The Official François Affolter thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jul 21, 2017.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just heard the news. Who is he?

2. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I like the whole spring it on the unsuspecting public angle to this.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Found this article: http://www.luzernerzeitung.ch/sport...-francois-affolter-trennen-sich;art98,1068562

Google translate says:

Hmmm, four goals! But he's a defender, so ok. Apparently he knew it was coming. But...that doesn't answer the question of how he found us so quickly? There's speculation on Reddit that he's a friend of Hyka, and if he has Hyka's work ethic, we're happy to have him on board.

4. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As was painfully aware midweek, we need reinforcements. He's reinforcements.

At this point, I'm very secure in giving Fioranelli the benefit of the doubt with the quality he's bringing into the club.

We recently said goodbye to Francis. Judging by his European pedigree, this has to be an instant improvement.

5. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #5 chris thebassplayer, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Centerback...with some Dmid and RB capability same as Flo. He's 6' 1''

He has experience playing in a three back.

Great news...

Possibly gets Flo further up field or at a minimum puts Imperiale on the bench.

6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't we need to free up an international slot?

Who's leaving Dawkins, Cato, Ceren, Imperiale?

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ceren and Dawkins can leave, in that order. I'm fine with keeping Cato and Imperiale around.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has played 5 times for Switzerland. Hopefully he isn't the Swiss miss that Innocent was.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I watched some Lucerne games. I'm sorry to say, there were many goals in which he was the primarily atfolter.

Beerking repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flo to d-mid maybe, Andrés will continue starting. ChrisL rates him higher than Muma or any other defenders excepting Flo. ChrisL has had Imperiale starting as the center defender in our three man backline. Andrés has been directing traffic in the bck too. That means that ChrisL rates him, as do I.

Muma's days as starter are numbered, at best. Andrés has another season (or two?) with us, I think.

Oh, and I'm less impressed by Affolter's resume than by the fact that Jesse and his buddies think the guy is good. We need the reinforcements, so I'm pumped. :D

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

davez repped this.
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love that pic in the Murky News! He's already here!! F-Yeah!

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not as tall but reminds a little bit of Goodson, thin frame who likes to stick his long legs in their to make a tackle.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't wait to see him play. I assume that he's the heir apparent to Muma, but time will tell.

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, Bernardez was suspended for the match against NYRB, so that may have changed things a bit. There haven't been enough games with Leitch in charge to get any definitive answers on which players he prefers in most cases. He has gone with Imperiale numerous times, so he is at least willing to put him out there (something Kinnear wouldn't do for a very long time), but I don't know if it says anything in particular about his evaluation of him.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shall see what transpires.

And it could be that my pro-Imperiale bias is showing here. I think that he is clearly one of our better defenders. Also, I have thought that Muma was approaching or past his use by date for a season or two now.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 xbhaskarx, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Why would Flo move to d-mid? Recheck your math: three man backline, that probably means Affolter-Imperiale-Jungwirth.

Okay, now I see where you're getting that from, the Mercury News article implies that Jungwirth has been forced to play CB by the injuries:

The move to sign Affolter began in the preseason when Harold Cummings of Panama was lost for the year after breaking a leg while tripping in his home. The Earthquakes also lost versatile defender Marvell Wynne, who had open-heart surgery in March.

The health issues forced the team to employ Jungwirth in the central defense where he has performed admirably. Seldom-used Argentine defender Andreas Imperiale has been starting since Leitch took over last month for the fired Dominic Kinnear.

The latest signing could spell the end for central defender Victor Bernardez, 35, who is in his final year of his contract.​

But Godoy is a lock starter at d-mid....

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "holding the jersey" photo is pretty standard across leagues and sports, but the "signing the contract" photo just seems very Euro soccer... not sure previous Quakes players have posed like that, so maybe it's another thing that's been brought to the team by Jesse...

20. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because those contracts say "MLS" on them and not "San Jose Earthquakes" means the reality is he is signing with New York based, Delaware formed MLS and being allocated to SJE.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    On the surface this seems like what the doctor ordered, depending on how good Monsieur Affolter turns out to be. Quakes have been thin at CB. And this makes a 3-back easier to pull off w/o having to play a guy like Sarkodie back there. Plus he's relatively young and could stay a while. I think that is impressive. Jessie is signing guys that 1) fit an immediate need this year, and 2) are young enough to potentially contribute to the club for years afterward.

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    As long as he's better than Francis, Sarkodie or Cato I'm OK with this signing, otherwise it's just us spinning our wheels again.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Never fear, BK. When the opposition goes a-chargin' towards our goal, our defense won't a-ffolter.

bsman and Beerking repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    horrible.....just horrible. :D