The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see the game, just the lowlights, but it looked to me like all of our defenders got torched.

We need to see some lineup changes for the next game.

At a minimum, we need to see Hoesen at striker for the match against LaF#$k. Beyond that, I want TT in for Magnus, or really, anyone in for Magnus, and I want Luis Felipe in for Godoy.

And I'd like to see Ockford in for either Kashia or Cummings. I've seen Ock and Harold work reasonably well together, so that's the pairing I want to see. Also, I think that Kashia is too easily pulled out of position and takes too many risks. Of course, the same could be said of Cummings. Really, we need two new starting CDs.

I don't think the Almeyda experiment is going to work. I know I should be patient, but we don't have the horses to play the way he wants us to. And we're not getting new players, and if he can't tell that Godoy and Eriksson are shit ... well I just don't know what to think anymore.

Go Whiskey!!
    Whiskey is better than Quakes Fútbol!!

My Goddess we're shit!

- Mark

davez and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's not all talk either, in addition to back to back MLS Cup appearances:

1107477587511525376 is not a valid tweet id

1107478042903896064 is not a valid tweet id

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Looks like I was 100% correct about Cowell. Now that it’s come out I bet the Quakes will play this like it was planned all along.

Semi-Official 2019 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/index.php?posts/37631630/

Beerking and asdf2 repped this.
  4. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jesse resign NOW!!!!

Beerking, asdf2, xbhaskarx and 1 other person repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It will take 3-4 years before we can rely on Cowell. This whole push for the youth movement is sp overrated and its getting real old.

Can anyone imagine if we have to wait for 3 or 4 more seasons of crap teams waiting for the promise that these youngsters will come through for us?

We need players now!

6. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over his head. Not really a soccer guy. Would be better as an advisor. No infrastructure to really work with (looking at the owner). This team needs someone that understands the real needs of the team, not a person using his time as a fantasy team GM.
    It’s real to some of us.

asdf2 repped this.
  7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    An advisor in what? I wouldn't take the guy's account of the weather, let alone let him advise me in how to put a soccer team together.

8. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe as a travel advisor to Italy, but it would be done cautiously.
    I’ve lived in Italy (Sicily, really).

hc897 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jesse was a lower level scout technical advisor for Roma. I don't believe was a big time wheeler and dealer. He speaks a few languages which would be good if he were going over and signing players but he hasn't done that yet.

asdf2 repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

He should be fired for gross incompetence.

As I have said half a dozen times, I have never heard him say a single interesting thing. At first I chalked it up to English not being his first language. But at this point maybe it's time to accept he's essentially Peter Sellers' character from "Being There"... and people were impressed by a bunch of platitudes.

Beerking, davez and Boysinblue repped this.
  11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does it say more about Jesse or the Coaches that wondo godoy and Shea still are lock starters.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Jesse, I really do. He's a nice guy. He shoulders a lot of the blame for last season, and for this season too. I know that he wants the best for our club. I know that gets it. I just fear that he's not actually up to the task.

I spoke to Jesse on the phone earlier this evening. He told me not to share this stuff, so I won't. Mostly, he tried to reassure me that this is huge project, that it's going to take time, they are changing the way they do everything. We discussed that our existing players have to unlearn some old habits and learn new habits, which takes time. I expressed my concern that if Matias gets called by a National Team to be their coach, then we're going to lose him and all of his staff. So I want to see a coach that belongs to us on Matias' staff. Jesse told me that everyday at practice, one of the youth team coaches comes to practice and records the practice. The recording is used by both the first team and the youth teams. So basically, we have six coaches a week learning Matias' methods. That's a good sign.

Jesse said that our scouting system is way better than in previous years (when we didn't have a scouting system) and that he and Matias are looking for players that will fit what they want to do. It sounded like Jesse was concerned about signing a player who will be really good for two or three seasons at least. That is, it sounded like he was concerned about some of his previous signings not being good enough, and therefore is really carefully vetting any potential new players.

He said the Matias liked some of the structural things that we were already doing before Matias got here.

Jesse is convinced that we're on the right path, even though it's slow going.

Bottom line, we're going to continue to suck for at least several weeks. I don't see us signing any new players before 7May19. And hopefully, they will be careful to sign real impact players in the summer transfer window. In any case, we're in trouble, and we're going to remain in trouble for the foreseeable future.

I'm doing a distillery crawl (three distilleries, I think) for a friend's birthday this weekend. Maybe if I just stay hammered the rest of the season, or go to concerts and not watch the games?

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Beckham7 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  14. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Hi Mark,

I fear Jessie is playing you. I don't think he has a clue. Not one. Now I haven't spoken to him, nor do I suspect he wants to speak to me, from my perspective he is subject 1 on what is wrong with the Quakes.

He has missed on everything he has done so far, perhaps with the exception of Vako, everything else has been a complete whiff.

And I am not satisfied that we have an academy coach attending every practice. There should be a full-time coach who is an American and belongs to the Quakes, on his staff. And if not, he should be shown the door. I didn't like it when I first saw his staff, I like it a lot less now that we 0-4 and are sitting on a 2-14 goal aggregation of the season.

We are the worst team in the league, and perhaps on a record setting pace, and we don't have one single staff member who will be here when Jessie departs.

How did we get to this place?

And more importantly, how do we leave?

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm....I guess I wasn't that far off on my planet Johnnie Walker comment in the other thread.;)

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    it's great that he talked to you but what can he say, really? the minute he even gets close to suggesting anything about our crap ownership situation, he's gone. these guys are all in a ridiculous bind and facing a fan base that is completely done with this fisherball bullshit and absolutely out of patience. Last season was the final straw for a lot of people (including a number of lifelong fans in here who've finally had enough and bailed on their season tix, sadly), finishing in last place after being soo bad for soo long. then, to add insult to injury, we do next to nothing on the player side over the entire offseason (oh and apparently the transfer window is still open btw, but we're taking our time, being much more careful now having what, botched several signings? lol) and somehow they expected different results, and then, once everyone realized Matias isn't some kind of miracle worker, these guys want to preach patience, takes time to learn a new system and (best of all) "we're on the right path"... as if anyone believes that. that's exactly the kind of party line nonsense I thought I'd hear from Jesse, what else can he say really? I'm sure these guys all know damn well what's going on but their jobs depend on how well they can keep selling the swindle.

Beerking repped this.
  17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you were. First, because I was quoting another poster, and not saying that I thought Matias would be fired. And second, because I don't drink Johnny Walker.

Mostly, I drink bourbon and Dry Fly, 100% Washington Wheat Whiskey. It's really good stuff, and made in Spokane specifically. And I've been getting into Absinthe lately too.

Go SJFans!!

- Mark

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not.

I hear you.

Let's imagine for a moment that we were in Jesse's shoes in say, April of last year. What would we have done?

I'd have sacked Stahre, and then, I'd have hired a coach with MLS experience, hell, I'd never have hired Stahre in the first place. But let's say that we had made that mistake. On paper, he wasn't a terrible choice.

But, in the off-season, we should have hired a really good coach, who would change our culture, someone like Matias. We need a full-on sea change.

Any coach that could do that for us would run into the same issues, a roster full of old and slow players, guys who really aren't good enough, a low-level DP who is good but not a game changer, a handful of young guys with promise, and an aging legend. Moreover, if you want a culture change, the existing players almost by definition won't fit the new strategies, tactics, and philosophy. I would have changed out a ton of players for precisely this reason. It would be the quickest way to change the mindset, instill a winning attitude, and it would give us players the new coach could work with. The downside is that it might cause a lot of friction in the locker room - Old Guys versus New Guys.

I won't get into too much of what Jesse told me, but basically, they chose not to change out a lot of players from the existing roster. (Maybe because of Fisher's miserliness? or maybe because they thought they could get more out of this roster than Mika did?)

I think that most of us fans value MLS experience more than Jesse or Fox, especially for the coaching staff.

Clearly, we'd have made different choices but was still going to be an uphill battle to improve, and we would almost certainly have gotten off to a slow start, just look at our opponents the first eight games.

I certainly don't give Jesse or Matias a pass. I'm very critical as I have expressed in several places. BUT, having made the mistake of hiring Mika and bringing in Eriksson, Qwiberg, and Kashia, Jesse was clearly in a bind. Yes, a bind of his own making, but there's no easy path out of this mess.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

SeaJayBee and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Stahre Out! :)

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This right here is why I don't think Fioranelli is cut out to be a GM. Why spend the time trying to get players in the back half and twilight of their careers to unlearn everything they know when they aren't going to fit into your long-term plans?

First, they probably won't unlearn it. Second, the team could have opened up a ton of cap space with which to attract high-value players they've identified. Instead, we have Godoy playing terribly, Wondowski taking time away from other players that could be contributing, and Jungwirth sitting on the bench. None of these players have value on the field, and none of them are going to suddenly learn how to play, essentially, a different game.

But instead they'd rather spend all their efforts to get residency status for players that don't even see the field (and to clarify, I have nothing against these players getting residency status, only that the overall effort of the team seems to be focused in the wrong direction.

They build it up as if opening up internationals lots and this and that are going to pay off, but you actually have to sign contributing players for them to do so, and they could have opened up the international slots more quickly by not keeping players that occupy them yet don't contribute.

I just can't believe anything the FO says because there is no evidence to back up any of the things that they've said.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absinthe may help you in your attitude toward the Quakes, because you know the saying.........absinthe make the heart grow fonder.
    [​IMG]

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Conmen speak eloquently too. ;)

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jesse is not eloquent, he's congenial.

jeff_adams and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    there was no choice. I bet when the player salary info gets release we will all learn that the Quakes spent at least 20% less for players this year (over last year) despite finishing dead last, last year. fisher decided he could avoid spending money by pitching this ridiculous notion that a wonder coach could squeeze more juice out of this last place "roster full of old and slow players, guys who really aren't good enough, a low-level DP who is good but not a game changer, a handful of young guys with promise, and an aging legend"...nobody outside of camp fisher ever believed that (okay, maybe a few here) and I doubt if anyone within the camp believed it either but, unfortunately for those of us who care about this stuff, they must all drink the kool-aid, their jobs depend on it. it's utter nonsense. this is the most epic chapter in the failed history of fisherball, that season when it is more obvious than ever what is holding us back, we are the keystone cops of MLS with a FO trying to avoid blaming their boss for this utter crapfest.

[​IMG]

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to say that I spoke to Jesse and he sounded rational.

Jesse emphasized that the team have made a lot of structural improvements and that they have improved their methodology and that the youth teams and Reno are now better integrated with the club and what the first team is trying to do. All of that is to the good, no doubt about it.

But to your point that we should have switched out more players in the off-season, comrade, I'm 100% in agreement with you. At the end of last season, I made a list of nine players (I think it was nine, maybe ten?) that I would have ditched, even if it meant eating a chunk of their salaries. And I had a list of positions that we needed to improve, and I suggested that we snag a player or two in the re-entry draft. So yeah, you and I are on the same page; I was just trying to express Jesse's sense of what we're doing without sharing most of the details because he asked me not to.

On the one hand, I understand what his vision is, on the other hand, I'm not sure we can pull it off.

Mind you, we needed a coach who would change our approach completely and give us a defined style of play and direction. I don't think I'd have hired Matias because our roster does not fit his vision. We have to teach old dogs new tricks, and that's going to be difficult and may not work completely. And the young guys on the roster are mostly not ready for prime time, so throwing them into the fire is not likely to be successful and could crush their development.

We're in a bind. Granted, it's of our own making, but we're in a bind none the less.

In retrospect, we should have made Chris Leitch GM, and then he would have hired someone with MLS experience. We wouldn't be world beaters, but we wouldn't be the laughing stock of the league either. We reached for the brass ring and fell off the horse completely. (And I think we tried something similar last season as well.)

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer, TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.