The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We have a lot of dead weight we could move to open roster spots but we don't bother doing so, why is that?

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They should hold open tryouts with free agents.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They should issue refunds. Every home loss should involve a full game credit to a season ticketholder's account.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Most of our current woes can be placed securely at the feet of our GM, who apparently thought it was Xmas last year and gifted some very undeserving players with multi-year contracts. I have yet to see any clue that would point to Jesse being even minimally competent.

due time, davez, markmcf8 and 4 others repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is he forcing the coach to start Magnus Eriksson game after game?

6. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, but he hasn’t provided any better tools during the offseason. That’s 100 percent on him.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How do you know that? Was he given an unlimited budget?

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Doesn’t matter - he’s had two years and his signings have been :-/

Beerking repped this.
  11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On twitter, I'm trying to push #GuaranteedWin, which was started by Las Vegas Lights (I haven't looked to see how well that's doing). If they don't win, you get a free ticket to the next home game.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jesse seems to have signed the players that the coaches have wanted, within the budget parameters.

Swedish players were signed during the Swedish coach's tenure. Latin players have been signed during the South American coach's tenure.

Matias wants expensive Mexican players. Is he not getting them because Jesse is balking, or because the budget won't allow it?

Your asserted position is that this is 100 percent on Jesse. Maybe, but the objective evidence suggests otherwise.

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a start. But I've prepaid for every home game. And if I'm given an extra ticket, it will go to waste because I'm not sure I can give it away. :)

14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you jest, but clearly that's not true because giving tickets away is the only way the Quakes have been able to claim good attendance figures. :)

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even though most American born players took Spanish in school and understand the language, as do the Latins , I don't think the others like Jungwirth, Eriksson, Kashia, Hosen and Vako do at all.

By the time a translator gets the message across to a player, seconds will have passed and this is just enough time for an opposing team to score a goal. The language barrier could very well cause many problems for both Galindo and Almeyda.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Source?

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What Source do you need?

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Something more reliable than your say so.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #869 falvo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Most kids take Spanish or French in high school to fulfil a foreign language requirement. In this area not to mention most parts of the US, its mostly Spanish. I don't know of many Canadian players who are from French speaking Quebec on the Quakes. Every kid I grew up with took Spanish, especially in this valley or the entire Bay Area.

Almeyda was speaking to Lima in Spanish. He most certainly wasn't speaking German or Italian to him.

Regardless though, if in fact that is the case and they don't speak or understand Spanish, that is a problem. This reinforces my initial point about the language barrier creating difficulties for players during a game.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This assertion is not sourced, either.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "They" being Quakes players?

I wonder how much an impediment not speaking Spanish really is. It's a global pro player market and not everyone on a squad is going to speak the same language as the coach. The game is not that complicated. Plus, how difficult can it be to point to your man-mark to indicate that one is yours?

Similarly, I don't speak Spanish, but I have no difficulty watching a game on Univision. And I never reach for the supposed SAP function on my remote. That would require technical proficiency that I lack. :)

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #872 falvo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    You are a fan not a player. Many coaches scream out tactics and directions to players during a game. If Almeyda can't speak English or doesn't know how to transmit what he wants to his players or if they don't understand him, that can be a huge problem.

It takes a few seconds to get scored upon and if he is giving directions to his translator who then in turn, has to scream it out to his players, seconds have passed and hypothetically , a goal will or could have been scored. I don't see how it wouldn't be an issue.

leocal11 repped this.
  23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would really love to know why you think this would make any difference. If you are restricting this to just MLS free agents, they've already all been signed or aren't currently playing at all, so there's likely no one to be signed who would be worth signing.

If you are talking about any and all available players as "free agents", then you're talking about a list of players so big you'd choke yourself on it before you got past the first page.

And if the Quakes didn't already know all of the players who would be available from within the league last year, how would an open tryout with those players be helpful? They'd likely misjudge what little talent there would be, anyway.

Plus, since the team has already begun the season, how exactly would they hold an open tryout in the first place? Is Almeyda going to sacrifice preparing the players that are actually on the roster to watch people walk in off the street? Are there any potential legal problems, since the season has already begun?

I have to assume you aren't being completely serious when you suggest tryouts, but you've mentioned it before, so I'm really not sure. Whether you jest or not, ultimately, if the team is holding open tryouts of players who are no longer holding contracts with the league, that means those players have never played in an MLS game, or they haven't bothered to look at all of the data and film that's available to them with those players.

We already know that Fioranelli and his group have done an extremely poor job in player evaluation and acquisition. They've watched years worth of Quakes games now and have learned nothing. They aren't learning anything from an open tryout, either.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was mostly kidding about open tryouts. I do recall Doyle holding some tryouts up at his Mustang Field a few years back but no one was ever signed.

don gagliardi repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes