The Official Jahmir Hyka thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 3, 2017.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In Dom speak there is a chasm between really good and help us.

I remain cautiously optimistic he will be the guy delivering the timely ball to Wondo in threatening places. Hopefully he'll find him 3-4 times a game and we can see Wondo return to having multiple goal games now and then.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, he was saying "He's going to help us" when they signed Innocent, that is even before he came to camp. So, especially in the that context of hyping a new signing, it is significant praise. I mean if you don't think that your highest ever paid DP is "really good" then you shouldn't be signing him, and Dom made it clear that they were all in on Innocent.

3. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, he is.

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    "He has featured at Luzern for over five seasons, scoring 29 goals and adding 20 assists."

Or 6 goals and 4 assists per season. Let's hope he lights up MLS though. It is interesting that he actually has more goal production although the swiss league may be pretty stingy in what they call an assist vs the assist candy that MLS hands out like participation trophies at a U-10 tourney.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #56 xbhaskarx, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
    Glad to see Hyka got through immigration at a US airport without any difficulties
    [Edited for off topic]

7. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    “I never had a problem with that because I know America is an open country for everybody,” Hyka said Saturday during an introductory news conference. “If you are Muslim, Catholic or Jewish, I knew from the beginning I wouldn’t have a problem with that.”

I swear sometimes foreigners know more about our country then our residents.

I watched the interview and he also mentioned that the visa hangup was on the ALBANIAN side. So all that 'it's Trump's fault' speculation turned out wrong.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone was really speculating it was Trump's fault for the delay, we have had issues in the past getting players into the country.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It is also possible that he is not up to date with the latest political events in our country, and some of the ideas being tossed around, which would be consistent with generally knowing less than U.S. residents do. But sometimes knowing less is a good thing.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    You missed some posts that the mods pulled for their overtly political bs that CLEARLY were say just that.

Beerking repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think it was more nuanced than that. A new administration has come in, new folks at DHS, etc. Among other things, they may be taking a look at how they "vet" immigrants, and that could possibly lead to some delays in the process. I'm not expressing a value judgment either way, just saying that it wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case (and apparently it was not, i.e. there was probably nothing particularly unusual about whatever delays that there were). If it were the case, then I suppose one could "blame" Trump, as he is the one nominating the new head of DHS, etc. But it could possibly happen with any change in administration.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ten days or so ago, while awaiting Hyka's arrival:

Me. "My anonymous well-placed source told me that Hyka's work visa issue has nothing to do with his religion. The difficulties with getting the international players here are the usual ones the team has encountered over the years."

JazzyJ: "Dom [Kinnear] seems to suggest it is not quite business as usual. Maybe there is just additional turmoil due to the administration change. 'Getting them into the country is taking a little more time than usual,' he (Dom) said. 'It’s beyond me. We’ve had guys in and they’re going back out.'” (Emphasis yours).

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't know what you're tying to prove. OK it is an unusually usual? Who cares? I stand by what a posted above and I don't think it is necessarily controversial. And it is not inconsistent with what I posted 10 days ago or whatever.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I had a better grasp of the situation than Dom Kinnear. :)

15. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not to derail the immigration discussion back onto soccer ;)

I've been excited about the Hyka signing, and was hoping to see him play against Sac. He didn't make the team booklet, so I wasn't sure he was even here. He only got about 5 mins on the wing, because they moved him to 10 when Cato came on. He looked pretty good though. He's in mid-season form though, having been playing at Lucerne.

He's smaller than I pictured, but he moves well. His goal was well taken, and he didn't look out of place in the team. I'm hopeful he'll be productive for us.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He Jahmir Hyka is a good player. He got two assists in the second half against Vancouver and hasn't even played a full 90 minutes yet.

davez and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guys gotta be starting, hes the business.

davez repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He should be starting in place of Simon, but I don't think that will happen unless Simon gets injured. Rather, he'll get all of the minutes that should be going to TT...

davez, JazzyJ and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don't think he'll get an official assist for the Lima goal. He made a nice move in the box and crossed to Wondo. But MLS no longer gives credit for "secondary assists". On the first one, it is just a simple layoff / backpass - a pretty mundane play that guys make all the time. But that's the one he'll get credit for.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Supposedly they gave him credit for the goal....I got that from Quakes website.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2017/03/11/recap-quakes-3-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-2

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I've seen it both ways. It's there in the boxscore but it wasn't in the stat roleup. If he gets credit for the pass for the pass, then maybe TT could catch a break and get an assist for Wondo's goal :). He hit the corner that the keeper could only bat away, Muma got it and passed to Wondo.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read Hyka has been training with the starters. He will probably replace Tommy Thompson in the right midfield spot....

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    To be expected. That's what I've been predicting. Don't think TT will even get off the bench in this one.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jahmir Hyka made the Albanian national team for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification match against Italy on 24 March and the Friendly match against Bosnia and Herzegovina on 28 March 2017.....

[​IMG]

don gagliardi repped this.