The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    THIS!! ^ Make it so.

Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That’s what we love about our Goodsport -

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    So this is my expectation for 2019. This year is totally owned by Jesse. If we make the playoffs, he gets one more year. If we miss, he gets shown the door.

So far, he has been a colossal disappointment, and his disregard of the American players, which are foundational to success in the league, does not bode well for him. How many players did we add in the offseason from other MLS club (all of which finished ahead of us in the table, did I mention ALL OF WHICH finished ahead of us in the table) is zero. ZERO. 0. Nada.

Clock is ticking Jesse.

5. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How many of those teams added those type of players? Honest question as I do not know. Knowing that we could see were we rank in that regard.

6. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    My point is that when you finish dead last you need to do a lot of remodeling. Particularly when you finish dead last with a veteran club, which we were. Yes we had some kids and they rarely made the 18, nevertheless the pitch.

And you need to use every avenue available to you. Given MLS regulations, more than half your team has to consist of American players and you can't tell me that none of the players available in the waiver drafts would have been better than what we had in our roster. After all we finished dead last. Everyone else available played for a team better than the Quakes. Some of them had to be of quality to help the Quakes finish, I don't know, not dead last?

And that is on Jesse and his Eurosnob approach to soccer. I mean Magnus Ericsson, a DP, what a dynamic player (not). Qwiborg, at $250k a year, and he made the 18 what 6 times last year?

Pathetic.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Last year, we signed Europe based players, but this year, a Peruvian, Brazilian, and Argentina (2). Must be the new coach. :rolleyes:

Plus, last year and this year, he has signed three young US players.

Could he sign some US players from other teams? Sure. There are multiple ways to build team and all of them can work. However, at the end of the day, it's about signing good players with some of them being American.

Jesse is and should be accountable.

David Scott, Boysinblue and davez repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were three or four GKs in the re-entry draft. We could have snagged one of those guys, but instead we spent money, real money, to sign a USL GK. F@#$ that!

Sorry, that's just piss poor use of our resources, and that USL GK really, really has to be good. Maybe he is, but the MLS guys we could have signed would have been good too, and tested against our MLS competitors and they would actually know most of the players on the other teams. This was a no brainer, but apparently, we are without brains.

I'm glad to see us adding youngsters, but we could use an MLS starting quality player here or there, and there were some available to us in the re-entry draft.

GO Quakes!!
    Uselessly biased against our own league!!

- Mark

davez and bobby_guzman repped this.
  9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ProSoccerUSA graded the East and West conferences on their off-season trades. I read thru them pretty quickly, but I thought there were a lot of examples of teams trading players.
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/offseason-grades-for-every-western-conference-mls-team/
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/offseason-grades-for-every-eastern-conference-team/

Quakes05 repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made this same point about a dozen times... we didn't use like half a dozen different mechanisms for improving our roster with MLS players.

11. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the teams above us added a player from another team above us, the lone exception being FC Dallas.

NYRB: Amro Tarek, Marcus Epps
    Atlanta: Brek Shea
    NYCFC: Tony Rocha
    DC United: Chris Seitz, Chris McCann
    Columbus: Walyon Francis, Joe Bendik
    Philly: Aurelien Collin
    Montreal: Maxi Urruti
    New England: Edgar Castillo
    Toronto: Nick DeLeon
    Chicago: Fabian Herbers, Christian Martinez, David Ousted
    Orlando: Brian Rowe, Danilo Acosta, Joao Moutinho, Tesho Akindele

SKC: Rodney Wallace, Erik Hurtado, Kelyn Rowe
    Seattle: Jonathan Campbell
    LAFC: Mohamed El-Munir
    Dallas: None
    Portland: Claude Dielna
    RSL: Donny Toia
    Galaxy: Matt Lampson
    Vancouver: PC, Scott Sutter, Maxime Crepeau, Zac MacMath, Andy Rose
    Houston: Maynor Figueroa, Tommy McNamara, Marlon Hairston
    Minny: Ike Opara, Osvaldo Alonso
    Colorado: Diego Rubio, Keegan Rosenberry, Benny Feilhaber, Kei Kamara

This was from scanning the MLS transfer tracker I might have missed a few guys here and there but I double checked FC Dallas.

12. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    When you win the wooden spoon all player movement within MLS involves "teams above us".

13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed.

It's also like saying every other team has an easier schedule than us this year... of course they do, we suck until we prove differently.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  14. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I think Jesse just wants a sit down with MJlee regarding the jersey, I don't think he expects an entire arsenal of questions. Besides, he's a snake oil salesman, you really think he's going to answer you honestly?

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I would appreciate the opportunity to decide for myself, I’ve never met the man, don’t think I’ve ever heard him speak a word.

16. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should go for it, and find out for yourself. I don't need to because I already see what he accomplished (or did not)for 2 years here going on another futile 3rd.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. David Scott

David Scott Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would like to remind every one that our 2012 Supporter Shield winning team was built mostly (except for backline) through transfer. Goal (Bush from Chicago Fire 2010), Midfield (Sam Cronin from Toronto 2010, Marvin Chavez from Dallas 2012, Shea Salinas reacquired from Vancouver 2012, Alan Gordon from Toronto in 2011, Steven Lenhart from Columbus and finally greatest Quakes player of all time Wondo from Houston in 2009).

Still sheer out of arrogance, Jesse refuses to sign any MLS player. He even gave away two useful MLS players of low salary (Ceren and Quincy) practically for nothing.

Honore de Ballsac and bobby_guzman repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And every single one of those players had career years at the same time, which was completely unpredictable. The year after, the team was mediocre to bad, and guys like Chavez were quickly out of the league altogether.

Don't use 2012 as some kind of predictive measurement. It was an outlier that was a gift from the soccer gods. It had almost nothing to do with competence at the GM or coaching level, since both failed to maintain or recreate that season afterwards.

bsman and due time repped this.
  20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you missed it, but I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Alan Gordon said the 2012 Goonies had great chemistry in the locker room because they were all rejects with everything to prove, and that Frank Yallop was a good man manager.

bsman, bobby_guzman, Quakes05 and 3 others repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sure, that makes a lot of sense to me. Yallop being a good personality manager makes a great deal of sense, too. Players always seemed to like to play for him no matter what the performances were like.

Unfortunately, Yallop was not a good tactician, or at least wasn't able to keep up with the changes in the game, and it was pretty obvious. And Doyle seemingly got extremely lucky with those players rather than him having some kind of system to identify players that were poised for success but in bad situations.

Fioranelli is looking more and more like Doyle every day that passes, which is a real shame.

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me again how sustainable the 2012 ended up. It was a one hit wonder. Not a good example.

However, I agree that Quakes should do more with looking at MLS players.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything that Jesse said to me last April turned out to be true. We disagreed with each other, respectfully, but he sure didn't lie to me.

Go Quakes!!
    Still terrible!!

- Mark

due time, NedZ, SeaJayBee and 2 others repped this.
  24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #2199 NedZ, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    I've many conversations with Jesse. He is open, honest, sincere, and wants the team to succeed. He also feels a responsibility to care about his players and to support them as best he can. He truly values fan input. This is not to say he has not made mistakes or that his decisions or judgment cannot be questioned. I am only saying that he is not corrupt, cynical, manipulative, or stupid. Anyone should be free to disagree with him and to evaluate his performance using any standard they wish. However, in my opinion, criticism of his personal character or motivation is misplaced.

To make a comparison, I have had some past interactions with individuals in the franchise where I felt some cynicism or manipulation, motivated by business concerns, was taking place. I haven't experienced that with Jesse.

bobby_guzman, SeaJayBee and markmcf8 repped this.
  25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, our last GM spent valuable time working on his full time job with the Mustangs. At least Jesse seems focused on the Quakes only.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.