The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ain't gonna happen.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Last year, we had the option to get team generated paper tickets for free. I guess I'll just print out the full page Ticketfast tickets from the account manager, a lot less environmentally friendly than old school paper tickets. I don't have a smart (makes you stupid) phone.

Here's a free workaround. Go to the box office on game day and ask for paper tickets with your account number and photo id in hand. Should work. The only free option for people without a smart phone or free printer access.

DotMPP repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I called my rep today to ask for actual tickets. He said he would add me to his list with others making the same request (seems I'm not alone) and would get them to me sometime in February when the "ticket stock" arrives from Ticketmaster. He said the tickets could not simply be generated from his computer. I thought that was odd, since last season my prior rep simply spit out the entire season from her computer. Last season's tickets did not have pretty pictures like in prior years but they were real tickets and printed for free; maybe this season's tickets will be more collectible for the $15 fee?

5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Well I'm glad I don't have to pay for you inefficient dinosaurs! ;)

DotMPP repped this.
  6. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Count on getting the same or similar generic tickets as last season, once the 2018 ticket stock arrives. Someone other than my rep printed my 2017 free "Avaya Stadium" tickets because their unfamiliar and now forgotten name was on the receipt ticket.

7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this is a duplicate. I just saw this on sfgate

SL East Bay looks to Concord for stadium
    According to a report in the East Bay Times, USL East Bay has sent a proposal to the City of Concord to build their soccer stadium on a vacant property next to the city’s BART station.

Real Estate Developer Mark Hall has proposed to the city of Concord to secure an exclusive negotiating agreement to study the feasibility of building a 15-18,000 seat stadium on the property bound by Oak, Laguna, Galindo and Mt. Diablo streets.

The development property will also have a convention center, hotels, and shops.

“A well-conceived stadium complex can become a game-changing economic generator for the right area,” Hall wrote in a letter to the city.

Hall announced USL East Bay in December. The club plans to play their first season in 2021.

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have some experience in print buying? Should they be charging less?

(I'm assuming you want the pretty ones if they're even an option anymore...)

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? You pay $1100 apiece for season tickets and they can't give you 20 little pieces of paper? Like they used to always?

(and yes, I do have some experience in print buying).

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  10. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's out of reason to assume they have no ticket printing system in their office other than the ones down in their box office that print out single tickets which then have to be manually loaded into an envelope and mailed to you... It's also safe to assume that the cost of that process is now not factored into our season ticket prices so asking for $15 per account to do that seems pretty reasonable to me...

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Next you're going to tell me they're eliminating these? :)

ticket turnstiles.jpg

SeaJayBee and DotMPP repped this.
  12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    So what's the damage now, cash wise, for parking?

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were too efficient, Don.

Kind of like paper tickets versus someone fiddling with their phone in line in front of you trying to pull up their tickets.

DotMPP repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the Platinum lot it went from $600 to $660 for a season pass. It looks like Silver went up from $300 to $320. I think the per game price stayed the same.

15. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The reps print out tickets in the office. They don't have to go downstairs to the box office. I don't know the exact office layout, but they have done it for me plenty of times for extras or other Avaya matches. Almost always, they stuck the tickets into an envelope and sent them to me, as I requested. Not anymore. Now, I must use a whole sheet of paper and lots of extra printer ink for ads and such to generate my tickets or pay a surcharge. Real environmentally friendly there and forward thinking, Quakes. Mobile tickets are probably no better because of the power requirements and rare earth mineral manufacturing components, not to mention the gross business model of planned obsolescence.

16. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for the face recognition system at the gate where you just walk up, look and it pops open the "BART Like" turnstile to let you in. :):thumbsup:

17. GrandaddyFranco

Nov 18, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So just wondering... will the Ultras be on the lower supporter section, or still scattered above? Buying tickets in the area for opening night.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they really squeeze a 15K to 18K stadium into three acres? And how would they have room left over for anything else?

Also, do they really need a stadium that size? USL teams are lucky to draw more than six to eight thousand. Sure, Sacramento is doing much better, but they are the exception.

And when do we get a new sponsor for our stadium? Are Avaya on board through the end of this season?

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Cell phones can be used for many things, whereas a printed Quakes ticket can be used for only one thing. We have a ways to go before we are making "environmentally friendly" cell phones (and concerned citizens should start pushing for improvements in this area), but I think it is the right way to go over time. They reduce the need for many other things that bear their own carbon footprint (land line phones, land lines, calculators, small computers, cameras, flashlights, MP3 players, GPS devices, scanners, etc.).

xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 74x115 yard pitch, plus 20 yards surrounding it in all directions, is 3.65 acres, so no, it's not likely they could build there without bringing in some of the surrounding properties.

Already a thread about Concord here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/usl-in-concord.2080756/

mjlee22, markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Ouch. :(

22. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not if you have to replace your phone every year or two. Our computers usually last around eight years. I bought our printer in 2003. Still works fine even with Windows 10. Landline phones last 20 years at least.

Planned obsolescence is the business model. Resist it.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #5423 JazzyJ, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    As I said, we are not there yet in terms of "environmental friendliness" of cell phones, but I think it's the right direction. If we can focus on improving that, instead of worrying about how to make a half a dozen different types of devices it replaces eco-friendly, we can get there faster. And we are making some headway already.

I think part of the problem with obsolescence is the on the consumer wanting to have the latest and greatest thing. I used the same phone for 5 years, and would have used it longer if the screen wasn't cracked into 50 different pieces. Instead of whining about corporate greed we can get involved as consumers and demand more eco-friendly phones. Companies like Apple would innovate in this area if they felt it was important enough to consumers. This could even be the next big area of innovation in cell phone technology but the demand has to be there.

Your 2003 printer still works fine, but how are the reams of paper you used to print on or the used ink cartridges doing? And your computer may have lasted 8 years, but how much power has it consumed, and then when it's time to dispose of it, you've got a hunk of ewaste that is 5-10x bigger than a cell phone.

24. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can recycle paper and ink cartridges. I would recycle my game tickets, except that I like to save them. Printer ink is a huge ripoff, no doubt. The size of the device does not directly correlate to the amount of e waste. We are minimalists and use things until they no longer function and can't be fixed.

Consumer demand is not driving the tech companies. It is the other way around, and it won't change because......profits and fashion. The smart phone is a luxury item. It will never replace a desktop, even a laptop, computer, at least in our household. Cloud computing has huge power requirements that aren't part of your calculation.

SalinasQuakesFan and SeaJayBee repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #5425 JazzyJ, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    There is no business without demand. Consumers can change the behavior of the cell phone producers. It is up to us. A cell phone is no more a "luxury item" than a desktop or laptop computer, land-line phone, camera, or GPS device. We could get by w/o any of them, and we could get one that serves the function of most or all of them in one device. Not everyone feels that they need a desktop or laptop anymore. You are rejecting the "fashion" / trend aspect of the cell phone market, and not thinking about them in terms of their utility.

Cloud computing is prevalent in all computing now, whether you are running a desktop, laptop, or cell phone, and it can be a net positive environmentally because you are sharing resources rather than duplicating them on everyone's desktop. You get the resources in the hands of the subject matter experts who will do all kinds of optimizations to increase efficiency and lower cost. Let's say for example there is a new type of high speed, low power / cost memory device. The cloud computing provider makes the upgrade and everyone benefits, vs. having the older less efficient technology stuck on everyone's desktop for the next 10 years.

Not surprisingly, companies that have invested billions making the cloud-based infrastructure we've come to know and love are deeply interested in their ability to prove the cloud's advantages — but they're also interested in how it all impacts the environment.

Google, for one, has teamed up with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to investigate the possibility of increasing efficiency, and the results are promising. Scientists speculate that in the near future, we could potentially power all of Los Angeles for a year with the kilowatts saved by moving common apps to the cloud.