The Official PayPal Park thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thinking creatively! You could either have two hanging scoreboards from the goal end roofs (St. Mary's Stadium, England) OR leave one corner open for scoreboard placement similar to Orlando's SSS. As always, just my opinion..

2. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Yes of course!

3. bannerman

bannerman Member

Dec 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or do like Old Trafford, where thousands of seats have no view of a scoreboard at all. (But they can all see the sideline ad boards.)

4. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
    What happened to the initial plan of spelling out "Earthquakes" in the stands? Why did they decide on the mosaic seating pattern instead?

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Earthshaker repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They anticipated they would need a way to help disguise the fact that the games aren't selling out.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Thanks for the clarification! I don't think it's working very good.

10. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We attended the match. I didn't hear about this incident until reading about it here and just seeing the TV report. Probably over hyped by the media and the cops. Inside the stadium was boisterous, family friendly and just plain fun.

The match was a little lackluster, perhaps because I was comparing it to Friday's wonderful WCQ. Usually, I find these Liga MX friendlies entertaining, largely because the technical skills of the players are overall superior to those of MLS players. Not true in comparison to the national team players.

The entrance logistics were sub-standard. Gates did not open until 3 PM for a 4 PM match, causing long lines and overall confusion without any direction from security or stadium staff. Unlike for Quakes games, one couldn't put metal objects in a bin before walking through the metal detectors, so everyone got a pat down or a secondary wand inspection. Why?

I alerted a Quakes staffer inside who reported my concerns, which seemed to alleviate the biggest problem: a long, unnecessary line winding down Coleman that fed just one security lane. With some common sense and guidance, security staff probably got people moving more expeditiously.

Many people got to their seats late, even with a 4:30 kickoff with a 4:00 start time on the ticket. It looked like a real sell out. The temp bleachers are gone, but the drink rails are not yet reinstalled.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting commentary re Old Trafford. Large, overwhelming scoreboards seem to be more of an American stadia phenomenon. Most European stadiums, not so much..

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I reviewed the archived stories from the last couple days on KRON's news and sports pages, and did not see any video or text about the World Cup qualifier at the same stadium two days earlier.

I did see this bit of misinformation, though:
    http://kron4.com/2017/03/25/san-francisco-gets-its-first-pro-soccer-team/

bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, well, news you know.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    See my prior post. KRON did not even cover the World Cup qualifier, so by comparison reporting on a melee in which no one was seriously hurt or arrested is just run-of-the-mill fake news.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The media's abdication of its role to report what is meaningful instead of what is sensational does more violence to our country than a few Mexican soccer fans throwing rocks.

"Facts" are effectively lies when they are selectively edited. Editorial judgment matters.

due time, bobby_guzman and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Above the stands on both ends or perhaps to the corners.

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well...yes. But we are in the era of click-bait news. And the media channels that have tried to hold the line have found themselves on the losing side. The great paradox is here is that the public says it wants "real" news, but the mouse clicks and tv surfing tell the truth: what the collective public wants is sensationalism.

bobby_guzman and mjlee22 repped this.
  18. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are ALL so deplorable

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4594 falvo, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

They don't look that bad in these pictures though....

[​IMG]

Goodsport repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A paved road in the woods doesn't look bad, either. But it ain't exactly Fallingwater.

road in the woods.jpg

Fallingwater.jpg

bobby_guzman repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just curious, were they the same bleachers they had at Buck Shaw or were they new?

[​IMG]

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4597 Goodsport, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    They're probably not from Buck Shaw Stadium, but it's hard to tell whether they're brand new or if they're used/rented.

Either way, though, both the added bleachers and the properly-widened playing field immensely improved Avaya Stadium. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

As for those people hanging around the LOBINA wanting to watch the game: either go back to your seat and watch the game live or continue hanging out at the LOBINA and watch the game on the multitude of 4k TV's strewn across the bar. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

xbhaskarx and Antonio2020 repped this.
  23. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That photograph says attendance was 17,729. So not a sell out of 18,000? Did the bleacher's add capacity? Probably not because we are limited to 18K.

Ticket prices were too expensive IMO. I didn't enter the lottery because the lowest price was like $125.

24. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ticket prices were too expensive in my opinion as well, but the ones I got via the lottery were only $86 total each. And thought were pretty good seats/view as well. Was also pleased that stayed dry even though was down in row 13 (am higher up for Quakes games).

ProShot_20170324_195326.jpg

25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES. Giants ballpark interior looks pretty much like every other ballpark, except for the slides and shit. Niners interior? Looks like your average football stadium in Anywhere, USA.

Warriors and Sharks arena interior are all cookie cutter. All arenas are the same inside save for 2 vs 3 decks.

But Avaya Stadium's interior integrates with the open end and having LOBINA makes it stand out among all soccer stadiums. I love that I can take my kids to the stadium, let them run on the lawn, and can still look INTO the field and see players play live.

Yes, I am one of those people who hang out half the time at LOBINA area. All good.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.