The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Adam Gase spent three years in Western New York during his childhood and briefly attended Williamsville South High School. . . .Gase . . .recalled some of his Buffalo memories . . . on a conference call with local media ahead of Sunday's Bills-Dolphins matchup.

"That feels like forever ago," Gase said. "I think I was there three years. I remember high school a little bit but I don’t remember much before that. I remember going to a lot of Buffalo Bills games with my dad . . ."

https://buffalonews.com/2016/10/19/...ls-living-in-wny-time-at-williamsville-south/

2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    To me, it seems early to have an opinion of how good the new signings will be. If you discredit Almeyda's ability, assume that coaching had nothing to do with last year's results (though in real time we all felt it did), and don't like the new signings, then I think it is right to be pessimistic about beating anyone other than MUFC.

I think coaching was a huge part of the problem, the new signings are exactly where on the field we needed help (we scored lots of goals last season, we just bled more), and that many teams in the league are very beatable. I think we'll be in the middle of the pack if we don't ship Magnus, and above the middle if we replace him with something worth what he cost.

Boysinblue and Beckham7 repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The die is cast, and it remains to see if it comes up seven or snakeyes. At this point, my major concern is the massive out clause his contract has (for a callup to a national team). In terms of my expectations, I’m willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. For about two months...

mjlee22 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Goodsport repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    @falvo - to me the above is rather self-serving, and negates the entire 20-year history of the NorCal/SoCal MLS rivalry - making it all about him and GBS. This disturbs me, to be truthful, and worries me that we may be dealing with a big ego here. Again - just an impression from the article you quote, but really? We need HIM and GBS to make the California Classico interesting????

Beerking, bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Goodsport, for the translation!

Goodsport repped this.
  8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to IMDB, Almeyda has already been in 22 films as Self. As a point of reference, David Beckham has been himself 152 times.

I don’t believe Almeyda is really here to rescue the team. I think he’s just here to aggrandize his own brand.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope you are wrong, but fear you are right.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How can anyone "aggrandize their brand" by associating themselves with a "small team" like the San Jose Earthquakes?

Beckham7, SJTillIDie and Earthshaker repped this.
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that I could help. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those "credits" are just TV sports shows that he was probably interviewed on, or maybe even some that he just was shown in highlight clips. And he appeared as himself in the famous TV miniseries "2002 FIFA World Cup" and "1998 FIFA World Cup".

xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but what was his motivation for appearing in those tournaments?? Show-off!
    ;)

markmcf8 and MtnGardener repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is associating with MLS. Being with Quakes is secondary. And since we were in last place, there is almost nowhere to go but up.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I’ve read, most players hate being interviewed onscreen. For example, rookies & newbies give the HT interviews. But he made a lot of noise on social media about being in last year's Chivas movie.

I’m just saying, the guy likes to be on camera.
    Remind you of anyone who playZ for LAG??

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a longtime player in Serie A and the Argentina national team and then a successful coach. He's going to get interviewed on-screen.
    How could he not be in a Chivas documentary? He was the coach.

You said that IMDB lists him appearing in 22 "films". This is not true. The Chivas documentary was a film, but other things listed there are not.

Balón de Oro de la Liga MX 2017 -- Looks like an awards show. He was there because he won an award.
    Fox Sports Radio Sur -- Probably a radio show with a camera for a TV feed. He got interviewed one time.
    Fútbol Para Todos -- I think this is just the game broadcasts of the Argentine league.
    Capitales del Futbol -- A travel documentary series that focuses on football derbies in cities around the world. Apparently he got interviewed in the Buenos Aires episode.
    2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan -- He played in the World Cup and it was on TV. Such a self promoter. He's really gone Hollywood, just like Landon Donovan, who is also rumored to have appeared on TV at this same World Cup.

Sactown Soccer and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you even trying to say with all of this??

And if Almeyda was the coaching equivalent of Zlatan that would mean... we'd have one of the best coaches in the league??

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that coaching was a huge part of the problem last year.

Assume that Espinosa is the replacement for Magnus.

If we do ditch Magnus, then we get another international spot, and we get his salary back, which means that we can sign another quality player, assuming that we know where to look.

Lopez and Espinosa address two glaring holes in our roster. Judson not so much, unless he's miles better than Luis Felipe or Jackson.

And we still need a new GK (might be happening today!) and we still need another striker.

I'm still not optimistic. I'll be shocked if we make the playoffs. We won't be contenders.

Go Quakes!!
    Pass the whiskey!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repeat:

I’m just saying, the guy likes to be on camera.​

Beerking repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you said more than that.

"I don’t believe Almeyda is really here to rescue the team. I think he’s just here to aggrandize his own brand."

alexiskool1991, Boysinblue and mjlee22 repped this.
  21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do Self credits in IMDb mean anything? I don’t know.
    But I looked up a few players/coaches
    • David Beckham = 152
    • Thierry Henry = 77
    • Zinedine Zidane = 65
    • Pep Guardiola = 48
    • Ryan Giggs = 39
    • Zlatan Ibrahimovic = 35
    • Juergen Klinsmann = 29
    • Patrick Vieira = 27
    • Landon Donovan = 25
    • Matías Almeyda = 22
    • GB Schelotto = 21
    • Bruce Arena = 4
    • Sigi Schmidt = 2
    • Bob Bradley = 1

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If, like I pointed out already, they get a "himself" credit for showing up at an awards show or playing in the World Cup, then no, they don't mean anything.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You know it's the offseason when a stat we are looking at is imdb credits. Maybe there's some moneyball angle there that just hasn't been unearthed yet ;).

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Why does it matter how many times he has been on camera. Dang if he is successful enough to force cameras to follow him then I feel the Earthquakes got what they needed from this signing and we are all a happier bunch.

He did not come to SJ to fail, his aspirations cannot afford failure in MLS so I expect him to bring us success starting this year and moving upwards each season afterwards.

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gave a list of very successful players and coaches. Looks like Almeyda is in good company.
    And so, your point is?:)

MtnGardener repped this.