The Official Magnus Eriksson thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Dec 20, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, but as I understand it your eyewitness testimony is inadmissible during a VAR review.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it makes it hard for me to be outraged by the call after I saw him chicken-wing it.

SoccerMan94043 and markmcf8 repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #128 xbhaskarx, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    100% of the blame on that play goes to Magnus IMO... It looked pretty damn clear and obvious to me.

The bigger question is why in recent years do our highly paid guys who should be the team leaders pull such boneheaded stunts in key moments? Like the MPG second yellow for removing his jersey. Or that time two guys (was it Bernardez and Gordon, I have blocked all memory) went off to get their cleats changed at the same time. I mean part of the expectation when a player is being paid a huge salary should include not doing dumb s*** at the worst possible times...

It reminds me way too much of that other Fisher owned team in the 2000s, Jeremy Giambi vs Jeter, Miguel Tejada arguing while not standing on third base, Eric Byrnes forgetting to touch home plate, Tim Hudson getting in a fight in a Boston bar the night before a playoff game, etc. NY Times: The Curious Curse of the Oakland A’s

The only silver lining is the Quakes are usually so bad that it doesn't really matter...

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The reversal was improper in the absence of conclusive video. That's the rule, a rule with the same sanctity as the one by which you cannot use your hands.

I believe I'm entitled to an opportunity to examine the video on which the reversal was based in order to determine whether the rule was followed.

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would not be surprised if this is a case of simply seeing these things happen on the Quakes because you pay attention to that team more, making it seem like they happen at a higher rate. Plus the fact that the Quakes have had poor player evaluation. Eriksson may have cost the Quakes a fair amount of money, but nobody in their right mind would think he was actually worth what he was paid. A bad player with an unwillingness to adapt equals stupid decisions by that player.

The second yellow for the shirt thing was dumb, but it made no difference in the overall standings, so it's inconsequential. I think the same could be said for the cleats fiasco. And nothing any Quakes player did made any difference in 2018. They may as well have forfeited all their games and almost nothing would have been different.

If the Quakes were in the playoffs year after year and kept getting bounced out on weird stuff like that, maybe it would be worth losing sleep over. As of now, it's utterly without consequence.

To derail this back to the A's for a second, the 2000s era of the A's was hallmarked by players who were deficient in ways that made them available to the team in the first place (Tejada not withstanding). Jeremy Giambi was not a great baseball player and had lots of problems on and off the field. That is why he was affordable for the A's, but weighing the good with the bad was part of the whole thing. And back then, the A's were looking very much at certain skills and were willing to ignore stuff (especially behavior stuff) that probably wouldn't be ignored now.

Back on the Quakes front, Doyle was just an idiot or didn't really care, and Fioranelli hasn't built a very strong case for himself that he's also not an idiot.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything you say is true, but it's still annoying as hell. Moreover, it's indicative of the massive incompetence and idiocy of OUR team. Maybe other teams have the same level of dumb plays, stupid moves and so on. But those aren't MY team, so I don't give a squat.

We have picked bad players.
    We have played guys out of position.
    We make risky signings.
    We hire bad coaches. (Hope and believe that Matias is much better.)
    We have failed to develop decent young players.
    We do stupid things as discussed in the posts above.
    We make the same stupid mistakes over and over and over.

I am wounded by OUR team's behavior and incompetence.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

leocal11 repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The "cleats fiasco" occurred in a 1-1 draw versus Vancouver in April 2013, in which the WhiteCaps' tying goal came while two Quakes players were off the pitch due to their simultaneous wardrobe malfunctions. The mishap cost the Quakes two points in the standings, which were critical since the Quakes missed the playoffs that season on a total points tiebreaker with Colorado. It therefore made a huge difference in the overall standings.

DotMPP, TyffaneeSue, Boysinblue and 3 others repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fair enough, I didn't check to see in what year that occurred. It's not a guarantee that the result of that game would not have been the same without the that occurring, however it did directly impact the play in which Vancouver scored, so it's fair enough to be upset about that particular occurrence. It was pretty stupid.

The Quakes were a bad team in 2013 and probably would have flamed out in the playoffs anyway, so while the whole thing was ridiculous, it isn't something I dwell on as some great lost opportunity. But really, my point was that the Quakes probably don't commit an above average number of really stupid moments like that for a team as old as they are. If we can collectively only come up with a handful of examples in a decade of soccer, well, that's not bad.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I included Tim Hudson getting in a bar fight, let's add Lenny injuring himself by biking in flip flops to the Quakes list...

DotMPP, hc897 and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Off the field, but very stupid. Not unlike what's his face in San Francisco getting hurt riding dirt bikes in the offseason or Flacco riding a skateboard days before the Superbowl (although Flacco didn't actually hurt himself, at least).

12. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also like to point out Magnus arguably got away with another handball in the run-up to our first goal to keep the ball in play that the ref did not overturn.

I'd also add Goodson in our CCL run timewasting on a yellow card when taking a free kick when Jordan Stewart was right next to him to the list. Goodson had to miss the first leg of the Toluca series because of this.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I thought that was a handball too... I watched the highlights later that night and they didn't show it. Is there video of that incident anywhere?

14. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a clip of it here. It's best to change the settings to view it at 0.5 to see it a little slower. Because his arm is right next to Escobar's leg I don't blame anyone for not noticing but you can clearly see Magnus' right arm's motion to keep it in and the change in movement of the ball that could not have come from Escobar's leg. I couldn't find a better clip but I also watched it on television later and saw it from a different angle. I remember some Atlanta players appealing for it aswell.

Earthshaker and bsman repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    pretty GD clear to me that this is without a doubt deliberate handling, and thus deserving of a PK being awarded.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I paid good money to watch the game and I am (as is every paid customer) entitled to know that it was on the up-and-up.

17. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry this was for another handball Magnus did that game that went uncalled. His other one was at this point of the same video I posted.

bobby_guzman and Earthshaker repped this.
  18. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Dang, that is clear video evidence of a chicken wing

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There you go, the smoking gun. Definite handball by Eriksson.

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eriksson's arm was on the up and up and clearly contacted the ball.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That video shows both Magnus handballs

At 0:23 is the one he got away with

At 1:27 is the one that got reversed by VAR

Both seem clear and obvious to me, and I'm not sure how anyone can really even argue otherwise.

Of course it looks like certain Quakes fans will complain about the latter for the next two decades while ignoring the former (the call that the refs actually GOT WRONG). lol

In any case, what a f***ing embarrassment that this disgraceful dumba** is still on our team...

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    strange how we keep getting this teasers about him leaving only to be left wondering what's going on. obviously the implications here are huge with him being the only DP slot we might be able to free up.

bobby_guzman, TyffaneeSue and tvromero repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thank you. Now I'm satisfied.

This should have been shown on the stadium scoreboard in conjunction with the reversal. And MLS should have released it in the aftermath of the game.

markmcf8, DotMPP and lazlo325 repped this.
  24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn, now what's going to keep Falvo's Coliseum Shea memory company?

25. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Plus it looks like we are out of INT slots as well. The current group includes both Qwiberg and Magnus, one or both needs to go.