The Official Fire Sunil Gulati Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sXeWesley, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunil is not like a GM imo. A GM has a direct boss and is not an elected position. A gm is hired and fired. A federation president in not hired and fired, he is elected or not elected.

Unless Sunil breaks any US Soccer by-laws, he can not be fired as I understand it. He only can lose his position if he loses the next election or decides to resign.

mbar repped this.
  2. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Depends on your definition of "for cause"...

Bylaw 414. REMOVAL
    Any member of the Board of Directors may be removed by the Board for cause, after reasonable notice, hearing, and reasonable opportunity to present the member's case. Removal requires a two-thirds vote of the Board. Removal from the Board also simultaneously removes that member from all other positions of the Federation. A President removed from office for cause under this bylaw shall be ineligible to serve as Immediate Past President.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What control does Klinsmann have beyond what a normal manager has?

The only thing that I can think of is that he's installed one of his assistants as U23 manager. But even past US managers had input on that as well.

The rest of the youth coaching staff are USSF hires, through-and-through. There's very little evidence he even does anything as TD.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the next election? How do we nominate someone who is capable of the job?

sXeWesley repped this.
  5. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    "For cause" is generally a very high bar in employment law cases. Things like fraud, not showing up repeatedly, failing to make any decisions at all, streaking naked onto the pitch at halftime (god forbid).

He hasn't stolen anything. He has shown up. He hired the former manager of Germany to run our program. And he hasn't done anything scandalous... The Jurgen decision isn't working out, but that's far from a "for cause" firing offense.

Andy_B repped this.
  6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you fire Sunil when we hold the womens world cup and our men's team is now minus our 3 world class players - Donovan, Dempsey, Howard? Sunil stays for the long haul.

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a 4 year term and the last election was March of 2014. So if they keep the same election schedule, it should be March of 2018.

Winoman repped this.
  8. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    They could do it anyway and presume Sunil either doesn't want the hassle of the lawsuit, negotiate a "buyout/no suit agreement", "discover" something, or just go ahead and pay the legal damages. Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions, that's what a Board is for.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He's been in the job for over a decade; that in and of itself is a reason to seek a newer perspective.

russ, nowherenova and Winoman repped this.
  10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. Here is the formal definition

(i) an intentional act of fraud, embezzlement, theft or any other material violation of law that occurs during or in the course of your employment with company;
    (ii) intentional damage to companies assets;
    (iii) intentional disclosure of company’s confidential information contrary to companies policies;
    (iv) breach of your obligations under this agreement;
    (v) intentional engagement in any competitive activity which would constitute a breach of your duty of loyalty or of your obligations under this agreement;
    (vi) intentional breach of any of company’s policies;
    (vii) the willful and continued failure to substantially perform your duties for company (other than as a result of incapacity due to physical or mental illness); or
    (viii) willful conduct by you that is demonstrably and materially injurious to company, monetarily or otherwise.

SamsArmySam and Winoman repped this.
  11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you have to also acknowledge that the board is looking at items significantly broader than who the coach of the Us National team is. That one choice is the presidents most public responsibility and easiest to judge on from afar but his duties and responsibilities go well beyond that one decision even if we are not privy to them.

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe control is a bad word. He has gotten pretty much everything USSF could get him.

January camps in Brazil. European based coaches/scouting,

Marko72 and Balerion repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, I know that, and I have know idea if Sunil is doing a good job or not...

But I'm emotional. Burn him at the stake

Andy_B repped this.
  14. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget he was allowed to hire his own personal consult in Berti (who I had hoped was suppose to help avoid fiascos like the Mexico start).

Marko72 repped this.
  15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I was actually curious to see if this was possible

http://www.ussoccer.com/about/governance/bylaws

Bylaw 414. REMOVAL
    Any member of the Board of Directors may be removed by the Board for cause, after reasonable notice, hearing, and reasonable opportunity to present the member's case. Removal requires a two-thirds vote of the Board. Removal from the Board also simultaneously removes that member from all other positions of the Federation. A President removed from office for cause under this bylaw shall be ineligible to serve as Immediate Past President.

So it is, just get 2/3rds of the board to agree to it

16. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was already posted and discussed what For Cause means and how it does not relate legally in this case. Read the posts above yours.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wouldn't marrying a Mexican qualify as "all of the above?" :p

18. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunil Gulati is a failure. Why does the business guy make soccer decisions? He is utterly incompetent. I have no faith in US Soccer. Gulati and his supporters have hidden behind the head coach of the men's team for far too long. Bruce Arena will get us to a world cup, but it doesn't remove the cancer

19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't give him that much credit. He's not a business guy. Government and Academia.

Fanatical Monk and sXeWesley repped this.
  20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this. I mean I started the thread and I said fire him, but realistically there is absolutely no way that happens. The board would have to be the ones to do it, even if it were possible the board are his guys and never going to act.

So the election is obviously the only real avenue to pusue a change and is over a year away, but it should be possible for fans to have influence over it, there are not that many of us in total and if there was any real noise about it, or we were united in some fashion in opposition to Sunil and had a candidate we were united behind, I imagine we could actually help get someone elected.

But of course that would require an alternative to Sunil, last time around he ran unopposed and was unanimously elected, LOL.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/12/49/140301-sunilgulati-reelected-ussf-pres

Here is the board, of the few names I recognize, none are an inspiring:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/about/governance/board-of-directors

The Annual General meeting this year is in Hawai, anyone want to go crash the party?
    http://www.ussocceragm.com/

ceezmad repped this.
  21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been able to find that book in stores as of yet, so I wouldn't know. I don't suppose Abby Wambach also included that tidbit in her new book... :confused:

Nevertheless, the lackluster performance in the Algarve Cup was the implied excuse for the ouster. And as I pointed out a few months ago, Klinsmann has endured 10x as much catastrophe in his tenure.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What we have to remember is that the electorate in this case is made up of a lot of groups other than the USMNT. The majority of those other organizations have been happy with him (especially while the USWNT was doing so well). As long as he keeps lining their coffers, they'll keep voting for him. Especially if he runs UN-EFFING-OPPOSED every election.

What'll be interesting to see is whether the USWNT turns their back on Sunil. Based on the recent salary feud and other disagreements, that's very possible.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to see somebody like Julie Foudy runs against Sunil in the next election. And why not? Intelligent, personable, understands the game (certainly more than Sunil), seems like a great leader based on her work with the USWNT......................

Having a president that was a businessman/economist made a certain amount of sense 15 years ago when the federation was trying rub two dimes together as a budget.. Now we should really have a federation president with a background in the game. These types of people should be developing thru MLS front offices.

And you sure as hell need to find somebody to run against Sunil next time. To be honest, I'm not sure its that coveted of a position. Its an unpaid position (In theory. There's a lot of whining and dining, and expenses paid for everything). So even for Sunil its a part-time gig. He's a Colombia professor...........................

That's part of what the USSF should be asking itself. Why is a position as important as USSF president a part-time job?

swedust, russ, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I did mean wining and dining, and not whining and dining..................:) !!!!!

24. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. I just assumed that the President position was unpaid so as not to draw any attention to the ridiculous ammounts of money changing hands, incestuous business relationships between entities like FIFA, CONCACAF, MLS, SUM, Traffic Sports, Premier Partnerships (owned by former USSF President and all around shady character Alan Rothenberg, who also happens to be a member of the prestigous FIFA Ethics Commitee, LOL), basically a propped up suit to give an air of respectibility and all unpaid to make it seem like some sort of altruistic volunteer function.

You know, a beard.

russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I still kind of works...

Apologies if this has already been posted. I've been on the road:

U.S. Soccer’s biggest problem isn’t Jurgen Klinsmann, it’s Sunil Gulati’s indecision
    The USSF president is failing to deal with more troubling matters than whether Klinsmann stays on as manager

snip:

If U.S. Soccer was a horror movie, Gulati would be the character that hides under the bed, hoping the undead axe murderer gets bored, goes home and starts a new life as a tax attorney. His method of leadership is to provide no leadership at all. And it’s causing a growing number of embarrassments on both the men’s and women’s sides of the game.

https://whatahowler.com/u-s-soccers...ann-it-s-sunil-gulati-f750cc144030#.k4kqg65ua

chad, Winoman, sXeWesley and 1 other person repped this.