The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2701 falvo, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    So you are saying myself and all Quakes fans are supposed to be happy and satisfied that Fisher made these statements after 13 years? You can honestly say you are happy about this?
    He will go ecstatic when Fisher makes is next 4 statements in 2033!

Beerking and Quakes05 repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Fisher is a complete stranger to Quakes fans. all we know is that he sets the impossible boundaries for the team to attempt to operate within. each year he shows less and less hunger to compete culminating in the current off season which is the loudest statement yet of Fishers' utter indifference.

not one new starter. unbelievable.

bsman, Beerking and falvo repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Aside from that, he still hasn't said anything. I mean other than Tom Fox is gone and Fioranelli is staying. I still have yet read how he feels about the players, the club or he league , for that matter.

Beerking repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that would be nice, and since he is 100% in the drivers seat...what he plans to do about all the failure we've had to endure in San Jose since he arrived on the scene.

Beerking repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I could care less if Fisher talks to the press or not. Lew Wolff made plenty of comments to the press when he was a co-owner. Did that satisfy you at the time? Did anything Lew said make you happier to be a Quake's fan?

Boysinblue and JazzyJ repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2706 falvo, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    No because Lew didn't say anything either other than double talk.

Either way, unlike you , like every other fan around the world, of course I want my clubs owner to talk about our club, players and state of the team.

To go back to you initial point, no I am not satisfied and actually "can care less" that he made those four sentences because he still has not said anything.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    a statement of intent and willingness to invest to succeed (from the man who absolutely and completely controls this teams destiny) would be nice. although honestly, nobody would believe it, we sailed past the "show me the money" stage years and years ago...the only thing that will begin to turn things around in SJ will be the quality of the new player signings...and, of course, there are no new player signings. so here we are, withering on the vine.

markmcf8 and falvo repped this.
  8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I mean, the alternative for most of those academy kids is they don't have a pro career at all. If they want to play pro soccer bad enough, MLS is likely as good as it gets for the vast majority. Not everyone has the connections that Reyna has.

9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Nor the talent. Reports coming out of Dortmund are that he's moving up to the senior team for the remainder of the season. He'd be a lock starter for Quakes.

I have yet to see any Quakes academy player close to be a starter at 19 years old.

bsman repped this.
  10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    There is no player in the academy like Gio Reyna. On the other hand, every single homegrown player that the Quakes have signed does have at least some national team experience.

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Perhaps he is a better player, just pointing out that nepotism gives any player the upper hand in getting opportunities, regardless of talent level. Americans aren't typically in high demand as players, and largely for pretty good reason. Hence why I don't see Fioranelli's plan really becoming much of anything.

Granted, a team, league, and country trying to increase the quality of its players has to start somewhere, and there may be a time when Americans are considered on par with prospects from other parts of the world. I don't see that happening by the time Fioranelli leaves the Quakes, however.

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I hope you are wrong because I’m pretty sure he just signed a 3 year extension. Fisher is invested in this not only with his executive staff but also the entire coaching staff. It seems like Fisher tested this for a year and judging by the recent news of the 4 people in charge of it all getting extensions at the same time, he is all in on the plan now. It looks like it aligns with how he runs the Oakland As.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Believe me, I hope I'm wrong, too. But as I explained before, I think the extensions are more symptoms of Fisher's inability to find the right guys to run his team, and his willingness to stick with what he's got regardless of the results or evidence that he's made the wrong decision.

He inherited all of the operating staff of the A's from the previous owner and he's let Beane run the show the entire time. I would be willing to bet Fisher makes almost no decisions with the A's at all other that signing or not signing checks. He appears to operate the Quakes in the same way, except the difference is he's had very bad staff that weren't able to achieve results. What I've seen from Fioranelli so far has not impressed me, though I'm still plenty willing to be convinced.

The typical argument against that viewpoint is that Fisher doesn't invest enough, and while I empathize with that argument and want Fisher to put all him money in the Quakes, ultimately it's up to his staff to convince him to invest where they think it will benefit the team. If they aren't able to do so, that's a significant failing on their part. It's an uphill battle in most cases, I'm sure, but it is part of his job. The other part is getting the best results out of what he's got to work with, and I'm pretty confident Fioranelli has failed, there, too.

mjlee22, bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Fox is out, and he’s not being replaced, and Jared, Jed, and Ian are going to split his duties. It’s possible that one of them will be named El Presidente in the future. In any event, these re-signings, and “restructuring” is really: “We’re just going to do without a President for now.”

Fisher is pleased with the direction of the team, and hey, we were much better in ‘19. I honestly don’t want Matias or Jesse to go anywhere right now. I don’t want a restructure and rebuild and remaking of the team. We need to carry on with a single plan for a bit and build on our improvements from last season.

Now my issue with the club is that we aren’t signing new players. I think we need at least three new starters, maybe four. (CB, LB, CM, LM) But I don’t knock Fisher’s “stay the course” announcement. That’s fine, but we need to put more money into the machine, rather than just try harder.

I’m confident that Jesse and Matias have the necessary skills to bring this club to the top of the table, what I’m not confident of, and in fact despair about, is Fisher’s willingness to give them the resources they need to be successful.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can't possibly upvote this enough. The idea that Fisher is in any way responsible for the A's successes is beyond ludicrous.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure anyone is making the argument he's responsible. I'm just pointing out that a contract extension is probably not the best indicator of Fioranelli's quality as a GM given the Quake's track record.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the real questions about Jesse’s quality are:
    “Did he make a good hire with Stahre?” No.
    “Should he have known that Stahre would be a bad coach?” Probably also no.
    “Did he hire the guys that Stahre wanted?” Yes he did.
    “Did he make a good decision by sacking Stahre and bringing in Matias?” Emphatically yes.
    (Note that this required getting Fisher to agree to eat Stahre’s salary, his staff’s salary, and then pay for a new, not cheap coach. That took some wrangling, I’m sure.)
    “Having hired Matias, has Jesse signed the guys that Matias wants?” Looks like yes.

On the whole, I think Jesse is a good guy and a decent GM. He had a learning curve when he first got here. He did not understand that the quality of play and player in MLS is higher than most second divisions in Europe and some first divisions (see Sweden, first division). He made some blunders, but he’s recovering from those. I bet that the other front office staff get along with him too. Which is important, especially when you’re running a lean ship.

I think that extending Jesse makes sense. He gets on with Matias, and Matias came here partly because of Jesse. So, dismissing Jesse now isn’t the best of ideas.

I’m OK with Fisher keeping both Jesse and Matias. I’m not nearly so cool with him not replacing El Presidente. I’m seriously peed that he hasn’t spent more money on new players.

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

Boysinblue, NedZ and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I could quibble with some aspects of your lengthy post, but I repped it instead for being a breath of fresh air in its dispassionate analysis. That's where this board has arrived. "Angry" Mark has staked out the level-headed center. :)

markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't necessarily consider these positives. Fioranelli is supposed to be driving the effort to identify MLS quality talent that the team can afford. If all he's doing is going to the coach and asking them who they want, and then going out to try to sign those guys, then he has very, very little value as the head of the organization.

That isn't to say you don't take input from your coach and what have you, but it has to be a top down effort in that regard. Almeyda's job is to coach. If he has to do the leg work on suggesting all the players, that's time he isn't spending coaching, in which case, it's largely wasted.

To Almeyda's credit, he seems to think he can get results almost regardless of what players he has. He comes across that way publicly, at least. He might not realistically believe it, but so long as he practices it, it doesn't necessarily matter that much.

I just want more out of Fioranelli, something tangible to where we can clearly trace a line between his hire and an increase in the team's success. Hasn't happened so far.

mjlee22, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, we did suck less in 2019 than we did in 2018.

[​IMG]

markmcf8 and hc897 repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wasn't this supposed to be Fioranelli's make or break year? I am suprosed they signed him on again.....

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wasn't Fisher supposed to be incommunicado? :)

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Incommunicado? I think I had that À la carte last night! ;)

Did Fisher speak yet? :thumbsup:

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes