The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Very thin ice Baldy. I wonder how long he's going to stay in San Jose.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #827 falvo, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Other than being intrigued of wanting to live , work and get an American visa/green card, I don’t see why Almeyda would want this job either.

He may have a 4 year contract and is being paid well but I don’t see him lasting four months!

I have a feeling he will be gone by this summer.

3. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Candidly not yet impressed by Almeyda. We are 0-3 and I don't see any tactical or enough lineup changes to indicate to me that he has any plan other than Plan A, which is clearly not working yet, and may never work with this roster.

I don't know who first said it and I believe that if you keep doing the same things over and over again and expect different results you are a fool.

So are, only three games in, that is what Almeyda is doing, same lineup, same 18, same subs, same tactics. And we are currently 0-3 having scored 2 goals and given up 9. This is not trending well.

xbhaskarx, mjlee22 and Beerking repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is trying to create cohesion with the same group of players. Sadly, we just don’t have an MLS caliber team.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Yes, I know he's trying to create cohesion, and the 11 he is putting out there are horrible together.

If you put lipstick on a ugly chimpanzee, it's still a chimpanzee.

falvo repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    An ugly one indeed!

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    And the thing is this: He must have seen the videos of 2018, he couldn't have come into this situation with blinders on. He must of known what he was getting himself into when he took the job so why isn't he getting the results? Can he blame it all on the players? No, his tactics and approach to the games must bare much of the blame as well.

Honore de Ballsac and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Almeyda will be fired , quit on his own, or will take another job somewhere else. Then Wondo will be made player coach....

Just a hunch but circumstances seem to be leading that the way.....

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And no timetable? Such a bold prediction. :)

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I should have posted, I hope I’m wrong but that’s the road they seem to be headed...

I’d say between June to November.

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    From post game interview Almeyda says he will do a deep analysis on what he needs for the summer transfer window. Until then he just has to give the current players confidence.
    My guess is if Almeyda doesn’t get what he wants in the summer he’ll be gone next year.

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ONCE AGAIN, a reminder that the primary transfer window is currently still open, and will remain open for almost two more months:

MLS 2019 Primary Transfer Window now open; runs until May 7

markmcf8 and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  14. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    So what’s your point? Almeyda’s indicating new players would come in the summer - specifically not now.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2019 season is in the process of ending over the next 6 games. It will be over by the time the summer transfer window opens. If the Quakes don't make moves in the primary transfer window over the next two months, they have given up on the 2019 season after three games.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    That i agree, but I do think there is some hope - e.g. sounders and dc united from last year. but then again we aren't the sounders and we aren't going to sign Rooney.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To illustrate my point about their still being time to improve the team now and potentially save the 2019 season from being over after a month and a half, note this is from THREE DAYS AGO:

Chicago Fire complete transfer for Argentinean playmaker Nicolas Gaitan

Are we planning to sign the next Lodeiro or Ruidiaz over the summer? Because if that's the case I will wait patiently.

DC United also opened a new stadium, that means when they were in last place, they had played like all but 2-3 games away, and then after they signed Rooney they played all but 2-3 games at their new stadium (which also meant that Rooney didn't have to deal with fatigue from travel).

David Scott and markmcf8 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    DCU though was in last place when Rooney signed but he is a worldwide superstar. I don't think the Quakes are going to get or sign anyone like him or with a big name that he has.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    By the time we get new player, if any, our season could well be over. The fact that our front office can't visualize this is maddening. :mad:

markmcf8 and falvo repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. The season will be tanked and half over by May-June. If new players come in, they won't get their feet wet until at least July. That's 4 months and/or 14 or 15 games away!

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His point is that waiting until the summer transfer window is both unnecessary and bullshit.
    • We could sign some new guys Right Now!!
    • We could jettison some of our players Right Now!! (Season long loans to Reno!)
    • We could make an effort to fix our team Right Now!!
    But instead we're going to wait until the summer transfer window, when we are hopelessly out of the playoff hunt, the stands are empty, and we're already the laughing stock of the league.

It's BULLSHIT!

That's Xman's point.

Edit: Ah, several more replies speak to this, but I didn't see them until I finished.

Go Quakes!!
    We don't give two squats that we're crap!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’ve been complaining for years about the poor roster construction of the Quakes but even I understand why the Quakes can’t bring players in NOW.

1. If the Quakes are bringing in a foreign player, they need an international slot. Maybe Danny gets a green card soon, but the Quakes have used all international slots available right now.

2. Typical professional contracts run to the end of seasons which for most leagues end during the summer transfer window. Unless you want to add the cost of a transfer fee, you sign a player when they are out of contract.

3. Signing a player midway through the season means their salary counts less against the salary cap because its prorated for how many games they will play. In past seasons this was the only way to add expensive players without going over the cap limits.

4. You can’t just add players if you don’t have roster spots available. There is currently one roster spot, but by summer there may be more available. It’s not unusual to have to put players on the season long injury list (see Cummings and Partida recently for examples) plus it’s much easier to trade players out over the summer because other leagues are shuffling their rosters for the coming season. Many of the players the Quakes might want off the roster probably are not good trade bait in MLS. They might need to place players in lower foreign divisions just to clear roster spots. They can not eat any more contracts this year.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  23. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess another thing on the new players is, if management really is all-in on Matias and his new system then it doesn't seem like it's just a matter of bringing in the best talent available and giving it to the coach to use but they'll have to put more time and effort into identifying the right type of talent for his system that's actually available to fill the roster spots at the time. So, yes, the comments above about the difficulties of roster construction seem a little worse in this scenario.

Can only hope that Matias and management are really committed to this, as it does seem like his system could finally give the Quakes an on-field identity to work around and potentially succeed with, but it looks like something that could take multiple seasons to build up and then support with talent from Reno and the academy, etc.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/alm...rthquakes-continue/1twilau27v8nv1uhhv1u4bnal5

"One thing Almeyda wouldn't concede is the team's need for more reinforcements. The Earthquakes added some key pieces in the winter, including Cristian Espinoza, Marcos Lopez and Daniel Vega, but revamping the worst team in the league is going to take more than one transfer window.

"For now we're good," Almeyda said when asked if more roster changes were on the way. "I'm doing a real deep analysis of the team in the middle of the season. For the moment we'll try to give these players confidence." "

"for now we're good" :ROFLMAO: as if losing every single game give these players "confidence" and lifts the hopes of Bay Area soccer fans. :rolleyes:

Boysinblue, xbhaskarx and Beerking repped this.
  25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, everything you say is true. On the other hand, the house is on fire.

There's a team in Sweden who want Eriksson. We should trade him. We probably won't get a transfer fee, but we'll get his salary off our books, and we'll free up an international slot and roster spot.

We can probably dump a couple of other players to foreign leagues, though we won't get much for them. (I'm thinking of Afolter here.)

But if we wait until the summer transfer window, we will have killed the season again, and the fans are not going to miss that fact.

We should have made bold moves in the pre-season, but we stupidly didn't. Now we have to bite the bullet and do something, or the season is lost.

Go Quakes!!
    We so stupid it hurts!!

- Mark