The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The president is gone or shifted to another sports club and this guy Fox is new and knows nothing about the club, the coach or the players. All fingers point to the one man who owns the club and who has been there since 2008 and has never said a word about the franchise. He is or should very well be directly responsible for this club! Just like any other sports owner on earth, I don't see how or why he can't be at fault for a failed club.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also seems like every year at mid-season we are told "a quick fix is not likely."
    And yes, i think they always start the renewal push after the halfway point, i.e. the all-star game.

3. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone refresh my memory - in the last 10 years have we ever had a season that was turned around by one or more acquisitions mid-season? I.e., that made us a better team or significantly changed our trajectory that season?
    Would that be the Geovanni year? (I forget how to spell his name)

4. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The coaching change in June, 2013 turned around that season. I am looking forward to twatter rumors about SJ's new coach.

A Georgian guy owned by a Dutch team loaned out for several years to a Polish team doesn't seem groundbreaking, even if I hope he helps (a lot).

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The pre-Huckerby 2008 Earthquakes were incredibly worse than the post-Huckerby 2008 Quakes

don gagliardi, JohnWP and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #506 JazzyJ, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    That is absolutely true. There were a few other solid additions that year (Lima, AA), but Hucks immediately transformed the team.

If they are going to insist that they get YAAMTIPOW (Yet Another Attacking Midfielder That Is Played On the Wing), then it should be that kind of player - a Hucksian player. A player who will take on the defenders virtually ever time they get the ball, and they are pretty successful with it. Hyka doesn't really do it - he is good if he has some space, same with Tommy and Dawkins. Salinas tries most of the time, but final ball is poor. Same with Cato.

nihon2000, mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a whole bevy of you who blame the owners.

Our owners are very hands off, this isn't Europe and you need to stop applying that model of thinking to our club and MLS. Fisher never speaks to anyone, so the fact that we haven't heard from him is no big deal. If he is talking to Jesse and Tom behind the scenes, we aren't going to hear of it. He is a big soccer fan, so chances are, he's pissed that we suck. Wolff is no longer the "Managing Partner" so I think we will less patience from ownership going forward. Of course, our website says that Keith Wolff is now Managing Partner, so maybe he has more say in the organization than Fisher?

In any case, when your argument is to blame ownership, you have no hope of the club improving until we get new owners. If that's the case, it's time to dial back our emotional commitment to the club because an ownership change is probably decades off in the future.

So I prefer to think that the president, GM, and coaches can make a difference, because if I have to depend on ownership, I might as well start drinking heavily right now.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

tenfourteen, SeaJayBee and DotMPP repped this.
  8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But did Huckerby and Lima join mid-season? I can't recall.

9. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Not possible. I asked Jesse about this at the Tom Fox "introduction" press conference. Since the transfer window does not open until July 10th, we will not see the player available for us until July 11th at the soonest.

But I do expect an announcement this month.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, IIRC mid-season additions were Hucks, Lima, Arturo Alvarez, and yes, Scott Sealy, who actually played decently that year.

don gagliardi, markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #511 falvo, Jun 19, 2017
    Forget about Europe. If fans can blame , Charlie Finley, Bob Lurie ,Chris Cohan , Al Davis, Jed York , Sharks owners (whomever they are), I don't see why we can't blame John J. Fisher.

From what I hear, he calls the shots and if that is the case, he should be directly blamed or at the very least take responsibility for a 7 out of 9 year losing record.

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for setting me straight on that...I was mistaken thinking window opened July 1st....

13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, i did not recall at all getting 4 new players mid-season. And is that the only year that worked? Those signings would have been a Yallop-Doyle collaboration? I remember Hucks' being a Yallop discovery/connection, but don't remember how the other 3 came our way.

Anyhow, i guess if it worked for us once or twice out of 9-10 years, then maybe we have a 20% chance or track record that new signings could change our season's trajectory.

Otherwise, i had this learned behavior / belief system that mid-season changes only help us for next season (assuming the new signings stick around for more than the second half of the season). So I never get excited about the transfer windows...

14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wish Quakes could find a 28-year-old healthy "Huckerby" type player....:ROFLMAO:

15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about free transfers? According to transfermarkt his contract is up June 30th.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm really wondering who they have in mind? I have a feeling he will be from Europe but from where?

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hadn't heard of him, but looks pretty good. He is a shorter guy, but a little more of a stocky build than someone like Hyka. He has a little bit of MPG in him in terms of lower center of gravity, but not as short, and looks faster, and less apt to go down. Seems to like to attack with the ball at his feet, which is good - they need someone who will do it under pressure. Hyka, TT, Dawkins tend to attack only when they have some space. Salinas and Cato will try to take people on but with varying results, either due to losing it or poor final ball.

This guy scores a lot more than he assists, which is also good. Quakes need more scorers.

18. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No one perfected that move like Scott Sealy did. Extend your butt to back into the defender to gain some space and then trap the ball with your tummy.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly the move I was thinking of when I thought of Scott Sealy in 2008. :). They hit lots of passes to him that way, where he'd run back towards midfield, receive the ball safely, because his touch wasn't that good, and hold off the defender with that butt extension move. For some reason didn't see it much in his limited time after that season.

20. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was loaned out for several MONTHS not years and not just to any Polish club, but to Legia Warsaw which is the best team out there and had decent performances in UCL

don gagliardi repped this.
  21. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am sure billionaire Fisher will lose sleep over a handful of online posters blaming him for the results of a team most Bay Area residents never heard of

onemormor, SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #522 don gagliardi, Jun 19, 2017
    As I recall, Lew Wolff once said publicly he doesn't give a damn what the fans think. What else does ownership need to say? :)

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Haven't I been saying that you go to games to drink with friends and that results of any kind are a bonus? :)

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A lot more than that. This statement was made 8 or 9 years ago.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm pretty sure it reflects current sentiments. :)