The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Then why not start other players who would work in the system even if they might not have the MLS quality at this point. We keep hearing that it takes time and such but there has not been any swapping of players to those that can pick up the system faster. These guys practice everyday and should be making progress everyday on a new system, they have now been working on it for over 6 weeks.

Look, if you older or more established then you are not changing your personal system of play since it was never needed to be successful in the past. If your younger and still trying to find your best then you are fungible into a different system. Why are we not mixing the parts to find those that can play in the system and demoting those that are not changing.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree. Find the players within the team that are willing to work with you on how you want to play rather than try to force those that aren't going to change. Ideally you use your youth system to establish style and expectations, and then promote them up so you have a team that plays how you want. Of course, you never can get the ideal, since you have to bring in experienced players, etc.

You make good points. If I were in Almeyda's shoes, I'd be looking to change the lineup considerably at this point after three bad losses. He has to for the friendly, and I'm hopefull he likes some performances in that game enough to sit some players who haven't proved much in the regular season. I'd be inclined to believe that some players may be on board with Almeyda but may not be able to do exactly what he wants just from years of doing things a different way, but his recent comments about trust makes me think he's at the end of his rope with some guys. For the sake of the team as a whole, I hope he's empowered to make changes where he's deemed in necessary.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we wait for the summer transfer window, we will have lost so many games by that point that we will be long, long out of the playoff hunt.

I keep saying that we have to win, right now. Not because I'm an impatient jerk (though that might be true also) but because if we dig too deep a hole, improvements won't matter. Look at Montréal last season. They were great the last 21 games, but still didn't make the playoffs. That's close to two thirds of the season that they were really good, and they still didn't make the playoffs.

I expect us to lose our first eight games this season, and that will terminate our season. Let's say that we win two and lose seven of our first nine, that's still a very nearly hopeless situation.

We need new players right now.

Jesse OUT!!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    We needed new players last year.

The last summer transfer window, as bad as we were, we only brought in Kashia. He’s an ok CB but I knew something is very wrong if this is all they can do or want to do. I thought damn I have to wait til winter before we make all the big moves. Now I can’t believe not a single DP and 3 TAM that I know aren’t going to be enough. It was so incredibly disappointing when Jesse said there would be no more moves in this window.

I know we need new players now but the coach has literally told us new players, if any, are coming in the summer.

I don’t want to get disappointed again so I only expect one additional TAM player in the summer and I don’t think it’ll be enough.

Hoesen’s getting his green card now which gives us 1 international spot and Jonas reported they’re trying to get a second as well. So maybe we’ll get two players this summer.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I bet they are fast tracking Vega’s green card as well.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Fast" being measured in units known as qwibergs. Vamos! :)

Beerking, markmcf8, bsman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    You forgot died. Or promoted. :sneaky:

8. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Quakes out! Keep Almeyda.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Promoted? To what? Head Scout or GM

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Just closing out the holes in your bet for you, Falvo!

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Almeyda's record continues, he won 't last longer than Stahre did. If this were Europe, he would be fired within the next few weeks. Then again, not many Euro clubs would give him a guaranteed 4 year contract....

Beerking repped this.
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe he knows something about baseball?

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is that a grapefruit or a tennis ball?

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like a ball that glows in the dark.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we needed new players last year.

Again, when I spoke to Jesse last April, he (and Stahre) had identified four players that they wanted, but only one of them was available in the summer transfer window. The other three guys they couldn't sign until the winter break. Then of course, Stahre got sacked and they had to change plans. And I'm concerned that they had made plans by or in April that they didn't modify given how much worse the season was by July.

We should have sacked several more players than we did. Specifically, Afolter, Eriksson, Godoy, Jungwirth if we're not going to play him, Kashia, Paul Marie, and I'd have considered ditching Vako. Notice that my choices are all internationals. This would both free up roster spot and international spots, and most of these guys are seriously overpaid.

And yes, we needed to bring on a bunch of new players this past off-season, both because our players weren't (and aren't) good enough, and because the quiest way to change a team's attitude is to bring in a bunch of new guys. I keep saying that losing is habit forming, and it is. I don't see our team coping well with a six or seven game losing streak.

Of the new guys that we brought in, I think that Vega is a waste. We could have scored an MLS veteran in the re-entry draft, saved an international spot, and gotten a player who already knew the league and the teams we play against.

I'm pissed.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer, Beerking and Scott Rohde repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Vega is a player for whom the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming that Matias Almeyda specifically asked for. It's inconceivable he would have been targeted as an acquisition, let alone signed, otherwise. And the lost international slot he represents is therefore one of the prices we're paying for churning coaches so cavalierly -- the tangible fruit of #StahreOut.

The real head-scratcher is why the Quakes are keeping four keepers.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was initially sceptical of the Vega signing, however, I have been impressed with his play so far. His distribution is superior to any keeper we have had, he is not afraid to punch the ball in a crowd, (unlike alligator arms Bingham) and seems to be a decent shot stopper. Someone here questioned whether he could have done more on the shot he parried aside against RB that was then put back across to be tapped in. Imo he did what he was supposed to do there, he parried the shot to the outside away from the goal. His defenders needed to then do their jobs.

19. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vega is experienced & is pretty good with his feet. Need a sweeper keeper if we want to play like a top team.

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I also have to say that last year Tarbell let in soft goals that clearly deflated the team’s confidence. I haven’t seen that from Vega and to my eyes he looks a lot more in charge and confident then Tarbell. The team may be poor but he is an upgrade for sure. Now why Tarbell has not been traded is a big mystery to me.

21. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they saw him play last season, probably no one wants him.....

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant fault the manager anymore. Sir Alex Ferguson couldnt turn this bunch around. Its at the point you have to look squarely at the locker room. Thats where the responsibility lies now.

Beerking repped this.
  23. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you were GM of a MLS team would you trade for him?

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s not that. Not sure how much you can overanalyze it but we have crap players.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm not saying that Vega isn't decent, he is.

What I'm saying is that we could have picked up an MLS veteran keeper in the re-entry draft, save an international slot, which we need, and probably saved on the salary cap hit too, though we don't know how much Vega costs yet, and he might be cheap.

My issue with Vega is use of resources, not that he's bad per se.

Go Quakesfans!!
    We Fans ought to be running the freaking team!!

- Mark

TyffaneeSue repped this.