The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lanus is "obscure" by my subjective definition -- as mentioned, I had never heard of them. :)

I don't even "casually follow South American soccer" and it's fair to say that 99.9 percent of Americans are similarly ignorant. I've heard of Boca and River Plate and Racing and San Lorenzo and probably a couple other clubs, which I'm sure puts me in the top one percentile of all US citizens, but I had never heard of Lanus. Don't know whether the Argentine league is currently in season or who's top of the table, or who won last season. And I'm blissfully indifferent.

When we're talking "marquee" players, in my mind we're talking about people like Pele or David Beckham, who are familiar names to most Americans who have never watched a soccer game. (By the way, my octogenarian mother's limited knowledge of soccer players does not extend beyond Hope Solo, and mostly for her off the field exploits, so to speak.) I'll grant you Zlatan and David Villa and that ilk, but most Americans would not know who they were even today.

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From your lips....

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

We've made this error too many times. I fear more 4-4-2 empty bucket is in our future. Maybe there is some sort of cowardly juice in the ground water?

I want to see bold initiative from the new regime. Even if we fall flat, I'd rather we try something new, build toward a recognizable vision, than play a "safe" boring style, and no doubt still lose.

I fear the new season. :cry:

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

4. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're not the only one. I also remembered this. It came from one of our social media beat reporter I believe, just a day or two after Almeyda was hired.

mjlee22 repped this.
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    1i Bobby Convey #10!!!! Yeah, that's the ticket.

bsman repped this.
  6. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    So we picked an international slot kid from the draft. Which is fine I guess, though I'm sensing our new coaching team will favor international players over domestic product. Just like Jesse. Which made me think: Oh crap. Almeyda brought his whole coaching team, who know nothing about MLS. Who are they really counting on to understand the league, our opponents, all the terribly complicated acquisition and roster rules -- Jesse Fioranelli???:eek: I feel bad for Leitch.

7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Our coaching staff beat Toronto (at their peak) in the champions league. So it could be that they have a skewed perspective of MLS thinking we’re all as good as Toronto was in 2017.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Wow. Even Zlatan misses your cut. Because most non-soccer fans had never heard of him. Now that he is in the US and gets on ESPN he _might_ squeak in under your guidelines. I'll run a poll this weekend to see how Zlatan does.

Please, Don, read up on some leagues from which we can afford the youngsters so we aren't doomed to pick over-the-hill players from England, or wait until Ronaldo is 38 (and lose him to L.A. anyway). But don't bother reading up on Georgia. We have them covered

markmcf8 and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not the one advocating for marquee players, or the one advising whom the Quakes sign, so your request appears misdirected.

And speaking of reading, as I've posted previously elsewhere on this board, among the books I've been juggling since last summer is Angels with Dirty Faces: How Argentine Soccer Defined a Nation and Changed the Game Forever (Jonathan Wilson, 2016). I'm only about seven chapters in, but our discussion of Lanus caused me to fast forward to the index to see what is said about the club. Although Boca, River Plate and Racing all have a paragraph worth of listings, Lanus is simply unmentioned in the index. Not one mention, per the index. Take that for what it is worth.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

11. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Stop the presses!! Club says they got exactly the players they wanted in the (MLS, NFL, NBA, MLB, *insert your league here*) draft!

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Sorry, I should have included a wink. I was just having fun with words.

Lanus FC. Founded 104 years ago.
    I am glad the Brit didn't mention them, if England paid them any attention then we could not possibly afford their up-and-coming talent. It is the tiny advantage we have. We need to find places that for one reason or another are under-scouted. And then we need to a good job of scouting. I think we've got that first part covered. At the end of the season we'll know more about the second.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes05 repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2114 xbhaskarx, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

There isn’t much that needs to be written about how brutal the Quakes were last year. Their 4-21-9 record and the midseason firing of first-year manager Mikael Stahre say more than enough about how bad things got in 2018. Not that Fioranelli can compartmentalize his club’s struggles that easily. For the Swiss GM, who arrived in San Jose ahead of the 2017 season without any prior experience in North American soccer, 2018 was more than just a miserable season. It was a direct indictment, a black mark that fueled the perception held by some of his peers around MLS that Fioranelli is in over his head.

He knew his credibility took a major hit in 2018. He realized that San Jose weren’t looked at as a serious club at the end of last season. He understood he likely won’t get another chance to make this right.
    It's going to take more than Almeyda to "make this right"... dump the dead weight and bring in some top level players!

"San Jose are probably at a talent deficit against almost everybody. It's not pretty."

markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most important lines:

San Jose’s roster probably needs some additional work for them to realistically compete for a playoff place in 2019, but don’t expect much more player movement this winter. The Quakes already have 28 players signed, including a pair of Designated Players in Vako and Chris Wondolowski. Things could change in the summer, but Fioranelli doesn’t expect many transactions in or out of San Jose for the remainder of the winter window.

Almeyda will work with their current pieces, see what he has, and re-evaluate later in 2019.

Looks like the roster is pretty much set! Jesse doesn't expect "many" transactions in or out of the roster. for the rest of the winter window. I guess that could mean Eriksson is still leaving.

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    no more player movement, only two DP's...what the hell is Magnus' status and if he's gone, why wouldn't we be shopping for a real impact DP...oh, right. we are the Earthquakes the mighty, mighty Earthquakes...:(

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    "You might not have noticed many big comments from my end or from any other people inside of the organization, but we’re talking a little bit less and we’re working very hard"

talking a bit less, lol.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    let's be honest, outside the coaching move (potentially) this is your typical, mundane, Fisherball offseason.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8, due time and 2 others repped this.
  19. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    That's what I was afraid of. No DP. Waiting til summer to see what the needs are sounds like the standard line. We spend up to the cap and use the leagues TAM money to our advantage but the owners don't dig too deep into their own pockets (to spend on players at least).

Boysinblue, bobby_guzman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    same old song and dance

bobby_guzman repped this.
  21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Magnus isn't a DP anymore. When we signed him he was announced as 'the highest paid Quakes player ever' and a DP (check out SI's MLS ambition report from last year). Sometime during the summer the DP status went away. When the Players union salary data became available we found out he's only paid 400k (his transfer fee might have made him the most expensive player). How or why he lost his DP status I don't know - but one side effect was that San Jose looked a little more ambitious in SI's ambition report.

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    ahh, thanks for the clarification. our running roster thread has him as a DP and there's been all the back and forth on this. But if he's not a DP and hasn't been one for awhile, failure to bring in a real impact DP after last season has to be seen as a massive failure and absolute confirmation that last season's speculation about Fisher and how he now (finally) cares about what's going on with his south bay soccer team was all pure nonsense.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still have a little time to sign another significant player or two. I'm hoping that we pickup another good player or two. But of course, we could screw the pooch completely.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Boysinblue repped this.
  24. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God I decided not to go for a new STH signup after Almeyda was hired.

This is fcucking bullshit. Blue-collar, humble, low-ambition, cheap, whatever the fcuck you want to call it. So fcucking rotten.

Gonna get trampled by the time winter comes, and then the team will sign some losers abroad just to try and entice STH to renew. Same shit, different day.

25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you talking about? Jesse the Snake Oil Salesman said we're done. That's it. That's the team we're going to bat with.

We are going to get fcucking murdered out there...