The Official Carlos Fierro thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Looking forward to seeing him play

3. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    A bit underwhelming perhaps based on his recent playing record. But I have confidence that Almeyda knows he is a good fit for his system. So far, Almeyda's players have been good, expect maybe Lopez. And of course Lopez is still young.

4. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Iron ;)

don gagliardi and Earthshaker repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, we finally signed another Mexican player! Peter must be rolling in his grave...

Sounds like a good signing. A little dip in his career the last couple of years, but hopefully, a change in scenery will help and being reunited with the coaching staff will be positive.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good:
    So he can play more than one position. We're going to need some flexibility. And Almeyda knows him. That's good too.

BUT, we still need to sign another couple of players. Every other MLS club will be loading up. We need to improve just to keep pace. We need to improve a lot to gain any ground.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Scott Rohde repped this.
  7. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Almeyda more than knows him... he played 64 times for him. Scouting doesn't get better than that.

In Almeyda I trust.

Antonio2020, markmcf8, DasMoots and 4 others repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to introduce him with this. :)

9. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed Mexican winger Carlos Fierro using Targeted Allocation Money"

So he is a TAM player, not a DP.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Chuck. :)

chuck norris onions.jpg

11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this in principle, but wouldn't it also have been Almeyda that shipped him away from Chivas?

12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MoneyBall? It doesn't look like he's ever been worth the 2.5M the current owner paid.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much we paid for him...

14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seems unlikely that Almeyda would have been responsible for getting rid of a player. That's not typically how roster management works. At most, he failed to make a good enough argument for keeping him, but that's not the same thing.

One thing that this signing does continue to suggest is that Fioranelli isn't able to identify player talent through either himself or his staff. Almeyda certainly gets the benefit of the doubt for the time being, but I'm not any more confident now than I was during the Stahre era that Fioranelli has any clue what he's doing as a GM. He really seems to push the responsibility of scouting on his coaches. That's not at all a good thing.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes have two persons in their scouting department, which places them at the bottom of the league for all teams reporting information for Grant Wahl's ambition rankings. (A couple teams did not complete the survey). Unsurprisingly, without a robust scouting department, the Quakes rely heavily on their network of personal contacts, including those of the coach, who will obviously have an outsized voice among the technical staff. Under these circumstances, it is a misguided notion that the Quakes' GM is to blame for a problem that obviously derives from inadequate funding from ownership.

futbolloco, DotMPP, markmcf8 and 4 others repped this.
  16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Am I the only one who thinks Shea Salinas (when healthy) might keep his left wing starting position?
    That doesn't bother me at all - Shea will retire sometime so it's good to have a backup ready.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Fioranelli is unable to convince Fisher to get the scouting/analytics department to an adequate level, then that's a failure on his part. It's possible that no amount of persuasiveness would do the job, but given that they fired two coaches mid-contract and hired replacements that cost increasingly more money each, I'm not convinced it's strictly a monetary issue. It looks to me more like Fioranelli is simply comfortable relying on the "who you know" method, which if true, is unacceptable.

Even with seemingly limited resources, there are practically no clear results of the front office doing much with regard to identifying talent post Kinnear. Granted, it does look a lot like they've shifted gears to focus much more heavily on talent development (which is very likely the right decision if this shifting trend in other sports is an indication), but my fear is that the success of the Quakes will rely almost exclusively on how good the coach is, and how much good players want to play for those specific coaches.

It's precarious, since no coach stays with one team for all that long, and the Quakes have only managed to get exactly one good coach in the last decade.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How about the failure to secure a kit sponsor? Or a replacement stadium sponsor? The failure to build a training facility? The failure to place exterior cladding on the stadium? Or glass in the roof panels? The failure thus far to augment the size of the merchandise shop? The absence of merchandise in the airport or retail outlets around the Bay Area? The failure to hold more than intermittent viewing parties for away games? The failure to pay the league's best mascot a living wage? Or the failure to hire a permanent community affairs director to replace the one who quit to join tech at the end of last season, as well as her successor who quit after less than two weeks? Sure, blame Fioranelli for not coaxing more money out of ownership to rectify these numerous problems, among which I'm sure I'm forgetting several.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think Fioranelli is directly responsible for anything you mentioned, outside of maybe (but not probably) the training facility. Those aren't soccer operations things. That's why I specifically mentioned the money spent on coaching changes, as that falls under the GM.

As I said, it's not definitive that the lack in scouting is strictly monetary. There's most certainly a component of it, without question, but I doubt it's the only factor. I say this also because when money has been spent on the roster far above what was normally spent, that money has almost universally been squandered.

Returns on DPs has been marginally better than those of the Doyle era, but if you're an owner of a team, what would your takeaway be when the highest earning player on the team goes from starting to sitting on the bench because a much older and cheaper player is outperforming him, only earning that spot back due to that older player's injury?

Mine would be that my GM doesn't understand what players are actually worth in MLS, and thus, I'm not going to be extremely eager to hand over more money when it's very unclear whether or not that increased expense will yield a return.

Again, on the other hand, the team has seemingly started taking the academy much more seriously, which is where MLS teams have the biggest gains to make. If it's a choice of a more robust scouting department or a more robust academy, I'm going to side on the academy for several reasons. But you still need your scouts and analysts to provide a reason for their existence within the team, and they aren't clearly demonstrating it from where I'm sitting.

I'll say, too, that since I have no insight into how the team identifies and selects its players, I could very much be off base here, and if there is evidence that Fioranelli and staff are actually more responsible for the good signings than it appears, I'd love that. Given the types of players we've seen come and go based on who the head coach is, it just seems like they aren't actually doing much of anything other than asking the head coach who they want, and then trying to go after them. Some people actually prefer this method, I think. I'm just not one of them because I don't like the idea of the team always having to start over every time there's a coaching change.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fisher obviously disagrees with you because Fioranelli is still here.

If, for sake of argument, Fioranelli is manifestly incompetent and yet Fisher keeps him on, that's Fisher's fault, not Fioranelli's.

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is rather noticeable that Quakes staff at just about any level seems to change with the wind. "Who's my ticket rep this week?"

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, that's obvious.

25. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    They made it fairly clear during their "Ambition" survey that they have a scout in the US, a scout in Europe, some informal local team partnerships and a coaching staff with Latin American connections. So far, this year the only MLS ready starters have come from Latin America so those are from the Coaching staff since we had no previous presence. All other avenues have not produced MLS ready players.

DotMPP and LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.