The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that soccer people get on camera because they want to be, not just because they are newsworthy and/or good-looking.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...-one-big-question-all-24-mls-teams-ahead-2019

Armchair Analyst: One big question for the San Jose Earthquakes

3. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #503 Beckham7, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the executive aviation terminal at SJC. I wonder if Fisher is flying Matias around on a private jet?

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be surprised if we man-mark, but then I expect I'm going to be surprised no matter what. Is Espinosa going to play forward for us? Or winger? If we play him and Danny up top, and Lopez and Lima at the outside spots, with three CD's in the back ... I'm thinking 3-5-2 again, which I really don't expect. Almeyda has had a lot of teams play a 4-4-2 empty bucket.

Go Quakes!!
    Can heroin help me make it through the season?

- Mark

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courtesy of xbhaskarx--- from a different thread.
    Formations used by Almeyda.
    [​IMG]

7. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So at Chivas and Banfield he used the 4-2-3-1 the most, and he used the empty bucket the most at River Plate. He's used a lot of formations, but many of them he only used once. If I had to guess, he'll use a 4-2-3-1 with our players. Hard to say as we could also fit the 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2/5-3-2.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen and analyzed that table before.

The thing is, he seems to make the most of the players he has on hand. What we have on hand mostly fits a 4-4-2. I’m not excited by that, but I think it most likely. We could go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 pretty easily too.

We don’t really know enough just yet.

I still fear the coming season.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We probably can just focus on his Chivas years, and the 4-2-3-1 was by far his most preferred, but, had greater success with the double #6 4-4-2. I still think we will see Godoy and Judson on the field together and both of these formations would allow this.
    I think the big question is how is he going to use Lopez? If he plays winger on the left does that mean Shea is back to starting at LB, or does he put someone like Jungwirth there? If Cummings and Kashia are a lock at CB Jungwirth could be the odd man out unless Lopez is used as a winger and he is slotted in at LB. Not ideal, since it means we really didn't address our LB problem.
    If Lopez doesn't play as an outright LB in a 4-4-2 I think a 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 is a distinct possibility, or even a 3-4-3.
    5-4-1 A little more stout defensively.
    ---------------------Hoesen------------
    Vako-----Godoy------Judson-----Espinoza
    Lopez----Flo----Cummings----Kashia-----Lima

3-4-3 A little more adventurous offensively
    -----Vako-----Hoesen-----Espinoza----
    Lopez----Godoy----Judson------Lima
    ------Flo------Kashia------Cummings

4-2-3-1 Plays Vako in the center which suits him better, also gets TT on the field.

--------------------Hoesen-------------------
    Thompson----Vako---------Espinoza
    ----------Godoy---------Judson-----------
    Lopez-----Cummings---Kashia----Lima

Antonio2020 and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an email for tomorrow's event. This is kind of surprising: no free food or drinks. I wonder if that means a lot of people are coming? Plus I didn't realize they want us hanging around for a couple of hours... ick
    • Season Pass Holders will get to meet select Quakes players from 1-2 p.m. in Audi Club 31-34.
    • Suenatron will perform, followed by a Q&A with Matias, Benjamin Galindo, Omar Zarif and Carlos Roa.
    • Food, drinks and merchandise will be available for purchase, and parking is free.
    • It seems like the rain may be looking forward to welcoming Matias tomorrow just as much as we are. Feel free to bring umbrellas and jackets, and we will do our best to adjust the timeline to keep you dry.
    • Please note that the MLS bag policy will be enforced: only non-backpacks smaller than 14" x 14" x 6" will be allowed.

Earthshaker repped this.
  11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, I did not read the Event Guide. It has a little more info, such as the food trucks and soccer activities

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Hope that means the Q&A starts around 2pm because that's probably when I'll make it over there.

13. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I guess the million dollar question is will Almeyda employ the same old school man marking strategy he used at Chivas. Very tough unless you have very fit two players, completely committed to the plan.

There are a few guys still on the roster who would really struggle with that strategy. Judson better be a freak of nature to cover for our slow CBs and Godoy's loose ends.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d guess the Q&A starts around 2:15 or 2:30, after the band.

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your 3-4-3 and your 4-2-3-1.

The 5-4-1 is too defensive for my taste, but I could see him employing that. Playing Vako in the center is a good idea. I think it makes the most of his skills, and he could really link up our offensive efforts. But, he'll have to be more of a team player, as he was late in the season.

Here's hoping!!

And I still expect us to suck.

GO Quakes!!
    We're going to chew it!

- Mark

Earthshaker repped this.
  16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just saw the event mentioned on FB. I received an email two+ weeks ago but no reminder, and anyway, I may be too busy preparing for the lunar eclipse to trek down to San Jose. I'm hoping someone here provides a report, but as described, it doesn't seem too promising.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NedZ, don gagliardi and Beckham7 repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good chance to practice one’s Spanish. At which I failed miserably. Plus Almeyda speaks quite a bit, but the translator paraphrases to one sentence.

Below are my notes. Ned don & SeaJay were there, but were jesse & tom Fox? I arrived late.

1087120557508718594 is not a valid tweet id

1087111866524946432 is not a valid tweet id

bobby_guzman, NedZ and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    pre-season in Cancun. To bad they didn't announce it sooner - that would have been a fun trip for fans to make.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, both were there. Jesse was pretty soaked by the end. He had been standing behind the crowd during Q&A. Tom never seems to have a hair out of place. Jesse's wife and son spent the time accompanying Matias' wife around during the event.

23. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you're going to have a public event to introduce your big name/big money coach to your fans, hire professional audio people to set up and run the PA system......"small team" mentality of the FO promotional department :(

so were most Mathias's answers your basic run of the mill little substance responses. or where there any of substance?

24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #524 NedZ, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    When I arrived I joined Don G, and Seismoenthusiast in line for STH which brought the fans into the Audi area where some players were sitting at tables for autographs. The players were Cummings, Godoy, Calvillo, Flo Affolter, Yueill, goalkeeper J.T. M., and the new Argentinian forward (who spoke no English).

When I got to Flo I said something like, "This will be the year, right?". In the past Flo has always been the bright, positive, fun guy. He sort of mumbled, without smiling, something like, "Yeah, sure..."

Maybe it was the rain, maybe I just bring out the worst in people, but I was a little surprised by the body language and the response.

I did have a chance to speak a little with Tom Fox and Jesse. I asked them both if the 19-year old Peruvian, considering his age, was expected to be a starter, since many foreign players and coaches have come to MLS and needed at least a season to adjust, no matter how good they were. They each told me yes, and Jesse mentioned that the kid has already won a championship.

While waiting for Almeyda to take the stage I was standing in the rain close to the stage surrounded by Chivas fans (plus one Club America fan and one who was holding up a scarf which I think read "Somos todos Peruvian"). Dan M. and the Ultras started chanting shortly before Almeyda and his staff took the stage.

The Chivas fans turned to see where the chants were coming from. As I watched, I felt I was seeing two different cultures here; the sort of blank stares from the Chivas fans didn't show apparent connection or acknowledgement of Ultras-Quakes-fans. By the same token, the Chivas fans' reception of Almeyda and staff, their physical surge towards the stage, and comments during the Q&A was a different experience than other Q&As I've attended at Avaya.

Notable was their reaction when Matias jumped down from the stage with his microphone to speak more directly to the fans (which essentially meant that now only first row or two of fans could even see him. I think that also helped end the event - people like me just started to leave because we couldn't see and the rain got worse). Here it was the individual who was the attraction, not the EQ team. I am curious to see if this season creates any lasting connection to the EQ by these fans, or if these folks were here today just to see Almeyda and Galindo.

DotMPP, Beerking, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  25. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought the questions and answers were pretty generic and the type which had already been asked and answered by journalists and put on the website when Almeyda first arrived. They seemed to be questions the Chivas fans might ask of an individual hero if they had never read any of the media coverage already published by the Quakes - which made me think they knew little of the Quakes and were just here because of Almeyda and Galindo.

I thought this would be a Q&A like last Quakes events where the fans who were present could ask questions. That often leads to technical questions like "Will you play man-to-man", or who will you play, what formation, etc etc. When the announcer (I think he's a Telemundo host) began he said fans had submitted questions at blue tent. I, for one, had been there since 1:00 PM (it was now close to 3 PM) and had no idea we could or should submit questions at some blue tent.

Usually Q&A sessions are of great interest to me to see what kind of questions are out there about the team, and how the answers are handled. I thought today's event was disappointing and uninformative as far as that goes. On the other hand, if a fan attended just to see and hear Almeyda, then it probably was fine for that fan.

xbhaskarx, mjlee22 and bobby_guzman repped this.