The Official Australian "Wonderkids" Thread- The Future Generation. (Long Post)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by EPL4LIFE, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    I wouldn't disagree with some. But I wouldn't bag out Hardy like that. It's very unfortunate for him, that injury has apparently killed what could have been a decent career path for him.

Williams still has some way to go. And yeah the Brondby move hasn't been as good as hoped. But hey, the Olympics are just around the corner now and he's a key Olyroos attacker. I expect he's one of the Olyroos who could benefit most from the Olympics, in terms of landing a better scenario at club level.

Jamieson is a wait and see. Just because he's moved to the A-League with a club where he'll likely have a very good chance of first team, does not mean his career is essentially failure. Albeit on the contrary and as evidenced by your assessment of guys like Cameron Watson, it's not soo easy for some of your young talent to even break into the A-League. And the A-League, infact Adelaide United, is the place which launched Djite and Burns. And now Djite atleast, is set for a very promising immediate future in Europe. Patafta one could say did struggle in his attempt to 'launch' his senior career at Melbourne. But I think we're sensing that Newcastle could be, what Adelaide was to Burns and Djite, but then, here we go again, call the hype police.

No doubting, we can tend to hype up our young kids a little, prob too much sometimes. But that's natural. But I don't think we're that bad either - many of us know, that ust because they might be at a good club now, doesn't mean they'll end up playing EPL for Arsenal or la Liga for Barcelona or something.

But Wonderkids can be a misleading title, I agree. BUT yeah, a majority of the kids brought up in this thread are NOT Wonderkids. But so what? That's the fun of this thread, we bring up random kids out from here and there, those who may only have a modicum of potential. But hey, like a lottery or something, some of those we may accidently have picked correctly? So basically this thread is like some sorting line - we throw up as many half talented kids we've heard of and then eventually as time goes by we see how many, actually were able to make it. Obviously only a small % in terms of succeeding in Europe. I admit, if this thread would not be a good Darts player, but then, we make the Bullseye fairly big, I guess (Cheat, by having such a broad definition of Wonderkid, that soo many far from being Wonderkids, are included here).

Matthew Spiranovic we chatted about here, back in his days with Victory. But while he had a fair bit of potential and was very young at the time, many of us, well myself atleast, did not expect to see him rise sooo far.

As too James Troisi. Sure the kid has yet to even play proper club first team yet, but his stature within the NT set up has launched from 0 not long ago, to something I would've certainly never have thought, at this stage of his career. But yeah, at club level, he still has quite some way to go, but one presumes he's on the cusp of fixing up that scenario very soon. He, like Spiranovic, has risen to a status, at this stage of his career, I for one, would not have imagined.

Bruce Djite and Nathan Burns. Djite's rise in just say, 3 months even, let alone 18 months, has been phenomenal. I'm still getting used to the idea, that Djite is a Socceroos regular now, actually a squad fixture already.

There are some others. A few are ofcourse 'to be continued' (Especially see Olympics) as with all footballers. Many may never be capped with the NT. Some as hinted here, may actually be capped with NTs from overseas.

BTW On a side note, many listed by us, now would not qualify as Wonderkids per say, as some of this lot are very much 22,23 years of age or even older and anyone over 20 I would no longer consider a 'kid' in football terms, especially if they've made first team set ups, be it Europe or A-League. Guys like Patafta, Troisi and Spiranovic are all leaving, or left the age range of Wonderkid, like within the past 6 months (Through their age and first team status').

So guys like Kilkenny, while obviously his career still has a bit of a watch this space element to it, mainly due to the Olympics. But at 23, the guy is long past being any sort of a kid now. But yeah, due to the breadth of time this thread has covered, when first discussed here, he WAS around 20.

lol this thread has been around since mid 06, it will be strange to see the first batch of Wonderkids hitting 30 soon enough :p

2. cool_cat2007

cool_cat2007 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I think the message is loud and clear, STAY AT HOME UNTIL YOU ARE READY!!!

3. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The a-league isn't the end of a career. Returning did wonders for Carney and hopefully the other guys who have come back can improve their game and give Europe another shot.

4. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Didn't EPL4Life say he was going to open up a new wonderkids thread shortly??? Said it awhile ago and haven't heard about it since.

5. socceroo_06

socceroo_06 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    He did, no idea what happened to him.

I agree with most of your sentiments. I think there will be some very good players from that list, but to brand them "Wonderkids" is a bit much unless they are playing 1st team football.

Viduka and Kewell are really the only true wonderkids Australia has ever had. Spiranovic is looking good, but i think the key for young Australians is to play as much 1st team senior football as possible in order to develop. There is no use going overseas if you are just going to play reserves/youth.

Also to all the kids heading over to England to EPL Academies, good luck, because only one Aussie has ever made it through the system and become a success story and that is Harry Kewell.

6. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Alright I thought it was time to give this thread a bump from dusty old page 4 :eek:.

Used to be my favourite thread on this board and it's sad to see it's neglect.

Heres some news:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25470273-5006373,00.html

An 18yo striker already getting games in Serie B. If this guy does alright at Albinoleffes he could fly past a few of our current guys. At the very least I hope Versleijen gets him into some Under 20 camps. Looks like a great prospect.

7. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Definitely worth a shout out to over an idiot like Matt Simon.

8. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We had better not let opportunities like these evade us. We lost Vieri, and look what happened there...let's learn from history.

9. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    One year on:

Rostyn Griffiths - Short term signing at AU, haven't heard from him since.

Scott Jamieson - Hardly needs to be said, had a ********ing belter of a year, is potential Chippers replacement, has been trialling with Groningen. Definate prospect even if stays another year at AU.

Kaz Patafta
    - LOL

Cameron Watson - is an American actor, screenwriter, and director, best known for playing Bart Fallmont in the TV miniseries Dynasty: The Reunion. Oh, you mean the other guy. Allegedly he's been training with GCU.

Dez Giraldi - Dubbed 'GirLOLdi' by SFCU, was repeatedly used as injury replacement due to his possession of embarrassing photographs involving John Kosmina, two tubs of floor wax, furry handcuffs and the complete Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figure collection.

Neil Kilkenny - Had a good season at Leeds but will stilll be playing League One.

David Williams - Struggling with injury and has had a frustrating season.

James Troisi - Has a club, goals, etc. Will we see him in against Japan/Bahrain?

10. euroos

euroos New Member

May 11, 2009
    Bonn, Germany
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    these lists are always ridiculous as it is so difficult for young aussies to fulfil their potential. i mean young aussies have to prove themselves twice, in australia and then abroad. i makes it soo much harder. thats why we see these lads just head off straight to europe (ie kewell.) and try there luck. sometimes though that can be a bad experience and it all goes downhill. on that note, its good to see someone like Jamieson bounce back from being released by Bolton and doing well in australia. its a good example.

but the youngsters we should be looking forward to seeingmore from,
    Nathan Burns (AEK)
    Dean Bouzanis (Liverpool)
    Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough)
    Chris Herd (Aston Villa)
    Matt Spiranovic (Nurnberg)
    James Troisi (Genclerbirligi)
    Nikita Rukavytsya (Twente)
    Ryan McGowan (Hearts)
    Rob Stambolziev (Bristol City)

11. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just wondering, what sort of path would you take if you wanted a shot at becoming a professional footballer?
    I live in Tassie, but really want to make it. Any advice?
    Cheers.

12. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Apparently, dont go to the AIS. They'll ruin your career. :eek:

How old are you?

IMO, you would be better off staying as far away from the current crop of A-League coaches as possible. If you can move to Europe, you will be much better off, where the knowledge of the game has been developed and there are a lot of coaches who know how to get the best out of a player.

If you are under 18 and want to leave the country to play football, you will need your parents to go with you as long as they are going for their own benefit and not yours.

13. VicPremierLeague

VicPremierLeague New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I know of a number of young guys (none on this list) that have all attempted European trials in the last couple of years.
    I’ll use this example:
    One 15yo in 2006 and two 16 year olds last year in 2008. Each came back with a positive experience, and each pretty much related the same thing. Typical statements they made were… “They play so much one-touch-and-go play it’s unbelievable”. “I was encouraged to try something and I’d actually get the ball back.” “They don’t hold onto the ball”. “It was so fast there wasn’t time for decision making.” “No one bawled us out for not being strong enough, instead they worked on our shielding.” “It was just so different.”

Its worth noting, the 3 were all given a choice. Stay here and we’ll make a decision when you are 18, or go back home (to Australia) and come back when you are 18. They had very explicit homework.
    1. Play one touch even if you get criticized for it. (And you will be for sure because it's not going to work yet)
    2. Learn how to re-win the ball once you’ve lost the ball by following Instruction Nr 1.
    3. Don’t play with a lingering injury. Be smart. Rest.
    4. Enjoy what you do.
    5. If you do all that. Come back.

I’m not trying to be off-topic, merely relating the experiences of a few guys that are trying their hearts out, but keeping under the radar. (Or as Hans Berger might say, working on the late-bloomer syndrome.)

14. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    This thread needs some fresh faces that haven't been mentioned yet or some that probably have. 16-19 year olds(and a few 20's) who are based in Europe and in Australia..i might of missed out on quite a few but these ones just stuck out to me as i was reading through a massive list of Australian players. Surely we can uncover a fair amount of good players from this? It would be absolutely criminal if all of these guys turned out to be a Michael Ferrante or Nathan Coe

Aaron Mooy - Bolton
    Adrian Uchino - Frosinone
    Alex Baird - Derby County
    Alex Cisak - Leicester City
    Ben Kantarovski - Newcastle Jets
    Billy Tsovlos - Portsmouth
    Bradden Inman - Newcastle United
    Cameron Parish - Preston North End
    Chris Herd - Aston Villa
    Christian Esposito - Albinoleffe
    Daniel Ireland - Coventry City
    Dean Bouzanis - Liverpool
    Dylan Tombides - West Ham
    Francesco Stella - AC Siena
    Jack Watts - Barnsley
    Jason Davidson - Pacos de Ferrieira
    Julius Davies - Bayern Munich
    Kearyn Baccus - Real Mallorca
    Kofi Danning - Sydney FC
    Liam Jacob - Liverpool
    Mark Birighitti - Adelaide United
    Mathew Leckie - Adelaide United
    Matthew Fletcher - Sunderland
    Matthew Pike - West Brom
    Nick Kostadinoski - Doncaster
    Patrick Meehan - Sheffield Wednesday
    Paul Giannou - Kavala
    Reece Caira - Aston Villa Although isn't he banned from playing till he's 18?
    Robert Stambolziev - Panathinaikos
    Robert Tall - Espanyol
    Ryan Gazet Du Chattelier - Portsmouth
    Ryan McGowan - Hearts
    Scott Neville - Perth Glory
    Shane Lowry - Aston Villa
    Steve Masseli - Vicenza
    Theo Markelis - Valencia
    Thomas Oar - Brisbane Roar

15. VicPremierLeague

VicPremierLeague New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    How is Ryan going at Portsmouth? Knew him from U15s. I saw him practising at Darabin a few months ago when I was watching the Institute Challenge. Unfortunately, by the time I got a proper chance to speak to him, he'd packed up and gone.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  17. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    At 12, no one is guaranteed to be successful. Wait until he is about 18 to see how he has matured.

18. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    Jason Davidson just made his debut for Portugese side Pacos de Ferreira:

Promising stuff

19. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  20. ferreira86

ferreira86 New Member

May 21, 2008
    melbourne
    His dad was very good. Good to see jason get a run against porto. At 18 he will be one of the younger players going around in the liga sagres.

21. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I've been coaching at NPL level in NSW since 2013 and I think there are many reasons for this (not to say that there aren't more). I wish I could go to Europe and spend some time at at club like Ajax, Barca or Sporting who are known for youth develop and it would help me compare the two.

Some of the problems I've seen (in no particular order):
    • Football spaces to train (training on pitches without lines, goals, etc)
    • Cost of playing
    • Politics in clubs not being able to sign the best talent and instead signing someone's son which means kids train with players that should be better and in turn push them to improve and it also weakens the youth competitions
    • Coaching - a lot of coaches get jobs because they are experienced instead of being in line with the new curriculum
    • Players aren't good enough technically and many don't do anything about it
    • Some schools don't allow kids to play at recess/lunch due to risk of injury
    • Parents - I was let go by a famous NSL side midway through last year because I created an environment where the youth players had to improve even though they were the best players in the team (and a lot of other politics)
    • Players get an ego when they make rep teams even though they shouldn't be comparing themselves with the best in Australia but the best in the world.

22. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This. When watching the 2016 U-17 squad who all played for AIS, I thought to myself there's no way these kids were the best we had to offer. I felt they were there not because of their skills but because they could afford to play.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  23. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Do they pay to be in the AIS?

It's hard to pick the 20 or so best players for that age. The AIS is important but what happens at NPL level is the most important. That's where the play pool is and that's where the focus should be.

24. DrFootball1

DrFootball1 Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Brussels
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Panos Armenakas is doing a nice job in Italy this season. 4 goals & 2 assists in 11 primavera games.

La Trucha and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  25. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fast forward to 2019, he’s now with Panathinaikos and has made a few senior appearances.

I still lol at the OP every time I see this thread haha