The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was a great player for a time. During that time though or rather from 1996-2004, I don't know too many defensive mids in the world who were better. Frank Rijkaard and Dunga had already retired when Matias was shining. Then you had Edgar Davids, Patrick Vieira and Pep Guardiola but you had to include Almeyda among that crowd. Had he continued his strong play into his mid 30's, he would have been considered among the best. Trouble was his style wouldn't allow him to continue as he was rough but with skill and finesse. He would foul but was never that reckless...

2. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup and apparently the owners of LigaMX clubs get to decide the manager of Mexico and Chivas Brass treated Almeyda like crap.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So many people pass on the Argentina. My guess is he probably doesn't want it....

Look at all the mangers they've had...They change once every .7 years...
    upload_2018-10-8_11-11-16.png

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  4. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Wow, legit. Does this mean I have to reexamine my deep seeded cynicism regarding Quakes ownership/management?

Let me think........nah better hold off on that.

DasMoots, Quakes05 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a four year deal, so the amount is almost certainly significant by MLS standards. I'm a bit surprised by the length of the contract, but maybe they could get the amount down a bit by giving him a get out of jail free card. In any case, it's a serious investment. I really would love to know how this came about because it could paint two very different pictures.

For now, I take it to mean that Fisher and Fox are willing to believe in Fioranelli's vision, or at the very least, are willing to give him what he wants in the hopes that he can prove himself without providing him an excuse for his potential failure to turn the team around.

We won't know about player signings until this season concludes, most likely, but I would not be surprised by a good bump in roster spending. I also except another mad grab for allocation money, and a whole lot of players up on the copping block.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Two thoughts. Why'd he leave Chivas?

and which players on the current roster fit this bill, taken from the article:

"Under Almeyda, that Chivas style is to attack in numbers, mark the opposition man-to-man all over the field and play aggressive soccer. No player is allowed to shirk responsibility when it comes to grafting."

markmcf8 and tenfourteen repped this.
  12. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watching now.
    unfortunately he does not seem to speak english, but lets hope his 'staff' can get his desires through....this to me will be the biggest challenge.
    jesse still there unfortunately.

he is saying the right things though. the translator is not doing that great a job.

the could have picked a better, quieter spot to hold this conference....like indoors!

bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I love the refreshing optimism on this thread, but unless there's significant investment in the squad we're still doing nothing, regardless of the coach's abilities. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I really hope Matias did his homework on the playing staff and got assurances before signing on the dotted line.

DotMPP, Quakes05, bobby_guzman and 2 others repped this.
  14. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    baca may be a mexican citizen but I consider him a domestic since he's a product of the american system, went to high school in LA, went through NCAA soccer at LMU, and then signed with us. at galaxy away games he would have a large contingent of family members from the socal area show up to support him.

DotMPP repped this.
  16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #66 Beckham7, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #67 xbhaskarx, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Armchair Analyst: Hiring Matias Almeyda, Quakes shake up the MLS order

The names tossed about when the San Jose Earthquakes head coaching job came open last month, and in the weeks since, all made a certain sort of sense. Marc Dos Santos is regarded as probably one of the two or three best assistants in MLS, and his success as a manager in the lower divisions in the US and Canada makes him a pretty snug fit for any job opening here. Caleb Porter is an out-of-work, MLS Cup-winning manager who's been agitating to get his foot back in the door somewhere in the league. Jeremy Gunn is right down the street (Palo Alto is basically next door to San Jose), and is the most successful college coach since Bruce Arena.

All of those would have been relatively safe and eminently sensible hires, and I suspect two of them will be managing in the league come 2019.

None of them would've moved the needle like the hiring of Matias Almeyda has. I'm still in at least a little bit of shock, so let's just use bullet points:

• In Almeyda's first coaching job, he guided River Plate – yes, that River Plate – to promotion back to Argentina's top flight.
    • In his second job he took over Banfield ... and guided them to promotion as well.
    • In his third job he took over Chivas, guided them out of the Liga MX relegation zone and led them to their first title of any kind in nine years (the 2015 Copa MX).
    • Two years later, he led Chivas to their first league title in 11 years, and claimed the league/Cup double for good measure.
    • His last act as Chivas manager was leading the Goats to this past year's Concacaf Champions League title, the club's first international trophy in 56 years.
    I still say he got outcoached in both the semifinals and finals of the CCL, but his team finished their chances while RBNY and TFC didn't. He was the guy holding the trophy at the end. That's what matters most.

His work with Chivas – rescuing them from relegation, then claiming four titles in four years (with some truly bad seasons sprinkled in, but still) – put him on the radar for the El Tri head coaching job:

Looks like we can cross Almeyda's name off the list of potential Mexico managers now as well. A coup for the Earthquakes and MLS. #eltrieng https://t.co/boycggHCrz
    — Tom Marshall (@mexicoworldcup) October 8, 2018

Almeyda is a big name, with a big profile. This is not a Tata Martino-level hire, but it's in the same neighborhood. Just bringing that knowledge and experience -- and his network -- to bear on roster decisions can only bolster the club's talent ID and recruitment.

And that's his wheelhouse: Almeyda has spent most of this decade taking bad teams and making them good. Beyond anything else, that's the most useful bullet point when taking over a team that's struggled as much as the 2018 Quakes.

DasMoots, Sarkar, Sactown Soccer and 4 others repped this.
  18. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've preferred Marc Dos Santos but this looks like a decent pick I'm excited to see what he can do here and hope he's given the reins in regards to player recruitment

19. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow!
    https://en.onefootball.com/matias-almeyda-stepping-down-as-chivas-manager/

20. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    This is Jesse's fourth or fifth coach in two seasons... and they're stylistically all over the map. Who could believe there's a valid Jesse Fioranelli vision being expressed and underwritten here?

What I do think Quakes ownership is willing to do is try something splashy - rather than invest in sufficient fronts to compete.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Best part is he’s bringing his staff over from Chivas

DasMoots, 2in10, nihon2000 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyka and Erickson are dead weights, yes. Vako is fine. We've been running on a full month without ridiculous anti-Vako hates, let's keep it that way.

Sarkar and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or .. Jesse realized that we need a head coach that was a former pro soccer player that played at a very high level.

lazlo325 repped this.
  24. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think James O'Connor in Orlando most likely gave the FO a pause when considering MDS: winner in lower leagues, but stunk like skunks in MLS.