they play it."

nihon2000 and Venceremos repped this.
  12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    SQF, that would be the way to do it if one were posting only a snippet leaving the reader with no way to determine the context. However, I posted the link so the reader could see the entire ALMEYDA question/response section for himself. The quoted words I posted were there to draw attention to the fact that Almeyda referred to a 12-18 month period in TWO separate places.

In fact, your posting is incomplete and only gives one of Almeyda's two references. So here is the entire context (with the two separate references in italics and bold) which is found at the link I gave:

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH MATIAS ALMEYDA

On goal-scorer Cade Cowell's debut performance:

"He's a 15-year-old player. He's very young. I gave him and Gilbert [Fuentes] some time today, and it's only their first steps in a senior team at the professional level. We need to go step-by-step with them. They have the best example in front of them, a historic goal-scorer in Chris [Wondolowski]. In a year to a year-and-a-half, this team will be totally different."

On how the younger players performed:

"It's nice to see the younger players. My career started as a youth with a club called River Plate. I had the possibility to debut at 18 years of age. I got tired of seeing how youngers players were burnt out. I think there are moments, but we need to be careful of when we can put them in and let them go when they are ready. The moment San Jose is facing is difficult because they only won four games last year, and the youth should not carry the weight of changing the club. We need to go step-by-step with the younger players and develop them into ambitious players that really know the system of play, and know the lifestyle of a soccer player, and from that point don't burn them out. Our objective in a year to a year-and-a-half is to have many young players, and they should know what they play, how to play it, and why they play it."

:sneaky::geek:

Honore de Ballsac and bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's always dangerous to accuse NedZ of being too concise. :)

ColinMcCarthy, bobby_guzman and NedZ repped this.
  14. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Muriel Humphrey to her long-winded husband Hubert Humphrey:
    "Hubert, a speech doesn't have to be eternal to be immortal."

A quality I'm often told I share with Hubert... :sleep:

bobby_guzman repped this.
  15. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an interesting article in The Athletic where they interviewed Adrian Heath. Now I don’t hold Heath in any high regard, but he made this comment.

Heath said after training on Tuesday. “It’s an old saying, I know, but managers pick players and players drop themselves. You don’t drop players who play well—never been the case. If anybody finds themselves not in the team, they can come and knock on my door for sure. They won’t get much of a response though, because at the end of the day they have an opportunity to keep their shirt and play. I thought one or two left themselves in jeopardy of losing their spot (next) weekend.”
    I guess this is old style English management, because it seems to me the Quakes have never really managed players this way, where one game could cause you to lose your starting spot. At the same time, I wonder if Almeyda did this, would it make the players play a little more inspired? Over the last 2 years, I’ve certainly thought that a lot of players on the field (e.g. Godoy) play like their spots are not in any jeopardy, like it would take a lot for them to become non-starters.

16. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize, HH has not been relevant since about 1968?

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He is still precisely relevant to the point Ned aptly made. :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bobby_guzman repped this.
  19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The analysis here by our clever fans is way better than the dreck we see on the MLS site or most of the blogs and sports journal sites. I doubt that any of us would have been stupid enough to hire Stahre.

Most of us would have hired a coach with MLS experience, though we might have tried to get either Marc Dos Santos or Gio Savarese. But we would almost all have hired a US coach. (That is, a coach who was currently working in the US, regardless of actual nationality.)

Most of us would not have been stupid enough to hire Vako, Kashia, Eriksson, or Qwiberg. Many of us would have tried to snag MLS veterans and a few overseas players (I'd have gone for Central or South Americans and Eastern Europeans, your mileage may vary). And we would all have looked for better players than these four. We would all have snagged a GK in the re-entry draft this year. Most of us would play TT in an offensive position. We'd all start Hoesen and sub Wondo. We would all have signed another striker in the off-season.

Most, if not all of us, would have ditched Affolter, Godoy, and Paul Marie. And we'd have signed a left back, probably in the re-entry draft, or made a trade for a known MLS quantity.

Grab any handful of posters from this forum and we'd be able to do a better job, even on a beer budget, we'd have managed better than the shit we're seeing week in and week out.

So we need to suffer through another full year of this shit?! At least?! Really? Our organization is so stupid we couldn't do as well as Minnisoda in the off-season? Couldn't make as many improvements as the Crapids? Really?! We're that stupid and shitty and cheap?!

Notice that freaking FC Cinncinasty is well ahead of us in the standings. How does that feel?

Only the Whitecraps are as lame as us with no wins in three tries. BUT, their goal differential is only half as lousy as ours.

I should stop using insulting names for the other teams and show them more respect because we suck much harder than any other club in MLS.

And at this point, I would argue for firing Matias. A coaching carousel is a bad idea. I don't see this cluster as entirely his fault, but he's sure not endearing himself to me.

Go Quakesfans!!
    Jesse OUT!! :mad:

- Mark

davez, Boysinblue and Quakes05 repped this.
  20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HH is always relevant, even now. I'm prepared to discuss this with you over beer.

don gagliardi repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the big deal?

[​IMG]

22. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Just my opinion of course, but if a coaching change would make a difference with this group, then we should already be competitive. The problem is far beyond who is conceiving game plans and motivating players. Plus, if the club is going to have a revolving door for the coaches, it will never attract decent managers. The real judgment comes when this coach actually owns everything on the pitch. Just my opinion of course.

MtnGardener and markmcf8 repped this.
  23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #973 NedZ, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Twenty years ago I would tell my wife, "Hey, I'm a real '90s kind of guy!". After she rolled her eyes, I would have to admit that I meant the 1890s... so, that makes Hubert and me two wild and crazy guys!

There - now I've moved my frame of reference forward from 1968 about 10 years or so ! :ninja:

Surely, these posts are at least more entertaining than the first three Quakes games were this season...

(Don't call me Shirley! ...I'll be here all season, folks...)

mjlee22, nihon2000 and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #974 don gagliardi, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Yeah, Joe Kuharich was a terrible coach. Philly fans off the street probably could have done better. But his was a great quote. :)

. . . The team that began the decade as a champion, and was a contender after the championship season, declined drastically under this coach. The fans began to call for his removal, and wondered loudly about this ridiculous contract, which the new ownership seemed intent on honoring no matter how bad the team performed.

Kuharich treated the fans arrogantly even though his team was terrible, and the fans reaction only intensified. The traditional introduction of the team at the stadium (Franklin Field) began with the eleven starters on offence or defense, followed by “…And Coach Kuharich and the rest of the Eagle squad...” Kuharich’s name was booed so loudly in 1967 and 1968 that he had his name removed from that introduction . . .

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/76722-santa-claus-the-whole-story

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also agree with this....

Don't spend your money before you make it....