The Official Florian Jungwirth thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #2 JazzyJ, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Jungwirth really seemed to be happy to be here. You can tell at the press conference. Just really excited. Hoesen, if seemed more like "hey, shut up, a gig's a gig".

BTW, I think they said that Jungwirth goes by "Flo", which puts him in pretty good company in this country.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot the biggest star of the bunch...

OWN(yewu)ED, Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    A little behind on my pop culture. Didn't know she was also a Flo.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Also, this one.

[​IMG]

natenate101 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully after today's press intro Florian and Danny went across the street and took a flight
    to Arizona and will be training with the rest of the team on Friday. Probably just watch their new team's
    preseason game against RSL.

7. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse said in the presser that they were leaving that afternoon and would be meeting their new teammates tonight. If the Quakes keep their word and at least one Arizona game gets streamed, I hope it's when these two guys will play. That said, I was personally really looking forward to seeing how the draft picks were doing and we could see less of them with roster filled out.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really impressed with Jungwirth in central D last night... he worked well with Muma and had some great plays individually. Happy to have him.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say that his debut was a stunner. He bosses the backline competently, is tough as nails, and (Danger's commentary notwithstanding) has enough quickness to help destroy counterattacks

11. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen the TV coverage of the game, I was just going by my observations from the stands... but glad to see corroboration.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, we are lucky to have him. He is really good, and a great attitude. Of all the new guys, he is the one that is clearly most happy to be here, and is showing major leadership on the field as well as playing great.

13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He looks like a great replacement for Goodson. He smiles a lot and seems to be enjoying himself.

14. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was great at CB. He's such a well rounded player you could probably play him anywhere on the field...Also, a natural leader, which we absolutely need. That level of quality and versatility is a huge boost to the depth of the team. When Cummings is healthy, assuming he is solid, we can plug Flo as a starter into any area of need. Definitely the primary fill for Godoy when he's out...maybe LB, maybe bumps Alashe to another position..,still think Alashe would be great in a three back. I love the depth we have...and quality youth.

We could trot out a wicked 3-4-1-2 with the existing players...Tommy underneath Urena and Wondo...Godoy and Flo as central mids...Lima definitely RB wingback...Muma, Cummings and Alashe in the three man back... several options at LB wingback...Hyka probably not a great fit there...perfect spot for Colvey or Pelosi if healthy...a lot of options and possibilities without even taking into account DP additions in the summer.

Back to Flo...just a fantastic addition for us. He's going to make it happen wherever he is on the field.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I am not sold on Flo being a d-mid. Maybe a very defensive #6. I mean I'm sure he'd do well there, but he is just playing so well as a CB, and in keeping the back line organized I would hesitate to move him anywhere at this point. But there is a lot of season left to go, with probably many surprises in store. We still don't know what Cummings is going to look like back there.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is a very good player. So far, he looks even better than Goodson was when he was younger. I think he lost the ball once along the wing but was an overwhelming presence in the center of the defense.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its too early to tell but if Jungwirth continues to play as he did against Montreal, getting him for only 100 Th. € from SV Darmstadt 98 will have been a bargain. I hope he won't get injured....

upload_2017-3-8_18-53-44.png

18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translated through Google Translate:

[​IMG]
    When the Darmstadt night was once again a day: Jungwirth (center) celebrates the class salary with Michael Stegmayer, Patrick Platins, Luca Caldirola and Dominik Stroh-Engel in May 2016. (Image © Imago)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    bsman repped this.
  21. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Out of the small Darmstadt, pure into the great San José: Florian Jungwirth turned his back on the 98s, joined the Earthquakes in early February and thus realized his dream of an engagement in the US Major League Soccer (MLS).With the lilies he celebrated the 2016 Bundesliga promotion and 2016 the class salary. On a Friday morning (US time), we are scheduled to meet with the 28-year-old - just before the training.

Hessenschau.de: Mr. Jungwirth, shortly before our conversation you wrote: If there is no traffic jam, there is enough time for the interview. How many times have you been stuck in traffic jams in San José and how often in Darmstadt?

Florian Jungwirth (grins): This was rarely the case in Darmstadt. Here one has unfortunately one or the other extra minute to schedule, the traffic is already extremely.

Hessenschau.de: Nearly 150,000 people live in Darmstadt, and slightly more than a million in San José. Where have you been on the road so far?

Jungwirth: In San José it's really a game, so football is not as popular as other sports. Right next to our stadium is the football stadium of the 49ers. I think they are already more popular. But recently I was with a buddy at the basketball in Oakland - I was recognized smoothly.

Hessenschau.de: The USA is known as a land of unlimited possibilities.Everything is bigger, more pompous. Is this also true for professional football?

Jungwirth: In any case. If I see our own terrain and our training possibilities alone - the half Bundesliga would be happy. It is all classic American, in every small chamber there is a flat screen TV. Everything you need, you get. And it is also the Americans' ambitions in sport: in no way spares costs. For a player this is, of course, nice, because you have all the possibilities to prepare yourself optimally.

Hessenschau.de: And how does your sporting comparison between Bundesliga and MLS look like?

Quote"There would be" Helle "not among the top ten sprinters."Quote end
    Jungwirth: You can not compare it from the level. The MLS is hard to compare with another league anyway. Tactically, she still has a bit of catching up, with a development to be seen. But Europe's leagues are still missing. On the other hand, I also say that it is playfully better than the second German league. Here are really good kickers - also athletic and fast. "Helle" (Marcel Heller, Darmstadt 98) was not among the top ten of the sprinters (laughs).

Hessenschau.de: Is there something you miss at Darmstadt or in general at Germany?

Quote"The guys from the SV98 are also missing."Quote end
    Jungwirth (deliberately briefly): Yes, I miss the bread very much. America and bread is a disaster. Luckily I have already found a German bakery here. But then, for 200 grams of bread, you pay just seven dollars. Otherwise, of course I miss my family and friends. But this is quite normal and was no different in Darmstadt. And the guys from the SV 98 are also missing. It was a long and formative time there. It is completely clear that this is not forgotten after a month.

Hessenschau.de: Do you follow the games of your former colleagues?

Jungwirth: Yes, I've been up often in the morning and have listened to the best lily radio. Mostly only in the second half, for our time the impetus is quite early (laughs).

Hessenschau.de: Will be tight for the lilies in relegation, right?

Jungwirth: Yes, unfortunately. They have won against Mainz, but all the others have won. This is bitter and twelve points behind are a lot of wood. But miracles and spinning are there to make a reality in Darmstadt.

Hessenschau.de: Many footballers dream of playing in the English Premier League, for Real Madrid or FC Barcelona. With you, it was always the USA, it was always the MLS. What is behind your "American Dream"?

Jungwirth: The whole package is right. It is not just about football but about life per se. I was with my wife often on holiday in the USA. We have completely fallen in love with the country. Three years ago I started to pursue the MLS. You can see that a boom has developed here, the league is getting better from year to year. And at some point I said: That fits - both in life and the sport. It was always a spinning until the contact to San José emerged and the sports director had registered with me. The season started in March, so I had to change in the winter.

Further information
    SAN JOSE AGAINST FRANKFURT
    Florian Jungwirth and his San José Earthquakes will meet on Eintracht Frankfurt on July 14th. From 6 to 18 July, the Hessian plan to organize a summer training camp in the USA. The match against San José is one of three test matches.

End of further information
    Hessenschau.de: ... what in Darmstadt for some quarrels with coach Torsten Frings worried.

Jungwirth: If you have your dream, first ask for it in a normal way, then it is said: Okay, we get it - but two days later it means: No, but not ... Of course, you feel a bit bad. And that was really a phase, in which I simply went badly, also mentally. I felt I lost three kilos. I do not know if I would have helped the team. This has been hard for me in the training. And then it's okay to criticize my training performance. The way is another story.

Hessenschau.de: On Facebook, a fan recently asked you if you still wear the Johnny-Heimes-Bracelet.

Jungwirth (holding his wrist in the camera): The blue and white has unfortunately broken, but the yellow-red I have every day. Of course this has not changed.

Hessenschau.de: Did your new players already inquire what it is about?

Jungwirth: Some have asked, one or two have gelen the Darmstadt side and got the story to Johnny's first day of death. Then I told the story and how it came to the band. An interesting, but very sad story.

Hessenschau.de: The hr-sport recently found that former US President Barack Obama follows SV Darmstadt 98 on Twitter . Since you are so close, please help us solve this mystery. Do you know in San José why this is so?

Jungwirth: I've asked around here, but nobody knows. I only know that Barack Obama follows a few sports teams.

Hessenschau.de: But Darmstadt 98 is the only European football club.

Jungwirth: Rightly. If he liked a European club, then it must be the lilies. He has a taste.

22. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is a pretty funny translation!

bsman and falvo repped this.
  23. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ".....But recently I was with a buddy at the basketball in Oakland - I was recognized smoothly."

not sure if that means some one recognized him or not....also like in an interview after his first MLS/Quakes match was asked how was the match....his answer "hilarious" :D

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #24 JazzyJ, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    At first I thought that it meant that he was recognized and people liked him, etc. but I think it is actually that he wasn't recognized, and that made it "smooth". I can't imagine people at a Warriors game knowing who the heck he is. I'm not sure Quakes fans would recognize him if he was walking around Avaya in street clothes.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #25 falvo, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Europeans speak differently , even in colloquial terms. Its always tough to translate but you did a good job! Thanks!

As far as comparing the levels of MLS vs the Euro leagues, Its apples and oranges. I've gone on to defend the level of MLS in recent posts in the European threads. I'm not sure exactly why there is this backlash from some Euro snobbish posters towards MLS. Is it La Liga, EPL, Serie A or Bundesliga? No and it simply can't be for very many reasons but why does it have to be at that level? We have a salary cap of $3 million (more or less) for 25 players. This alone should tell you what the quality is like.

When I see the progress the league has made though, I'd challenge that MLS is just as good and maybe even better than most second, third or fourth tier clubs anywhere on earth. In Europe you have one bottom team doing well one year and then selling off all their players to pay bills and relegated the very next season. Many league in Latin America or in Argentina or Brazil have trouble paying their players. There is also no TV revenue, sponsors and very few fans attend games on lower leveled teams. They also don't have 20 brand new stadiums to brag about and usually play in old relics over 50 years old.

The instability of most lower European level teams by comparison is just like night and day. MLS doesn't have Barca, Real, Juve , Chelsea, Liverpool or Man United but they do have good teams and tough players. Its far from an easy league to play in and many European stars (younger or older) can attest to that. I've seen superstars struggling in MLS. Regardless of the levels of other players, the excuse can't always be, the stars can't play with other lesser players. I mean maybe its true of 1, 2, 3 or even 7 players but an entire league? If anything highly paid superstars should dominate a bottom level league. When I see a Drogba, even at 38 years of age on the bench , an ineffective Pirlo and Kaka or a Frank Lampard booed off the pitch, I keep asking, why? Obviously, its not as easy of a league as everyone perceives it to be.

Sactown Soccer and bsman repped this.