The Official David Bingham thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of remember when I first thought Tarbell was hurt -- he was limping or being ginger when taking a kick, and it was definitely with about 3 games left in the regular season. If I noticed it, i'm sure a coach or physio noticed it. If it's bad enough for surgery as soon as the season is over, then I have to assume they knew about it weeks prior to the surgery. And still elected to keep sitting Bingham.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Tarbell had a monster game against Vancouver at Vancouver. I mean just stood on his head - his best game as a Quake. That was second to last game of regular season. Guys get little knocks during games and shake them off all the time.

And anyway, If he had some discomfort it's quite possible he didn't bring it up with the medical staff for fear of losing his spot.

It's a nice conspiracy theory but too many unknowns and variables.

3. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if i ever run into Tim Hanley again, i will try to ferret out the truth!

markmcf8 and DotMPP repped this.
  4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You are putting a lot of faith in the idea that the only goal of sports franchises is to win games. The reality is that this is not the case.

Also, I don't think making the playoffs was a reasonable expectation for the 2017 team by the time Tarbell was placed in goal. Yes, they were consistently in the hunt for the playoffs, but the Western Conference was abysmal and the Quakes had no real projection of success in the post season, even though they ended up making it due to the complete falling off the map of Dallas.

They weren't really a very good team all said and done. They were beaten by a team 5-0 that was also not all that good. Placement in the table does not a quality team make. Any other analysis into the team showed they were going to get roughly the same end result as they did, which was middle of the pack, but poor in scoring goals and much worse in suffering than they had been historically.

Given all that, I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that the Quakes would play Tarbell for reasons other than competitive advantage in games. In the best case scenario, they sacrificed short term gains for longer term gains, completing this small part of it by ridding themselves of a player they no longer wanted. Not everything is winning right here right now. The BS that coaches spew out about being competitive all the time and wanting to win every game is nice to hear said, but it's complete hogwash, really.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    A club should always be thinking about winning today with an eye towards setting yourself up for a better chance to win tomorrow. I have written many times about how you need to have that sort of multi-channel thought process, and one of my complaints about Dom is that I think he only thought about winning today.

There's a balance of course, but if you think you can do something today, and that "something" may or may not affect your chance to win today - let's say you are not sure, but it most certainly sets you up better to win tomorrow, then that is something that you might choose to do. I think that was probably the kind of rationale behind playing Tarbell. They probably figured playing Tarbell, meh, it may make the team worse, maybe the same, maybe better - it wasn't entirely clear. But most certainly it was a good move for the future, if you know that Bings is moving on.

And I don't buy the theory, at all, that the Quakes were throwing in the towel on the season. You just need to make it to the dance, and then anything can happen, especially if you get by the first round and you can host a game (and the Quakes rarely lost at home once Leitch took over).

bobby_guzman repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if that doesn't work see if you can weasel it out of him.

mjlee22 and DotMPP repped this.
  7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sick of this guy already...

New LA Galaxy goalkeeper David Bingham felt disrespected in San Jose

Bingham said he felt disrespected by Earthquakes management – and that he wasn't the only player who felt this way.

“I think there's just big differences of opinion between [the club and myself], and we knew it wasn't going to work out,” Bingham said. "And it wasn't just me. There were six other players that are actually full internationals that they got rid of, too, so it was a little surprising. But we kind of knew what was coming.”

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah full internations who can't produce! Give me a break! This isn't varsity or college soccer its the pros! Which professional sports team hangs onto players who can't or don't produce?

10. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The good news for Bungleman is that when the Galaxy sack Laurel and Hardy, um Schmid and Kinnear, and replace them with competent coaches who understand Bungleman's true potential, he won't have to find a new crib when he's on the LA Galaxy II roster. He'll probably need a roommate or two, however, to continue to afford the rent.

Someone should remind the disrespected fellow that goalkeepers can use their hands. It looks like he forgot on Wondo's goal last Saturday.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so much untapped potential that never developed, he thinks he became tim howard but he is, well, david bingham on a bad day

SJTillIDie repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is he a "full international," having rode the bench during the entire Honduras match at Avaya? Talk about being dissed.

13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1064 staudio, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    I usually don't "boo" former Quake players when they return to Avaya.....for Bing's I may make an exception

June 30th in stoppage time Wondo scores the winner on Bingham to tie LD for all time goal leader....one can alway dream....

14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, can't say I care that he's gone. The fact that he didn't think the team needed drastic changes to remain competitive in this league shows that he either does not understand the game he plays at all, or is just in complete denial about how bad of a team he played on was.

In either case, he was not a player worth spending more time on. Even if he manages to get back to being decent, he's not good enough where you really worry about it. Very few goalkeepers are that good, and MLS has no goalkeepers in the league right now who you would risk the rest of the team's growth on.

15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care that he’s gone in the sense of good riddance. LA is good fit for a whining malcontent.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Bings cherry picks stats to put himself in the best light and the Quakes midseason changes in the worst possible light. Yes the GD took a nose dive but Leitch had an equal PPG to Dom I think, and a better win percentage. And that is not counting the USOC run. GD doesn't get you into the playoffs unless you are on like the 3rd tiebreaker. And Leitch said when he started that he didn't care if they lose by a bunch of goals on the road, they weren't going to play for 0-0 ties.

He also misrepresents the state of the team when Dom left. He talks about being in 4th place but IIRC they were out of the playoffs on PPG. And besides it was going to be possibly the 3rd year in a row of not making the playoffs under Dom's system, so what was so great that we were losing? His goals against average? Hooray, let's play "Earthquakes soccer", as he called it in a previous interview, play for 0-0 on the road, bore the crap out of the fan base, optimize for Bing's goals against to advance his career, and miss the playoffs again!

17. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    that philadelphia kid is pretty good.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm 6 disrespected full internationals = ???

does that mean Bernardez, Ceren, Urena, Dawkins?, Cato?, Francis?

falvo repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You recall correctly, "place" is irrelevant in the middle of the season when teams have played a different number of games, but the Quakes were out of the playoffs by PPG before, and ended up making the playoffs after. Both Kinnear and Bingham were "0-fer" in playoff berths here... let's hope that carries over to LA.

JazzyJ repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds about right as there aren’t too many internationals on the team.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bings has earned the James Riley Medal of Disrepute. Did the Gals give him a fruit basket too?

JazzyJ and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1073 JazzyJ, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    It's always the fruit basket that turns 'em.

He also gets the Todd Dunivant "Please Let It Be LA" Award for this year, awarded to the former Earthquakes player who expresses the most glowing admiration for the greatness that is the LA Galaxy franchise. Previous winners, Alan Gordon and Landon Donovan.

TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From reddit...

[​IMG]

24. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    To play in the nets, you have to have a huge ego and a skewed sense of history or reality will drive you insane. The sad truth is Bingham was given to massive lapses, much of what was masked by a pretty decent defense in front of him. For a time he was serviceable and on some days, approached respectable. But you could quickly see he didn’t have the temperament which seems to be borne out by the comments on his locker room persona and his demonstrable petulance, which never serves a net minder well. That being said, I have grave concerns about Tarbell’s judgment as well. Without question, he's the best pure shot stopper since Busch and maybe even Joe, but his punch/collect decisions scare me. It’s a short sample size but from what I saw at the Black n Blue scrimmage drills, (and Andrew's time in the nets), Marcinkowski is the future. I had heard good things about Bersano, but I see him now as a clumsy third behind Tarbell and Marcinkowski. But I really liked what I saw in JT, maybe not in the first 20 games, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he was the starter by the end of the season.

SJTillIDie repped this.