The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the first part, we have enough empty seats as it is.

So they didn't build up a dynasty for the new stadium opening in 2015 (remember Kaval saying our subpar facilities were holding us back from signing top tier players), but they'll do so for... a BART stop??

2. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The convergence of putting together a team that can contend for the cup, BART extension connecting the East Bay to the stadium, and USA hosted WC in 2026 is sure to spike interest.

It will for sure be the time to add the east side to the stadium. If not then, when?

Boysinblue and LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's great that we have a place like this, where someone can go show off their new Ferrari. I'm totally down with that, if you got it, flaunt it, just don't be an asshole and drive like a douche when you are there--which I have witnessed a few times, all of whom were driving very regular mom-pop vehicles.

4. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we like to say here in SJ...I do tend to believe it though LOL

5. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have any Bruno Magli items in my closet so I would have no idea :)

6. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do have some very nice buildings, but even those buildings are all replicates of styles that existed before they were built. Like I said, if we go by your definition, then everything here is fake, because those architectural styles already existed before anything built here.

I think what you meant to criticize are the "facades" of Santana Row's building? If that's the case I don't even know if you can call it fake in that situation, the facades are merely "homages" to the styles...

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Downtown though has buildings that have sound architecture. Same with Willow Glen on Lincoln Ave. If you look closely at those structures, they have style and character.

Santana Row has a hodge·podge of different styles , that I’m not sure if it’s French Country , Neo Classic , Gothic or if they are trying to emulate old European.

I do commend the builders or whomever came up with the concept though as people flock there for whatever reason. It was in fact a brilliant idea.

8. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an extremely brilliant idea. The fact that Santana Row is often mentioned when it comes to these kind of mixed-use developments show how much of a success it has been.

At the end of the day, doesn't matter what's "fake" or not, all it matters is what gets people to come and enjoy themselves. All those architecturally beautiful and sound buildings in Downtown did not help in getting anyone there until the Sharks showed up.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I was a kid and would go to Europe , I’d see the city streets filled with shoppers. I would come back and never understood why they came up with the indoor malls. I guess it had to do with the rain and heat which is something Santa Clara Valley. doesn’t really deal with other than a few weeks a year.

I’m interested in seeing the Coleman Highline when it’s done and what type of shopping retail district it will bring.

10. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It think it has to do with "cars". Europe doesn't have too many of those I believe LOL

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Scottsdale, Arizona having their own Santana Row-like development. Not sure which one was built first.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are there going to be any plans to open up Newhall into Santa Clara or will the residents complain that their kids can’t hear the traffic?

My grandparents told me it used to be open but that was like in the 50’s and I believe before SJ Airport became a commercial route.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How great would it be if both Newhall and Brokaw went under the train tracks to the other side....

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that is not going to happen.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6915 falvo, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    It would be a lot easier access to Santa Clara and going down Alameda to Headding and then back around to Coleman.

[​IMG]

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need to go to Hedding. Either use 880 for one exit or use the De La Cruz/Coleman overpass.

They are going to put BART on that railroad right-of-way. They aren't going to complicate things with an underground auto tunnel, especially when 880 is just one block away with an overpass over the tracks.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mostly meant for foot traffic and would be shoppers.

I always liked this in Chicago. Reminds me of the Bob Newhart show...

[​IMG]

18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    At a Transportation Conference in Belgium a few years ago, a Development Consulting firm showed slides of Santana Row praising the project and the impact it has had on mixed-use development trends not only in the US but globally. It has become a staple project in many books/plans within the industry.

My only gripe with Santana Row is the lack of planning when it comes to vehicle circulation. Due to the location of the Hotel Valencia, vehicle traffic has been allowed for loading/unloading but the core should have been planned to be a pedestrian paseo and vehicle-free zone while vehicle traffic was to be routed around an outside ring. It would open up the space for more outdoor seating space for the restaurants, more walking promenades, and cut down on conflicts between vehicles and pedestrians as well as exhaust fumes.

bobby_guzman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've heard variations of this before.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kind of like how the San Jose light tower was discussed globally in the 1880s, before someone came up with the crazy concept of building a giant steel structure in Paris.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6921 falvo, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Just giving you an idea of how downtown San Jose shopping district use to be....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From facebook. Just giving a look at downtown up until the early 1970's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    North First Street near Santa Clara Street. San Jose. 1950s.

Hoefler's Fountain Coffee Shop on right side street before Penny's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

San Jose First Street in the 1960's.

[​IMG]

The 1940's....

[​IMG]

Downtown South First Street, San Jose. 1944.
    Newberry's, Hales Bros., Mission Hotel, Hales Thrift Mart, etc.

[​IMG]

22. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A time gone by, for sure. Retail isn't going to resurrect in Downtown anytime soon, not with VF/SR in westside, Eastridge in eastside, Oakridge in southside, and the outlet malls in northeast (Great Mall), southwest (Westgate), and hella south (Gilroy). Not to mention Stanford Mall.

bsman repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think SJ’s future is going to continue to be corporate headquarters and the expansion of things like San Pedro Market. When I remember what downtown looked like when we moved here in 87, it’s already been a remarkable change for the better. I know some well-loved institutions have gone, but that’s the way of the world.

24. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For as much praise as it gets, I am not aware of any projects that duplicated what Santana Row successfully, at least not in the Bay Area. I think a good chunk of Santana Row's success comes from just being built at the right place at the right time.

In the Bay Area, maybe Bay Street in Emeryville comes the closest?

I remember reading somewhere that Federal Realty (builder of SR) has remarked that they will never attempt anything like SR again--it was considered a huge, unknown risk at the time and is still risky even now. 600,000 sqft of retail/restaurants, 1000 units of housing, a swanky hotel, and massive amounts of attention paid to details and designs. Constantly evolving, adding more housing and now building a huge office component into the project. Santana Row really is one-of-a-kind.

These massive projects fail more often than not...

25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooops, I speak too soon. My lady just reminded me of Bethesda Row, Pentagon Row, Assembly Row, and Pike & Rose in the East Coast, all built by Federal Realty.

Now I don't feel too special anymore hahha