The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy with the mic is one of their capos. Duh!

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I understand that supporters' groups were invented in Seattle...

Beerking, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ExtraTime Radio: Tata vs. Armas = MLS meme + #22U22 ballot reveal
    • 28:14 - Stejskal: State of coaching turnover in MLS

In the brief discussion of the Quakes' coaching search, Sam Stejskal states that Jesse Fioranelli's contract is only through the 2019 season.

Sounds like Jesse was given a three year contract and he'll be here for at least one more year with a new (the fifth of his short tenure) coach, and that signing a coach (which would be to a multi-year contract obviously) could be problematic given that the GM hiring him only has one year left on his, and if there's a new GM in 2020 they would likely want their own coach (not the first time the GM and coach contracts being misaligned has created this situation, see Jesse vs Dom).

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is signing a coach for just one season really that difficult a prospect? I suppose it is, but if Fioranelli is doing his job right, he should be looking for the coach he wants long term, regardless of what happens with his contract. The coach that they hire (probably only for a two year contract, anyway) can always be fired again so you offer whatever contract is considered standard and Fox or Fisher can realign everything if they decide to get rid of Fioranelli.

It's a pain, but I wouldn't make too much of it. I'm not expecting much from the current coaching search, anyway.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What coach would you want that would be willing to take just a one year contract?
    Maybe some guy from college or USL who has no other other shot at a MLS job, but that's about it. But then don't complain when he's not successful at the MLS level, you get what you pay for.

Probably a three year contract. That seems pretty standard throughout MLS and it's likely that's what Stahre got.

So in 2020 the Quakes would be paying 1) Stahre (in the final year of his three year contract) 2) Stahre's fired replacement (in the second year of his three year contract) AND 3) the new GM's coaching hire??

Is that a wise use of money for a team with limited resources?
    Even if it was, what about the Earthquakes makes you think they're willing to spend that much money on coaches (2/3 no longer with the team)?

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We aren't talking about a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, and I would be very surprised if Stahre didn't get a cash payout for the remainder of his contract. That money isn't carrying over all the way to 2020. It's spent and gone.

It's wiser to cut losses earlier rather than later. If throwing away a million bucks on an awful coach lets you hire a good one, improve the on-field product and get more fans through the gates for more revenue, then yes, it is a wise use of the money compared to hanging on to a guy simply because you already have money wrapped up in him. I know this about coaches and not players, but nobody wants to be the Anaheim Angels with an Albert Pujols sized anchor tied around their neck.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You both make cogent points, however, I think that Fisher will be loathe to pay for multiple GMs and multiple coaches (the HC's and at least one of their assistants, each).

This is part of the reason that I think (wild guess here, I could be totally wrong) that Fox will sack Jesse at the end of the season. Then he gets to hire a new GM and coach combo at the same time, or perhaps, even hire a coach who is also the GM. It would both save money, and help the team to land a better coach.

Mind you, I'm not necessarily advocating this, I just think it's a real likelihood.

Any coach that we hire is going to ask for as much control as they can get. And he'll want a three year contract. So a coach who is also GM makes sense. Or failing that, a new coach and new GM, both with MLS experience because our Euro experiment has failed on every level.

If we tried to hire a hea coach for one season, we'd have to offer him a ton of money and throw in a bunch of insentives to get anyone to bite. No, it makes more sense to hire either a new coach and a new GM (maybe Chris Leitch) at the same time. We could hire two new guys (and a new assistant and new GK coach) or we could hire a a combination new coach and GM. It's less money, and it probably gets us a better coach.

Again, I'm just guessing here, but I think this a likely option.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse speaks! This from the SJMurky News.

I like what he says, and with super coach coming on board, maybe we can pull ourselves together.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

MtnGardener, Beckham7 and nihon2000 repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If he wants redemption in my eyes, he’d hire Hugo Perez as Academy director and let him prepare our youth players to play for Almeyda. If Almeyda gets a national team gig, he would want to take his assistants with him and Hugo could become the next head coach of SJ and continue what Almeyda started. IT.WOULD.BE.PERFECT

10. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s see if the Quakes can pull in more Non-English speaking fans.
    IMO the FO should be embarrassed for not providing English translation services when announcing their new head coach. Middle finger to all the English speaking STHers.

11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, what? The Quakes had a translator at the press conference.

12. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Jed Mettee was sitting to the right of Almeyda and translating questions and answers. The press was reminded that all questions should be in English. If you watched from he beginning, it was mentioned that there would be a portion of the press conference following the English Q & A in deference to the Spanish TV folks where questions and answers would be exclusively in Spanish. I felt zero concern or felt any "middle finger" insult.

14. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Still in shock over the amazing news that I had to log in and say to say well done Jesse!

What other tricks do you have in your magic hat...

15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cognitive Dominance !!!

Translation for our English-speaking fans forthcoming soon. :)

bobby_guzman repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only until 2019? Even Doyle had a 9 year deal...

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is stolen from the Murky News.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/08/san-jose-earthquakes-hire-big-time-coach/

Again, I like what Jesse says:
    • Plenty of Latin American players in MLS. (Many of whom are the league stars!!)
    • So we scored a Latin American coach so we can get some of that goodness for us!!
    • Everyone in the organization is hurting from this season.
    • We absolutely need to do better next season.
    Those are all the things I want to hear from our GM. Now, he and the rest of the organization really need to execute on this bigger, better vision of our team, but I can at least feel like we're making progress.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

NedZ, SeaJayBee, Sactown Soccer and 2 others repped this.
  19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1719 NedZ, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    When some of the San Jose front office people met with Boca Juniors they were received politely and some discussions were held, but the unstated message was "You are the 'Earthquakes'? Who is that?". Now, with the Almeyda hiring, that has has immediately and entirely reversed.

I am still in the 'in Jesse We Trust" camp. I think 2018 was an awful one-year delay in terms of where we wanted or expected to be, but the Almeyda hiring gets us back on the strategic path inaugurated by the GM.

lazlo325, markmcf8, Beckham7 and 3 others repped this.
  20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Empty platitudes from a failed GM aren't going to fix this trainwreck.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to believe in Jesse.

I want to think that hiring Almeyda shows intent and commitment by our FO and ownership.

But I've been burned a lot by this team. We made the playoffs in '10, had a good post season run, then completely screwed up the '11 season. Just completely screwed the pooch.

We made the playoffs in '12, then collapsed in '13.

We made the playoffs in '17, then turned in an epic failure in '18.

See a patern there? This club — since '08 — have followed every playoff appearance with a disaster of a season. We always find a way to implode. Always.

So, I want to see a "good" season in '19, followed by another "good" season in '20 before I'll believe that we've actually turned a corner.

No more patience, no more trust. Show me the improvement.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Quakes05 and davez repped this.
  22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my post just after yours.

They are saying the right things.
    They hired a real coach.

Now they need to execute.

Go Quakes!!
    Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Jesse needs to hire the right Youth Academy Director before I’m convinced that the Quakes are committed to sustained excellence.

I want to see Hugo Perez in that role so we have someone with connections and talent scouting ability to stock the team with future players that will be able to possess the ball under pressure and create attacking sequences through passes on the ground. Since the Quakes have hired Almeyda, let’s build out a pipeline of quality players that can excel in his system for years to come. It’s time to fill in the roster with homegrown contracts that free up cap space.

tenfourteen and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your sentiment. I also think that Paul Holocher is a perfectly good academy director. Our academy teams have been doing well, and Paul has shown a willingness to persue new strategies and tactics. I'm pretty sure he'll do whatever Almeyda wants.

And if not, Paul will get the sack.

I'm really not worried about the academy right now. All of our teams are doing well.

The first team however, blows chunks.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

bsman repped this.
  25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Holocher left to become the academy director for the Houston Dynamo a few months ago.

xbhaskarx repped this.