The Official David Kaval thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 18, 2011.

1. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FYI spoke to my rep today. Parking prices should be out this afternoon. I believe platinum price did not go up from last year.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should refund part of the $25 per game we paid last season to park in the dirty, muddy, dark, and poorly supervised platinum lot.

tenfourteen and falvo repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No refunds for the dirty, shoddy, dark and poorly played soccer within the stadium itself? :)

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, as soon as Innocent and Lenhart pay back most of their salaries, in this alternate universe of things that will never happen.

Oh and if we get our money back when reality doesn't live up to expectations, where do I sign up to get my 2016 (and 2014) season ticket holder money refunded to me? Those teams were dirty, dark, and poorly supervised...

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha touché, you guys!

6. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, presidents of teams are generally more interested in off field issues than on field in my experience. They hire GMs and VPs of player development to deal with the on field issues. So yes I'd imagine he went to fan fest in Oakland over an academy game in SJ.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are high-tech? I thought it was classic Elton John

xbhaskarx and Earthshaker repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

tenfourteen, Earthshaker and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

FEATURE: From Baseball Diamond to Soccer Pitch - A look back at #DavesDoubleHeader

I'm a fan of both teams but this crap really makes the Quakes seem like second-class citizens (Did the A's site carry a similar story? I don't see it. They get actual baseball coverage, even though it's still preseason, not "here's Kaval at a Quakes game")...
    Kaval is a baseball guy first and foremost, and now he's understandably busy with the A's stadium plans. The Quakes need to part ways with him and get their own president, preferably a soccer guy this time.

mangerson repped this.
  12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I glanced at the article and found it offensive. Do we really need a travel diary of this privileged huckster complete with photos of his boarding pass and of him lounging barefoot in his backyard? A trip paid for with our ticket, merchandise and parking funds.

Get him out of here. And, yeah, how about soccer coverage on the website? I know that probing journalism is too much to ask for from the local scribes. But we get more fluff and garbage like this article or press releases announcing a partnership with a parking app or some other uselessness than coverage about the actual sport.

doppelganger and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I happened to have the radio tuned to the A's spring training game in Az when they brought Kaval in the both. He is a huge hero for A's fans, particularly the east bay ones. I mean, he's coming in and saying we're going to build a ballpark in Oakland. Put that in context against the Warriors bailing and the Raiders looking to bail. And they were lauding him for getting so much fan input. I guess the bar had been set really low there for a while. Talk about sitting in the cat bird seat - it is just a role with built-in success due to what he is getting to do there.

The broadcasters did correctly point out that and credit Fish as the money man behind the private-funded ballpark thing.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Two wins in a row - seems like it would be time for another Kaval's Kickoff, but I think he is too busy with A's stuff even for that.

16. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Realize this isn't an A's forum/thread, but for the record: Fisher/Wolff were going to privately finance a ballpark if it were built in $J, Fremont (see $ilicon Valley corporate support). Don't see how one gets built in Oakland without significant public financing to make up for lack of corporate support in greater East Bay (just my opinion of course). Perhaps all the happy Oakland feelings towards Fisher/Kaval will subside once the particulars come out regarding a $600 million + facility (if they can pull it off more power to Oakland/A's fans). Privately financing a $100 million SSS in $an Jo$e is one thing...

I agree with everyone though: Quakes need to be priority number 1 for ownership/team president. Just look at all the love being given to Atlanta United, LAFC (who haven't even played a game yet) and Orlando from their prospective ownership groups. No more second fiddle!

17. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    you can't use Atlanta United as an example for being a #1 priority of ownership, when it's simply a toy of the Falcons.

don gagliardi repped this.
  18. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I should have said/clarified number 1 priority OR a lot of love thrown at them. AtlantaU more of a case of lots of love given to the team by Arthur Blanks, definitely not his number 1 priority (agree). Heck, I'd rather be a toy of the Falcons than a toy of the A's (just my opinion).

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For example?

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apart from Ann Rodriguez and the Paraguayan signing, nothing much to like about Atlanta United.

The team name sucks. The color scheme sucks. The big NFL domed stadium will suck. The pretension of their circular training facility locker-room sucks. The Seattle-redux fans who reinvented soccer suck.

They've won one game, against a fellow expansion franchise that is arguably the worst team to ever suit up in MLS. If you want to crown their ass, then crown their ass. But they are who I thought they were. And just like the Falcons, they will fold in the end.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe we shouldn't take his promises so seriously. I mean those could just be things he said in a very kavalier way.

Quakes05, DotMPP, mjlee22 and 2 others repped this.
  22. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agree with some of this and disagree with some. Agree with the part about team name and color scheme, stadium, and I'm jealous a bit that they have many more supporters than us (though not as good).

As for their manager and playing style, I would argue that Atlanata is ahead of the curve in MLS. Tata is without a doubt the most pedigreed (sic?) coach in the league and he's adopting and implementing a very modern form of soccer. I like their prospects on the field. (But not on the pitch, because a pitch is something you do in baseball).

23. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or they could be simply davoid of substance.

Quakes05 and Earthshaker repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You could have filled a 50,000 seat stadium for the inaugural game in San Jose, as well.

Atlanta fans are not known for their steadfastness, otherwise they would not have lost two NHL teams, the most recent of which offered $10 seats a decade ago.

Quakes05 and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  25. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dan, let me just start by saying I'm on your side: Quakes all the way!! That said, for the future of our league (and by extension of the Quakes), we should all be rooting for Atlanta (and owners who truly give a damn) to be successful. 30k season tickets for an expansion side, an owner who's thrown good money at decent Latin American players (the kid from Venezuela's pretty good!)... I'm all for that!! BTW, do agree about the Atlanta team name but will withhold judgement on the dome for a later date..