The Official Earnie Stewart as GM Assessment Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jun 6, 2018.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My conclusion: He's just a figure head. The way he handled AZ (let's be honest that was the last time he was really beholden to his position) from what I could tell while Jozy and Aron(?) were there is nothing like how he handled Union or the USMNT. He's basically in retirement.

2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    His fingerprints are all over 3Gs "system" approach though.

That is mainly Earnie's idea and that is why he wants to be in control of the entire youth set up too. To try to implement what they have in Holland.

Won't Work Here.

3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie Stewart is my all-time favorite USMNT player, but I've been having doubts about him as an executive as a result of the Union's play this year. Following year after year of the same old mediocrity, in just one year after Stewart's departure, they've been transformed into a good team by an influx of talent brought in by Ernst Tanner. As much as I hate to say it, this does not speak well of Stewart.

Burr, superdave, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is rather unfair towards Stewart. He inherited an absolute dumpster fire in Philly. He literally had to build the soccer ops side up from ground floor. He built the foundation, and Ernst Tanner has come in and is putting the finishing work and renovations in place, as as building upon the foundation that Stewart laid. Hiring Tanner was a real coup for the Union. Most fans on this side of the Atlantic don't realize how instrumental Tanner was in building up RB Salzburg's Academy into one of the best in Europe. He also helped build up Hoffenheim as well.

Hopefully his stewardship will lead to more home grown players, and academy players being sold abroad.

Roger Allaway, Winoman and STR1 repped this.
  5. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that you are right. Stewart has been a favorite of mine for more than 25 years. And I'm certain that you are right about the dumpster fire. I've forgotten the exact timing of Stewart's departure and Tanner's arrival, but if Stewart had any influence in the hiring of Tanner, that's definitely a plus for Stewart.

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tanner, and Stewart's hiring by the Union were courtesy of minority Union owner and owner/operator of YSC Academy Richie Graham.

7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Stewart and I liked the hire. Of all the ex USMNT players who went into coaching or management, he’s had as good a resume as any imo.

I didn’t have high hopes for Jays brother, so although I’m angry and I’m done with him, there is not the layer of disappointment I have in Ernie thus far. Having said all that, he’s just doing what he was hired to do at this point, put lipstick on the pig.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he had any input on choosing G. Berhalter and it wasn't forced on him, he deserves some blame for that, I believe.

Winoman repped this.