The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, then why did you say, "Coleman Highline is boring in comparison to...."

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6852 falvo, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    That wasn't really my initial point when I posted about why players would want to come to San Jose. If you want to compare the two though and when the project is completed, it will be more boring for newcomers, visitors and out of towners.

Just looking at the pictures alone, most people would already prejudge and know where they would want to go shopping, eat at or where their hotel stay would be. I mean would people want to stay at Hotel Valencia or Hotel Avaya or whatever it’s going to be called watching the planes land?

Again I actually think Santana Row is a dumb concept and very fake but every European or Foreigner I’ve ever met loves that place and that’s the happening spot right now.

Its sad that the Coffee Society just closed at the Pruneyard. That place was there for years.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Santana Row employs some good design concepts that would work elsewhere, even without the ersatz high-end European village theme. For example, separating a restaurant's outdoor seating from the inside by way of the pedestrian sidewalk. Later, this concept was adopted piecemeal in downtown San Jose, where outdoor dining had once previously been prohibited altogether (so I've been told).

bobby_guzman repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some of the architecture is sort of characteristic. The façade of the gothic chapel was actually imported from France in pieces.

[​IMG]

The only reason on why I believe its fake is because it’s not original. In old Europe you had shopkeepers and business owners with their offices downstairs while they lived on top. I don’t think anyone who works there lives upstairs though. Not unless they are millionaires.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #6855 don gagliardi, Mar 12, 2019
    In old America, we had that, too. :)

You don't need a fancy shopping center to adapt good urban design concepts. The corner store in my lower socio-economic 'hood is built so that the people can live in back and operate their store in front. Rollo's Donuts a few blocks away is in a building designed the same way. Plenty of in-fill locations in San Jose to build shop fronts with the owners living upstairs and to build them affordably for boot-strap business start-ups.

Hertel Avenue in Buffalo.jpg

Hertel Avenue in Buffalo, down the street from its soccer bar.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    An even smaller example, also down the street from the soccer bar.

mastman's deli.jpg

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would give my eye teeth if we could get a REAL kosher deli in San Jose! I’ve lived here almost 32 years, and there’s been nothing of the sort.

8. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6858 raindawg, Mar 12, 2019
    I don't know. If I were a soccer player with any ambition, I'd rather play for a team like KC with a good front-office, coach and a chance to win something even if I have to deal with less than desirable weather.

Sitting around in the sun while others are playing playoff soccer would get old after a year or two for me....

TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6859 falvo, Mar 12, 2019
    Big timers yes but not everyone is a D1 player. There are so many mid level guys or even bench warmers who never really get a chance to shine. When you look at the rosters of top clubs, there is a long international list of foreign players. You have national team players on the bench. That does nothing for them as players or their careers. One day soon, I envision many players wanting to come here or MLS. Maybe not now or in five years but in the next 6-10 years, things will change drastically.

Also, things are changing rapidly in Europe. England is voting to get out of The EC just today. Italy is in a recession and France isn’t all that great either. I wouldn’t put too much importance on Ligue 1 other than PSG. Living in Spain or Portugal is not all that great either. I lived there and I can assure you it’s not the greatest continent on earth and not everyone is living like Messi, CR7 etc.

There are so many things we all take for granted but we are all very lucky to be living here. That’s a fact.

due time and bobby_guzman repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Preach it.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It would be over a million in San Jose, but you're paying for the weather. :)

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6864 falvo, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Looking at the square feet, it would be at least $2.5 million in San Jose. I see that snow there which will never happen here either. The pub must not have been doing well though if it’s for sale.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My cousin who lives there says it’s s dump.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've patronized a lot worse. :)

18. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This thread:

upload_2019-3-13_15-48-13.jpeg

Beerking and DotMPP repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But it was fine yesterday when we were discussing kosher delis? :)

21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, that’s one post amongst two pages of discussion about shopping malls, European shops, etc... :)

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Alright, back to Avaya. Thought of you when I was reading on the Bills' fans' internet board recently. Someone posted there that New Era Field has the worst visitors' locker room in the league. Yup, I figured, that's MY team. :)

23. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is up with the giant subwoofers on reverb tied to the dumb ass drum? It's almost unbearable to stand behind the LOBINA goal. I can't believe the league allows them to blast opposing goal keepers with that manufactures sound.

Beerking, bsman and bobby_guzman repped this.
  24. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THe retro building style is all over, if you want to see the originals, book a flight to the Continent. BTDT, twice.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6875 falvo, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    I may have been guilty of it too but at least most of the latest posts deal with or relate to San Jose and its vicinity. Posting about stadiums half way around the world have no business or anything to do with the thread.