The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Italians moving all the wires were on strike for the last few days.

[​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Best way to keep the Russians off Facebook. :)

DotMPP, markmcf8 and 2in10 repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the MLS rules for massive roster changes? Aren't we limited in number? ... I would assume you cannot just buy out every contract you do not want, and we have a number of multi-year contracts still on this roster. Plus, where you might want to make a trade, some of our players are not worthy of what they are already being paid!

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rules? Ha ha ha. :)

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can outright buy out the contract for one player per year, if I remember right, and get their roster spot back. I don't know how releasing players works, but I assume any hit against the cap, international spots, DP spots, etc are still in effect, even if you cut them from the roster.

So yes, the team will have many limitations on rebuilding, but there's always a lot that can be done. I would expect that the Quakes will try to trade for allocation money primarily, the way they did last year, then sign players from outside the league, only this time from somewhere other than Sweden.

markmcf8, davez and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

[​IMG]

Beerking repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    How many players can be re-assigned to Reno? I wouldn’t care if big contract guys like Magnus played there. Hell, send him on a season long loan to Sweden.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Quakes "announced" it, where is the announcement?
    Or did they announce it via random social media accounts?

12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it true. Kreis was spotted at the Crew practice the other day wearing Crew gear.
    1050416332792127488 is not a valid tweet id

13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please no, Kreis whines more than Porter....:cry:

Beerking repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we can buy out only one contract per year.

Quintana, who I think has real potential, is on a one year loan. I expect him to go back to Peñarol at the end of the season. Not that I want him to, but that's what I expect.

Then we have a bunch of guys who may or may not be on longish-term contracts.

If we loan a guy to Reno, a season long loan, then he does not count against our roster in any way shape or form. So Musovski and Thiaw, por ejemplo, don't count against our roster, but we pay their salaries and they are our players. They just hang out in Reno. (I could totally dig hanging out in Reno.)

If we cut a guy, we're on the hook for his salary, and we take the cap hit, but we get the international spot and roster spot back. So, we could cut some guys, but that doesn't free up salary cap space.

Players that we waive go through the re-entry draft process. IF any of those guys get picked up by another team, we're off the hook for their salary, we free up salary cap space, we get their roster spot and international spot back. And the re-entry draft is a two or three part saga. We waive a player. He can then be picked up by another team within a limited number of days at his current salary. If no other team takes him within that time, then he can be picked up by any team, including us, and the team gets to renegotiate his contract.

Clearly, if we can trade a guy, that's the cleanest way to get rid of players. So maybe we could trade one of Godoy, Kashia, Vako, or Eriksson. I'm not sure we have many more players that another club might want. Maybe we could trade Oduro, but more likely we just let his contract expire. I at least half expect him to catch on with another team. He still has some miles in his legs.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

hc897 repped this.
  15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #240 hc897, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    I didn't do a deep dive, but this article has all the rules regarding the roster: https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations.

I saw lots about bringing players up from USL affiliates for certain circumstances (extended roster, extreme scenarios, non MLS competitions, etc). I didn't see anything about sending players down from the first team to the USL affiliate, though it's probably in there somewhere. I'd have to assume that players signed to the senior roster can be assigned to the USL team for some amount of time, but I would also have to assume that everything about that player still counts against the cap, international spots, etc.

So assigning senior players to USL would not accomplish much. I know someone on the forum posted the rules about this, but couldn't find them in the MLS article. That's likely because those are USL rules as opposed to MLS rules. Sorry for forgetting who it was who posted that!

Edit: Looks like Mark already clarified some of the points regarding season long loans of players to USL, though I know guys Thompson end up playing quite a bit there instead of with the senior team, which is interesting.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upside to Kreis is that he's a really offensive minded coach, and he wants every team to play attractive, attacking soccer. No fugly 4-4-2 empty-bucket crapola for him. Also, can he be worse than Ralston? Why is Ralston still starting Eriksson?

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  17. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does anyone else think these tweets appear to be from Russian MAGA tweet bots?

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say. What do Earthquakes tweets usually look like?

No, you're right, these look suspicious.

- Mark

19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't I read that the new coach is bringing his Chivas crew here?

20. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Joel Soria speculated that. It sounds good to me if he wants to bring some players and some coaches from Liga MX. It would be cool with me if he could talk a few Liga MX refs into coming too! :D

davez repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn’t he tryout with the Quakes? Or was that Joe Sofia?

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would cost us $1 million to buy him from Penarol. The guy can't get any minutes here, no way do we fork over that much for a bench warmer.

Beerking, Beckham7 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They could do like they did with Danny and go back to Penarol and renegotiate the buy out fee.

alexiskool1991, davez and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started for us at the beginning of the season. I think (could be wrong) that the only reason he's on the bench is that they didn't want to pay a million for him. They wanted to see if one of our other defenders could be as good or better for less money.

BUT, Jesse likes Quintana. Almeyda is South American. We're going to cut some dead weight from the roster. I think there's a chance that we keep Yefferson.

He's our fastest Central Defender, and we need a guy with some speed back there. He's also good in the air.

But yeah, maybe we lose Yefferson in the off-season.

GO Quakes!!

- Mark

25. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only things heʽs good at. Also for him being our fastest CB, he mistimes his tackles too much. Iʽd be ok bringing him back for a cheaper price. Otherwise weʽre just as good with Ockford back there