The Official Dominic Kinnear thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  3. equakesfan

equakesfan Member

Sep 13, 2002
    San Jose
    With the success of the Earthquakes the last since Kinnear became assistant coach, How long until some other team (i.e. Dallas, Colorado) gives him a chance to be a Head coach?

4. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    I'll bet he'll wait til Yallops splits, if he ever, which i hope he doesn't.

Do the assistant coaches get payed as bad as the players?

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Probably a bit better.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Then i could see him going to another team to become head coach.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dedicated to the greatest assistant coach in MLS.

[​IMG]

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Here here. Dom is king.

9. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom to Dallas ??

This from MLSNET, just speculation at this point:

Big decision coming up in Big D – with the new stadium coming up, a missed-playoff allocation, etc – the new coach is going to be dropped into a potentially good set up. The names Ridge Mahoney mentions (Hyndman – everyone’s early fave, Johnston, Bliss) all have to be considerations. What about Kinnear? Do they try to lure Mooch Myernick from his US Soccer gig? Gotta think it’d be tough to get him away with Athens and World Cup qualifying on the horizon. Anyway, according to Mahoney, a familiar face from the Quakes will be among those making the coaching decision in Dallas.

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Dom to Dallas ??

That would be Greg Elliott, as reported in other threads, the new GM of the Burn. Elliott was a high honcho with SVS&E and really was in charge of operations with the Quakes. So Dom is very familiar to him.

Much as I'd hate to see him go, he's a good man who deserves a good chance. And does anyone else see a similarity between the situation Dom may step into and the situation Frank stepped into?

11. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Only if Dom is given Freddie Adu for 2004.

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Dom to Dallas ??

Fat chance of that, eh?

13. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Re: Dom to Dallas ??

Here's what I hope happens to Dom, in a way. Frank Yallop has been mentioned as a possible candidate to coach Canada, and would be a natural to coach in England. I love the way Yallop has led the Quakes, but I would not be surprised to see him head elsewhere to bigger and better things sometime. I'd really like to see Dom stick around, continue learning from Frank, and step up to coach the Quakes if Frank ever leaves.

Dom's from Fremont, so I suspect he would like to stay in the area, too. I hope that the Quakes in the future would be a better opportunity than Dallas now...

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Congratulations to Dominic Kinnear and his family on the birth of his third child, Grace Frances, last Wednesday! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

15. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this belongs here. It's more related to Dom. But it is regarding the coaching situation.

Anyway, from MLS Confidential:

"Quakes assistant coach Dominic Kinnear is first in line to replace Frank Yallop, who seems destined for Canada. Yet if Club America/Televisa buys the Quakes -- a longshot but not entirely impossible --Kinnear's status could be compromised. Elliott also had Kinnear on his list."

I have one thing to say, if those fishers do end up operating my Quakies and bring in their own coach, forcing Dom to Dallas (or elsewhere) I'll be pissed! So pissed I won't renew my season tickets. The idea of it just disgusts me.

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I originally posted that in the Franky thread. I didn't remember that Dom had his thread.

Thanks to the mod that moved it. :D

17. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    it's probably agreed that dom would be a natural to step in and replace frankie if he ever leaves...which we're all hoping he doesn't and decides to do a fergie on us and stay for a nearly two decades.

but does anyone really know the style that dom likes to play, is he a fan of franks system? how do the lads take to him as an assistant? would they be able to cope with frank leaving, jepordising dom's chances at being successful?

most of these questions will be vital to the health of the team for the next few seasons...then again perhaps there is a chance that frank can balance 2 managerial positions at a time...this will allow for dom to get a lot of experience while frankie does the canada thing...and should he leave, dom will already have some experience running the club the way he sees fit....

but let's face it, after sunday, there have been cults founded and sacrifices made in the name of yallop...kind of a tough act to follow....

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom has been here the whole time Franky has. He knows how Franky works, and he works right along with him. During training, he gets right in there with the boys, shouting out directions/encouragements every bit as much as (if not more than) Franky. There will be no problem with Dom stepping in when Franky leaves. As a matter of fact, I see it as vital to the future success of this team that Dom take over for Franky.

19. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Dommic America connection

Just a little trivia.
    If Club America buys the Quakes Dommic will be rejoining his old employers TELEVISA. Kinnear was the first American to be part of a mexican national champion when he played for one of TELEVISAs other teams Necaxa.

20. Rickster02

Rickster02 New Member

May 12, 2000
    Milpitas, CA, USA
    Dom for Coach (when the time comes)

In speaking with one of the Quakes regulars, the team loves Dom and it would be natural for him to take the reigns should Frankie decide to part for Canada. Not only do they respect him as a coach, but my understanding from that player is that in training, Dom is still one of the top 5 or 6 players on the pitch in practice. It would also be natural for him to stay around his hometown if he had anything to say about it. Also, even though Frank has his cult following after our glorious triumph over the fishes, I'd bet that the subs and decisions made were a joint effort and not just Franks, so theres surely some leftover credit for Dom in that respect.

21. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Dom was a possession midfielder if I remember rightly, and would fit into a midfield right along with Mulrooney and Ekelund. I'd be surprised if his desired system would be much different from the way the Quakes play today.

Also, I'm not sure Dom would have stuck around for 3 years if he didn't like what Frank was doing.

If the rumors are true about Frank taking over Team Canada, Dom would be our best bet to take over. IMHO

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dom for Coach (when the time comes)

Yeah, I'd have to bet that too. :D

23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I may chime in here, my impression is about the same as what everyone else is saying. The two are very similar in method of coaching and personality. They've been an excellent fit, almost two sides of the same coin. Both are very personable, easy to talk to. I don't see anything wrong with Kinnear being the successor to Yallop (I hate the thought of Frank leaving however, these have been some glorious years) and I hope if another i/o comes on board, that they stay with Dominic.

24. hannah8

hannah8 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    I agree Dominic would be the natural choice to replace Frank if he moves to the CNT. My question is who do you believe will become the new assistant? (Agoos? Doyle?)

Hannah

25. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    If its not Frank, it better be Dom.