The Official Fire Sunil Gulati Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sXeWesley, Nov 16, 2016.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    great conspiracy but when it comes to money laundering..you follow the money personal testimony doesn't help. What would he say...yeah we were stealing money...but please only charge him lol. Also why has nobody from mls been charged? why hasn't garber been charged?

you heard that sunil's phone was tapped..did you get that from a message board or did the fbi tell you?

I think you don't really understand the justice department investigation and what they were investigating or what was wrong. stop making stuff up its childish.

I do love that people just make stuff up to try to fit their narrative. Did you guys know HRC worked with the russians to lose to trump...prison for her for sure.

mschofield repped this.
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put it in terms so succinct even you might understand:
    A New Fan : A Super Fan : : Houston Hoya Fan: JK

Now, please, continue to Fan away.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goes far to explain why you so love what you do.

russ repped this.
  4. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve come a long way, in a short time, to finish where we started.

Hope and Change. Kathy Carter!

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @dark knight Can we just change the title of the thread to The Official Fire Carlos Cordeiro Thread? If USSF can't be bothered to start a new regime, we shouldn't be bothered to start a new thread.

I will just say Carlos has far less extensive a soccer resume than Gulati, or any other candidate and far more of a Goldman Sachs vampire squid resume. Should be a real fun presidency.

AutoPenalti, Marko72, VBCity72 and 5 others repped this.
  6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

oh come on the twitter outrage is just silly I mean are there any grownups in the world left or just twitter trolls.

us soccer is years away from pro/rel regardless of who was elected and there is another one in four years and even the biggest 'change' candidate wouldn't have gotten to a full pro/rel by that point anyway.

if people really want pro/rel they need to find lower level teams like a nasl team..support them and make it so they would be capable of moving up. thats what will help pro/rel.

the president has less power now then any port of sunil's tenure. The key is if they can make an effort to expand youth soccer opportunities by in part dealing with pay for play(which cordeiro has said he will) and will the board make a good choice with the newly developed gm roles and the new men's head coach.

if those things happen us soccer will be better in four years people should be hopeful. wynalda lied to you get over those false hopes of miracle fixes.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And if USSF can actually bring about any change at all in youth devo, in which they do have a brief, it will be a miracle. It would be great if USSF would take on pay for play, but there are many making money off of pay for play who really like the system as it is and don't want change. Changing a system that profits a fair number of the folks who count as your stakeholders is a difficult ask.
    The biggest issue in this public-ish USSF race was that the chatter assumed the USSF president actually matters, and can bring about sweeping change.
    The US soccer infrastructure is too spread, to diverse, serving too many masters and too many with vested interest and real influence on the ground for a president to make changes. The best he can do is encourage it.
    And pick a new manager, that he can control.
    The notions that he could put MLS on a fall to spring schedule, or enforce a pro/rel setup on US pro soccer is laughably naive. Gulati was and Cordiero will be quite limited in this position. Beyond picking managers and trying to set a tone for others to act upon, they don't have the power to really screw things up and they don't have the power to set things right.

Marko72 repped this.
  8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed.

Nonetheless, the one thing that IS in their direct control, as you'd mentioned, is hiring and firing of national team managers, something that Gulati did a piss-poor job of on multiple occasions (and not only with the men) that had direct consequences this past cycle, and what did we do? We picked the candidate with even less soccer experience...

sXeWesley, Semblance17 and mschofield repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Meet the new boss....Same as the old boss.... Won't get fooled again.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Fed can’t stop pay to play, join it. The incentives I mean. The Fed should have an “incentive” budget that pays clubs every time one of their products plays in MLS or WPLS. 5 times as much for each cap. Incentivize the clubs to develop pros rather than college players.

We have a ton of money due to the Copa. So why not?

sXeWesley repped this.
  11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    fed would be bankrupt after one season...then what?

the college stuff has to stop why do people have this ridiculous thing about college soccer. college soccer isn't hurting mls at all if nasl wants to end college soccer then they need to start getting some of these billions they say are out their in an open system and start paying youth talent.

12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really slayed those straw men. I said nothing about pro/rel or Wynalda. Try actually responding to what I actually said.

13. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    ok

Cordeiro has been a ussf vp for 10 years has more experience in the set up then gulati said so the idea that he has less isn't true. Cordeiro has been in the structure and experience isn't always a bad thing. In post #161 you claimed anyone would be better then Sunil even landon donovan and his zero experience...so why does Cordeiro have to have experience now?

you then like a child asked if we could just change the title to 'official fire carlos cordeiro' because you've changed from literally anyone being better to...wait there is someone not ok...the person they elected.

the negativity is childish. if what I said is wrong then who did you want to be president and why? you hate sum? you didn't complain when they made millions for mls and helped the sport become the most successful soccer league the country has ever had. ussf almost went bankrupt but for some reason saving it from that has become the enemy that is pretty amazing stuff.

I think its fake outrage I think you want to be mad and enjoy it. You would've been upset about anyone being elected. That is why you said 'literally anyone else', I mean you talk about less experience I mean did you read about the other candidates? Wyanlda thought he could force mls to literally change everything about the league and when people asked them how he would do it he said he would just explain without any proof...I think it would be better if we set up a structure where teams drop down a division to a division we don't have in our country because there are really rich people in our country who want to invest in a high risk sports league. We change when games are played so the league goes head to head will college football in the fall which is much more popular. People will just figure out that they would pick soccer over football in the fall even though they won't pick soccer over baseball in the summer. They don't want to go to matches in minnesota in july they want to go in late november in the snow.

Cordeiro will be a great president for ussf and I think there should be a thread about that. how about some positive thoughts instead of being a twitter troll on a message board. All of the issues Cordeiro will face to do the things he's said he will will be the same ones that any other person elected would've faced.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it wouldn't.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    You have to be very careful about what strings you attach before you decide to throw money at your main opponent.

Here is how I'd been thinking of working it out:

I would split the DA into two 'tiers' --

a) one is for teams that have a senior team roster in USSF-sanctioned leagues in Division I through IV. (The beauty of Div IV is that it isn't all professional. You can keep costs down by having only a few guys signed to professional contracts.) In Tier I, USSF will provide matching funds for scholarships and travel subsidies provided to youth teams by their clubs (up to a limit of club revenue, so you're not throwing money at Atlanta United for doing what they're already supposed to be doing). The goal here is to get teams to change their mode of thinking about the purpose of youth development, by engineering themselves to sign players and sell them (which is, from the point of view of clubs, the point).

b) the second tier is for the top travel teams that don't want to create a senior team. This tier won't have access to the same subsidies from Tier I (and they will no longer be able to say they play at the highest level in the country for recruitment purposes), but it will still have the logistical help from the Fed in terms of technical evaluation, scheduling, etc. (USSF might give the same need-based scholarships to individual kids in Tier II programs that they do now.) It would also ideally be a much larger tent, with hundreds of travel teams, so that you can make the divisions geographically smaller and limit teams' travel costs and travel time by drawing up some fairly tight regulations about how often they are allowed to travel outside the division (but not be so stringent about teams wanting to play the occasional friendly against weaker competition within their region, so long as that isn't most of the schedule). You would also have the same long-season schedule (though perhaps being a little more lax about kids wanting to play in HS) and training-to-games requirements the DA has now. (A side note, I'd drop the calendar year registration rules. They're a classic example of a well-meaning reform failing because it didn't generate buy-in.)​

The ideal is that you'd be creating a few more truly functional academies (and if there's only ~40 of those, so be it, that's still a start, more than we have now), and then beyond that to 'play the numbers game' as best you can by keeping the rest of the clubs' expenses down and making sure a lot of kids are still getting a pretty strong development experience by pay-to-play standards.

An exaggeration, but it's worth pointing out that one of the biggest myths circulating around our election was that USSF is rich, that the surplus it is sitting on is ideal for funding pet projects that will affect the masses of soccer players and change culture. That 'massive' surplus we're sitting on is about one quarter of what MLS takes in for revenue in one year, and nobody is confusing MLS for the big leagues. Put another way, the amount of money that flows into the pay-to-play infrastructure is easily an order of magnitude larger than what USSF has to work with, which they've built up over several years, some of which came from the WNT (that they'll have a real problem with spending on boys), and a lot of which came from one-off events.

Marko72 repped this.
  16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are certainly plenty of pejoratives that could honestly describe me or my viewpoints, I don't think childish is one of them. You are arguing with generalized straw men on twitter, not with me.

Cordeiro is a different person than Gulati, I prefer that, he has however been the right hand man for 10 years and has little to no soccer background, that is concerning. The business experience he does have prior to USSF is within business structures that I find ethically questionable. Feel free to start a super positive Cordeiro is awesome thread. I honestly hope your positive outlook ends up being more accurate than my pessimistic view in all honesty.

17. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I said childish because I don't know if you played a lot of pickup soccer as a kid but the way it would work is one kid would bring the ball and basically if he didn't like the way things were going...he didn't get all the players he wanted on his team or his team was getting killed...he'd pick up the ball complain for a minute and go home. Thats what I compare to the anti cordeiro people whose arguments are simply 'oh he was vp and doesn't have a good enough soccer background for a position that isn't a soccer related position so I am going to boycott us soccer'...basically you are picking up ur ball and going home. To me that is a childish argument and a childish act. It was ok when we were 10 but we aren't so we should be a tad more complicated in our opinions. I mean you know who I am talking about...the people moving to canada when obama got elected..then the people who were moving when trump got elected but all still live in the states.

any time you have someone or bash them without knowing anything about them its just not a good look at all.

18. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    sure it would...it was there before and would quickly get there again.

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I really disagree the fed was almost bankrupt 20 years ago its very real that we could get there again with bad fiscal policies i.e. making everything free and assuming money will role in as a result.

20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I don't think you are arguing with me. I am not taking my ball and going anywhere, I have been involved with this game playing, coaching, watching and commenting and specifically here on these boards long before Carlos Cordeiro was ever introduced to the beautiful game and I will be around long after he is gone.

Cordeiro is the same regime no matter how anyone wants to spin it and the discussions herein are apropos to him

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you are being childish he has a plan and we should let him take a shot with it. to just decide because someone hurt ur feelings that he is bad because of who he is an example of taking ur ball and going home.

maybe you are much older then he is so you ahve more experience in the game he has been involved in since he was a child. Just because you are 90-100 years old and he only has 50 years 'in the game' doesn't mean he can't help it. In fact maybe him with only his 50 years compared to the 90-100 years you have gives him sort of an outsiders perspective that you don't have and that could be beneficial.

I do hope the 'long after he is gone' isn't a reference to a threat somehow against him though.

22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "USL is arguably the best 2nd division league in the world" - Cordeiro in Press Conference after AGM.

23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    "I would love to see one of these hotshot teams from Europe come here and play in our CONCACAF qualifying and really get a taste of this and see what that's about,"

-bruce arena during wc qualifying

quotes aren't important especially from biased parties facts are

24. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, we elected a president who arguably has no idea the UK, let alone Europe, exists.

25. asroma1982

asroma1982 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Club:
    AS Roma
    sorry guys but usa is on level of gibraltar and san marino i mean luxemburg is one notch ahead of usa lol

LGRod repped this.