The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I tend to agree, let’s talk about anything rather than the tragedy unfolding at Avaya Stadium. :D

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Yup, I was going to mention Bethesda and Pentagon being Santana Row lites and developed by FR

3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/b3dvor/louisville_city_providing_that_sweet_sweet/
    Found this on Reddit. Any similarity to Avaya is not coincidence - it was designed by the same company - HOK (according to a comment on Reddit).

capacity is 14k including standing only area.

I think you will find some design improvements as well - like the giant TV on the side which could be used to show world cup and other things. Also the 'Sponsor' Bar which a commenter says will be a full time bar.

Beerking, Goodsport, Antonio2020 and 3 others repped this.
  4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I see they're no longer even pretending about the roof. I wonder if the skin will survive...

Beerking repped this.
  5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avaya 2.0

Beerking and Scott Rohde repped this.
  6. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like how the front row (non-field level) seats look down on the field at Avaya. At the same time, that makes the row of field level seats seem oddly out of place (and rarely used.) This stadium has adjusted that design, and looks to be a good compromise at least on paper.

bobby_guzman and Goodsport repped this.
  7. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #6932 Antonio2020, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    So now USL stadiums are superior to Avaya! Love the TRUE club sections (not simply slabs of concrete with Lowes patio furniture), full time bar (can we state soccer pub), real team store (not just some shack more befitting of an outhouse) and completed roof that even overhangs to act as an outer skin! I'm telling yah: new, more committed ownership can't come soon enough!..

Beerking, bobby_guzman and Goodsport repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Goodsport repped this.
  9. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the jealousy and lack of appreciation for what people *do* have in the area. This is the attitude which drives cities to fund stadiums like Levi Stadium which is all bells and whistles.

10. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unfortunately in professional sports, those "bells and whistles" are what pays for top talent, players salaries. That's unfortunately the way it is; I didn't write the rules David (see all new stadiums in US over past decade).

As I stated before, the current Quakes can probably survive with their cheap operating ways (lack of player spending, bells/whistles at home stadia). But if/when MLS decides to become a major US sports league and loosens the purse strings substantially, we'll be screwed with the current reality. Being "appreciative of what we have" won't fly in a few years, come next decade; I guarantee it! $$$..

11. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not going to agree here. You're complaining about things like how they furnished the field level suits and translating that into competing in a theoretical world which doesn't exist. Everyone agrees the spending needs to happen on the field, and that should be the focus of the club and the fans. Only then can they justify improvements to a brand new stadium to cater to spoiled and unappreciative 'fans'. It's a beautiful stadium and everyone can be proud of. It's like a teenager complaining about having to drive a 5 year old BMW instead of a new Tesla.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  12. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, when it comes to professional sports here in the US: Either "drive the latest Tesla" (with loaded new stadiums or expensive upgrades to existing venues) or get left behind when it comes generating revenue/attracting top talent. You're right David: we'll have to agree to disagree on this one..

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of stadiums, Tottenham Hotspurs 1 billion £ stadium is about to open. London is an expensive city, yet one stadium location has beer selling for £4.00 to £5.50, which converts to $5.28 and $7.26. This is about 1/2 of what we pay at Avaya.
    Looks like Fisher is trying to finance Avaya through parking and beer sales.

Oh, and Spurs new stadium also has its own microbrewery.:thumbsup:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47687411

Beerking, Antonio2020 and bsman repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have to agree. Given that EQ ticket prices (when they aren't being given away) are solidly in the upper half of MLS (and the season ticket pricing guide is nightmarishly complicated), there is absolutely no reason that concessions should be marked up to a comical degree.

upload_2019-3-25_7-30-46.png

Beerking repped this.
  15. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    So maybe we should boycott the concessions as a way to not put money into Fisher's hand.

Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  16. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? There are different prices based on where you sit. How hard is that? There are many different prices, but that's standard in any stadium. Seems to me you're just looking for something to complain about.

Concessions I agree are very expensive, bu they are in line with prices for other sporting events in the Bay Area.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not there are different prices, it's the sheer number of them. There was an article out not long ago about this, and I think some teams had as little as 6 different price ranges, where we have two dozen. They have divided the pie as many ways as possible if they feel they can charge a little more. For many teams, a section has one price, where it looks we may have as many as four per section, depending how close you are to the field.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ordered a beer from the LOBINA last game and it was $15, which is more than expensive, it's highway robbery. I think from now on my consumption of alcohol at Avaya is just going to be based on how many bets I can win with Don G.:) If beer was let's say $7 or $8 I would probably buy two per game, now I am reluctant to buy any.
    And these exorbitant prices we are asked to pay for parking and concessions would be a little easier to stomach if we were being presented with a half-decent product on the field, rather than having to witness a decade of mediocrity.

I have had a lot of patience, but, if we are not in the playoff hunt by renewal time I am likely going to tap out as a season ticket holder and just scrounge for cheap tickets when I get the urge to see a live game.

don gagliardi, Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  19. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe we may have Tom Fox amongst us the past few posts...

Antonio2020 repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a join date of 2000, I doubt it.;)

21. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're trying to say, but 'complicated' I don't think is it. Complicated to me means it's difficult for people to figure out and make their purchase. If it had prices for buying multiple games at a time, different prices for weekday games or depending on the team record (that would be nice) then it would be complicated. I have no problem with the number of options. It allows people to buy what they want (and then move to a better seat which is almost always available.)

22. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what your reference is, but the online 'fans' just do nothing but complain about the smallest things. I find it sad we've gone from fighting to get our team back after having it moved on us to complaining about every little thing.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  23. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LOL Bobby!! I was going to say John Fisher himself .BTW, if our stadium had a microbrew on site, I would cease complaining about everything that it lacks and really become appreciative! ;)

Beerking repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, ten years of suckage mitigated by one miraculous season will do that to a fanbase. Of course, it could be worse - we could be owned by Bob Kraft and have an unblemished 23 year record of suckitude enhanced by one of, if not the, worst stadiums in MLS....

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it is not complicated, I just see it as another example of the Quakes figuring out a way to squeeze every dollar they can from the fan base. What next? Start charging more for seats on the pressbox side because it's not as windy there and the sun isn't in your eyes for most games like it is on the opposite side?