The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks for posting this article. This passage bugs me:

"There was a need to re-build the roster, shed bad contracts, shed bad players, and eliminate toxic attitudes (of which there was definitely a glaring one, I will let you guess who)."

Just tell us, man. Is the author scared of losing access to the team or something?

As a reader, I start guessing. Is it Dawkins? Is it Bernardez? Someone else? Maybe not even a player, but a coach (Kinnear?). The author is unfair to the departed players and much too forgiving of Faultanelli, who rebuilt the roster into a worse one than when he arrived based on results.

ant0n and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess it was Bingham.

ant0n, DotMPP, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  3. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In the Tom Fox interview (https://postimg.cc/gallery/2riegchfg/ ) Robert Jonas mentioned that at the end of last season Jesse discussed his four year plan (so I assume that means 2017-2020) and that last year's playoff appearance, (considering the circumstances) may have been almost an overachievement. That four-year plan and the Fox interview add some context to Jesse's statement at the STH event when he said he regrets not having addressed his 2018 expectations better earlier this season.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think a four year plan is good. Seems like about the right amount of time to try to affect change that is going to be more durable. But I think Jesse over-estimated the current squad. I say this just based on his "You don't know how good you are yet" speech to the team after the NYCFC game. I mean in hindsight it probably should have been "You don't know how poor you are yet", but 1) I don't think Jesse believed that and 2) it does not make a very motivating post-game speech :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the only interesting point is the article is whether or not Russell would get a chance in the event Stahre gets fired. I would have happily accepted Russell prior to Stahre's hire, and I'm sad they didn't hire him instead. At least with Russell we would know that he's had success at some level with regard to putting an attractive team on the field, and could hypothetically replicate that at a level up. Stahre is just a dullard who uses "flexibility" as an excuse for a lack of ideas.

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also found his comment on Avaya interesting. Wonder what he doesn't like about it. I guess we will see.

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of Ian Russel, this summarizes my feelings really well; I'd rather give things to Leach rather than Ian though I'd much rather find a coach that knows how to motivate players and has been successful in a major league that has a style of ball control.

We'll likely lose every game between now and the Stanford game... best case I think looks like this:

@Portand = L
    LAFC = L
    NE Revs = T
    @RSL = L

I do wonder how much pressure there will be to fire Stahre when we lose at Stanford. How could he possibly survive?

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fox mentioned a few things Jesse wanted to implement which I have wanted as well. Play from the back, play the ball on the ground, find and develop skilled players. He also said that they had successfully made some training changes which had substantially reduced the team's number of soft tissue injuries (a subject EQ BigSoccer members have posted about for quite a while). So I think the plan makes sense.

Fox pointed out that not only did the team have something like 22 new faces out of 29, but that almost the entire coaching staff had changed as well. So the question isn't so much the plan as it is the hiring of the right coaches and the right players who can interact with each other to implement the plan within an MLS and local ownership environment.

Jazzy is likely right that JF over-estimated the squad, but I think most fans had even higher expectations. I know I did.

When I saw this year's lineup on paper, I was very pleased. I thought Flo and Hoesen were going to play in their natural positions, which would be an improvement over last year's .500 team. With Hoesen there, I thought Wondo would be able to be marked less and score more. With Hyka, Vako, and Magnus, I thought there could be skilled combination with the ball on the ground.

Vako seemed to have finally integrated into the team and his stats seemed to promise that this year would be better. I didn't assume Magnus would be a league-leading scorer, but at least it was a guy who could shoot accurately and would bring some supplemental scoring from the midfield to the team.

I thought that a choice between Godoy and Flo would be better than a Godoy-Ceren menu. Lima had great potential. I thought the baby bull Cummings and the tall Quintana would help us in the box and stop other teams from dominating in the air.

We hadn't necessarily filled out all of the positions or depth with top talent, but I thought we certainly had enough for playoffs. It seemed we had the skill to now "play the ball on the ground" and to score goals.

Even the salary distribution was good. Instead of a couple of high-paid DPs who meant we had to go cheap on many other positions, we probably had about 7 of the 11 positions at about half-a million dollars or more. Lima didn't cost as much but was a good player. So I thought having a team of well-paid and approximately equally-skilled players meant a lot of good passing and consistent play.

What had been a struggle to get to 6th last year seemed like a jumping off place for this year. Of course,the lineup I expected to see is the one lineup I never did see this year: Hoesen and Wondo up front, Hyka, Vako, Magnus, Flo in the midfield, Qwiberg, Cummings, Quintana, Lima in the back.

10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1010 NedZ, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Jeff Carlisle has a very interesting article about the USMNT:

http://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/s...ight-some-say-why-team-qualify-2018-world-cup

There were some passages in the article which made me think about the 2018 EQ:

...Klinsmann's explanations of tactical instructions often left players unsure of what he wanted. One source indicated that sometimes Klinsmann's expectations of what his team was capable of understanding in terms of tactics were higher than reality.

"Jurgen's message was very confusing," said another source who asked not to be identified. "We didn't even know what the message was most of the time. I'll be honest with you: It was crazy.”...

..."I actually thought Arena did a great job of eradicating players that weren't bought in [to the team]," U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard said. "He did a great job of coming in from day one, speaking to people he knew to get a pulse of the team.”…

...Granted, chemistry is a vague term that often gets thrown out to explain why a team might be underperforming. But Howard was direct with his definition.

"Chemistry for me is about commitment," he said. "It's not about personalities. I think when people think about team chemistry, it's like one big powwow and everyone loves each other and hangs out. Chemistry is having one direct message from the manager -- 'This is the style we're going to play. This is what I expect of you as a player' -- and then going out and performing every single day.”...

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Team chemistry is a lot more than having one direct message from the manager.

By the way, ran into Jeff Carlisle at a recent game at Avaya.

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I first met Jeff at a Quakes practice which was held at Valley Christian High School many years ago. I believe he was related or connected to Nick Arellano of the old Soccer Magic (and now Real San Jose). I think Jeff was exposed to real San Jose grassroots local fans through Nick (who was an exemplar of that). He also covered the City Council meetings where SSV had organized fan turnout. Super nice guy and I always thought his Quakes coverage was very good, so I was pleased to see him writing for ESPN.

Don wrote:
    "Team chemistry is a lot more than having one direct message from the manager."
    I agree.

bobby_guzman and don gagliardi repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much pressure Stahre will feel to resign?

At what point do you admit failure?

Be honest with yourself Mika, you don't have what it takes to coach in this league.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  14. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingham

alexiskool1991 and Beerking repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Zero.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (That's zero pressure to resign.)

I kind of think that Stahre will feel that pressure. What's he's doing isn't working. He's "adjustments" are just tinkering around the edges, he's not really changing the way we play. We continue to make the same stupid mistakes over and over, why has he not corrected those?

In Europe, he'd be thinking about resigning, and although he's not in Europe, he's got to be thinking it, and how much more comfortable he'd be back in Sweden.

But probably he won't resign until he either gets fired, or is given the choice to quit or be fired.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Blank Stahre!!

- Mark

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is how easy Jesse has it here as opposed to staying in Rome......

Here is a picture from June 1995 when Lazio's tifosi protested the the club (almost forcing owner Sergio Cragnotti into selling the club) about not wanting to sell their star striker Beppe Signori to Parma.

[​IMG]

Headline reads the "End of the World"....

[​IMG]

Here it says Calisto Tanzi's (Parma's owner who is curently in jail for fraud) that he is forgetting about the deal and that Sergio Cragnotti (Lazio's owner) wants to sell the club because the deal fell through....

[​IMG]

18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I'm sure he feels the heat, even if he believes his job isn't in jeopardy (and it very likely is not). I mean he is even getting roasted pretty good in the MLS media (mlssoccer, etc.).

And in fact I think the "heat" is causing him to do the wrong things. He is grasping onto his veteran players with dear life when he should instead be loosening his grip and starting to work in more minutes for other players. This will have multiple benefits: create more competition, give the veterans some rest, improve overall team morale (yes, there's a chance you too could play!), and develop younger players, making the team better and better as each game goes by.

He should be trying to settle on a style of play and take the short term lumps until it improves rather than flitting about from one style to the next game to game. It's like the plane is going down and he is madly pulling at the controls in wild and random ways instead of taking a little time to assess the situation and then calmly make the right corrections.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jesse , mi dispiace ma devi andare VIA PRESTO!

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

bobby_guzman and John Jussen repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Considering he broke a long term contract to come coach in San Jose, which Swedish team would be stupid enough to take him back? I fear we're stuck with him for a while.

Beerking, RocktheCasbah4 and bsman repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Aside from Fioranelli and Mikael Stahre knowing how things work in MLS or not, our players are really below average. Whether the GM and coach are to blame for this roster is another story but even though we have some spurts of good plays overall, the Quakes are very inconsistent and bad , making too many costly mistakes.

Lima is young and an up and coming player and has a future but he still has a lot to learn. Wondo is playing with experience and memory and still shows flashes of his former self but he is clearly past his prime. Vako is overpaid and overrated and the only consistent players that I see who are really above everyone else's level are maybe Florian Jungwirth and Danny Hoesen.

23. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good point, I forgot how pissed his club was when he did that. What an idiot.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Before the Internet came out, I remember reading Nick Arellano's old Soccer Magic weekly newspaper...... I recall that was the only place to get the local soccer news….

I kind of miss those days......

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sure, the players certainly have issues, but it's Fioranelli's responsible for signing those players, and Stahre could get more out of the guys he has.

Kinnear is not a good coach, but he got more out of the same or less, and we rightly complained that he wasn't good enough either.

The players are who they are. I am at the point of having empathy for the guys who are in over their head. They want to play for an MLS team. It's not their fault that they aren't at that quality.

I have absolutely no empathy for executives and managers who clearly don't know what they're doing.

bobby_guzman, markmcf8 and Socarchist repped this.