The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is a small thing (as in, if we were at the top of the West and not in the league cellar it wouldn't piss me off nearly as much), but I just noticed that Jesse's tagline on Twitter is this: "Let's redefine football (not soccer ;-)"

I get that it's tongue in cheek, but it does nothing to hide his "euro snobbery". To use less abrasive terminology for the Jesse apologists: it's another indictor that he is dismissive of American Soccer, with his euro transfer busts and lack of intra-league trading being the prime example.

mjlee22, Beerking, DotMPP and 2 others repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Oh we're redefining it - that's for sure.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tweeted at Jesse for the first time. Have no idea if he will see it tho.

1018480379240464385 is not a valid tweet id

davez, Sactown Soccer and Beerking repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, another good question!

Beerking repped this.
  5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why link Matt Doyle's fake news regarding Godoy?

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what fake news? you mean trying to avoid the 2nd yellow? That was what I thought Stahre was doing at the time. Did Matt Doyle say that also?

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Godoy came out because he wasn't playing, (whether it was attitude or injury) Doyle first tweeted he was subbed and wasn't even injured. Hard to get a second yellow when you are hardly playing.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

To me, it looked like he was head-hunting. I'm with @mjlee22 on this one.

Beerking repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, again, if you were to watch his play leading up to his substitution you would see that he wasn't even trying hard enough to "head-hunt". Any second yellow would have happened because of laziness, most likely pulling back an Impact that ran past him.

10. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=3567085

ESPN slamming the Quakes FO as dysfunctional. I love it! This is a major media outlet really putting the heat on Fioranelli, ultimately. Even Fischer can't ignore this and hopefully it leads to a complete house cleaning.

Beerking, falvo and mjlee22 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Alejandro Moreno has repeatedly slammed MLS for trying to move the Crew, yet the entire MLS ownership (including Fisher) have managed to ignore him for months now. I think you overstate the significance of this video.

12. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    and it is soccer, not football. Thank you for posting I didn't know that was his tagline.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Main stream sports fans notice or care about soccer. The only reason why Fisher gets away with running a crap team is because most sports fans , especially in the Bay Area , can care less about MLS or the Quakes..

Beerking repped this.
  14. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking, mjlee22 and Socarchist repped this.
  15. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1115 Socarchist, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Still listening. The knives are out for Fioranelli. And rightfully so.

Edit: I would rate this as a "must listen." I avoid podcasts because I strongly prefer to read, and audio stuff tends to take a long time. However, these guys are providing an excellent analysis and see clearly through the bullshit long being dished out to us.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is a good question. The use of international slots has never been a high point for San Jose, but they've made some huge blunders lately. Qwiberg was a huge mistake, obviously, but I can't really think of any international players that the team couldn't do without aside from Hoesen. That's not a good thing.

bsman repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening now. Herc and Max rip Stahre for subbing Alashe out, but, there is no mention of Alashe being subbed because of his injury. I understand what they are saying regarding the humiliation of a sub being subbed, but if the sub gets injured it's a totally different story.

18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several factual errors. Criticizing the Quakes over the Marvell Wynne situation, when Wynne says the opposite. Says the Quakes have only scored 12 goals when they have scored 29. Says Vako has only scored 2 goals when he has scored 4.
    The people that post here are much more informed and knowledgeable about the the team than these two guys.

DotMPP, Beckham7 and don gagliardi repped this.
  19. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pure speculation on my part....

I do think Fatai picked up a little strain. I thought I saw it while watching the game. But maybe they thought it was minor...something he could play with, then abruptly decided against that decision, due to him being potential trade bait and not wanting to risk a worse injury that would surely put the kibosh on a trade. He is out of contract after this season. If they don't value him going forward they lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

The FO can't state that scenario as a reason they abruptly changed course...never happen, so they concoct the incredibly lame, we needed to give Ockford more time to get ready.

I believe the flap Fatai and trainer had with Stahre was they honestly believed the decision had been made to allow Fatai to continue...with I'm assuming the trainer's okay. I think that's why the trainer is also barking at Stahre...because he didn't follow his recommendation.

I think Fatai is just upset he's not being allowed to continue. Looks like he's saying I'm fine...I'm freaking fine to continue.

I think the whole thing was based on his current condition as it related to his trade value.

DotMPP and Socarchist repped this.
  20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is my impression that Herculez Gomez is continuing a theme he has expressed before on other topics. IMO he is a big believer that Europeans (players, coaches, execs) who come to MLS (and thus take soccer jobs from Americans) assume they know best and their methods will be successful here, but in his opinion they don't and they aren't. I am not saying he is right or wrong, I'm just saying that I think that is the frame he is working in with this criticism of Jesse and his "Roma Way" plans. So even if he and Max have some details wrong (like the number of Vako goals) he would still maintain the general thrust of his remarks are correct.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure about the trade value angle. Seems too complex for the moment. However, this episode exposes Stahre's multi-faceted incompetence. He doesn't know if Alashe is hurt? He knows, but doesn't have Ockford warmed up? Certainly, he isn't delegating game management properly.

I do agree with your guess about the interaction between the trainer and Stahre.

Whatever the truth, Stahre could have left Alashe off the 2nd half lineup without putting him on the field and then subbing him out so publicly and humiliatingly.

Stahre was never a professional player, which is not a prerequisite for coaching, but it shows in this instance where he is so disrespectful of Alashe. All the other players notice. I'm sure of that.

markmcf8 and DasMoots repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, and it was just a bit over the top. I think Herc called the Quakes the worst franchise in all of sports or all of American sports or something like that. I mean, come on, we've already won more games than the Cleveland Browns. :) And....Max Bretos....enough said.

Anyway, one thing I did agree with Herc about - and this became kind of his central tenet by the end: the Quakes lack an identity. I've been harping on that for a while, and still holding out hope that Jesse's going to do define it. It needs to be something tangible and easy to digest for the fans though, at some level. It can't only be something abstract. I mean it can abstract at some level, but that needs to be translatable into something more easily digestible. This is where the technical philosophy kind of meets the marketing of the cluib.

xbhaskarx and bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG. This is so right on.

Herc Gomez
    “Mika Stahre. What he did goes beyond the moral ethics that are the code of conduct on a soccer field between a player, coach, that trust that one must have. This speaks to a greater issue at hand. This is frustration boiling over. ...This is a brown emoji show.”

Max Bretos
    “It is boiling over at SJ. It’s really bad. It’s as bad as I’ve seen from any team in many years. They’ve bottomed out.”

Herc Gomez
    “Jesse Fioranelli. This is a guy who was brought in to change things. He’s definitely changed it. They are the worst team I have seen in awhile. San Jose are the worst sporting franchise on the face of this earth. They are the new Cleveland Browns.”

Max Bretos
    “This is a broken team.”

Herc Gomez
    “If I’m a SJ fan, why should I go out & support my team? Tell me, why should I spend my hard-earned money on a ticket to support this team? Why? If you’re a SJ fan, let us know. Give us one reason why.”

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herc asked us Quakes fans to comment, but I didn't see a place to leave a comment. That seemed odd, or maybe I'm just not used to how it works on ESPN?

I think they were largely correct in their assessment.

On the style issue, it's just that we don't have a style or identity, it's that we don't have a discernible plan. I've no idea what Stahre wants to implement. From the looks of it, he thinks that "playing direct," which is to say Domball, is a great idea. It's freaking not. We play really ugly futbol, and we lose most of our games while we're doing it. There is an appalling lack of cohesion and coordination with our team. And we still make silly mistakes that are easily corrected. But we haven't corrected crap.

We have regressed since last season. There's no denying it. Stahre should have been fired weeks ago. If Jesse won't pull the trigger, then he should be sacked too.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

davez, Socarchist and bobby_guzman repped this.
  25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we support our team through thick or thin.

We don't turn our back on our team when things are bleak.

As San Jose fans, that's our identity!

SJTillIDie, NedZ, DotMPP and 2 others repped this.