The Official Australian "Wonderkids" Thread- The Future Generation. (Long Post)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by EPL4LIFE, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah, that's true actually. He's barely even started Primary School. His comprehension of English should be ok, if he's in year 1, but then, he may not even speak English that well, by the time he's in his 20s, unless he learns it again at school.

It's all weird really. We're talking about a 6 year old here. It's kind of perverse. Is his career already shaped for him? Has he lost his childhood, perceived childhood, already? So he'll be shipped from the Slovak academy, to AC Milan, then others, throughout his youth?

Hopefully this kid won't be screwed up by his teens, on drugs or something. Kind of reminds me of those 'Tennis Parents' or even those 'Freak Beauty Pageant' Parents. Obviously the Dad does transfer some of his own complexes, with his days of training at, but not progressing at, AC Milan. This Dad probably sees it as his '2nd chance' at AC Milan. :(

2. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I was hoping the article would be taken with a grain of salt - spark some debate maybe. It is pretty fuct making a six year old get so serious about something.

3. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Melbourne Victory 2 (Kevin Muscat 28’ pen, Rodrigo Vargas 66’)
    Chunnam Dragons 0
    Wednesday, 12 March 2008
    Telstra Dome, Melbourne
    Referee: Malik Abdul Bashir
    Crowd: 23,656

Melbourne Victory: 1.Michael THEOKLITOS (gk), 2.Kevin MUSCAT (Captain), 6.Steve PANTELIDIS, 7.Matthew KEMP, 9.Danny ALLSOPP, 10.Archie THOMPSON, 12.Rodrigo VARGAS, 14.Adrian CACERES (21.Sebastian RYALL 59’), 18.Leigh BROXHAM, 22.Nick WARD (13.Kaz PATAFTA 74’), 24.Billy CELESKI (17.Daniel VASILEVSKI 88’)

Substitutes not used: 3.Daniel PIORKOWSKI, 15.Leandro LOVE, 19.Evan BERGER, 20.Mitchell LANGERAK (gk)
    Yellow cards: Danny Allsopp 79’

Chunnam Dragons: 4.JUNG Inhwan (6.Jasenko SABITOVIC 66’), 8.KIM Taesu (Captain), 12.LEE Sangil, 16.LIM Kwan Sik, 17.LEE Junki, 18.Victor Simoes DE OLIVEIRA, 19.JU Kwangyoun, 21.YEOM Donggyun (gk), 22.KIM Seongjae, 25.LEE Hyuro (11.Sandro Hiroshi PARREAO OI 38’), 30.YOO Hongyoul (9.SONG Jung Hyun 66’)

Substitutes not used: 13.LEE Yunpyo, 24.CHO Min Hyuck (gk), 26.JEONG Junyeon, 27.LEE Sang Yong
    Yellow cards: Kim Seongjae 55’, Kim Taesu 72’, Ju Kwangyoun 90’

4. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Ah well Kaz got 16 or so minutes. That's atleast better than say Vasilevski's useless 3 minutes or so.

But yeah, with Carlos out, I'd wish Merrick would start Kaz. But I see with the arrival of Celeski, it means just another relatively older, stronger and more seasoned player that Kaz has to compete with. This does not bode well for Kaz, for the remaining 2 matches. He won't be starting either it seems, unless, forbid, there's more injuries.

5. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He should have a talk with Benfica about them loaning him out to a different Australian team. Unlike Melbourne Victory, I'm sure there are other A-league teams out there that would love to have and play him (Only other team I see that would place him on the bench for so long would be Sydney FC).

6. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What Sh!ts me is that Merrick brought him over knowing kaz would sometimes struggle with the physical stuff and then used that as a reason for not playing him. If he knew that why the fuk did he waste Kaz's time!! It's not fair on the kid, especially considering the lack of a youth/reserves league here. I reckon Merrick got scared at the beginning of the season when the results weren't great and didn't have the balls to play him - when thats exactly what he should have been doing!! Kaz had the potential to break open some of those games he didn't play and we subsequently drew or lost. Whats scary is that Merrick was the head coach of the VIS for what 10 years and he's got probably the most gifted young number 10 in Australia sitting under his nose and doesn't see it!!!

7. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    IN-DEED

But yeah, his loan deal is almost over. Merrick/Kaz have one last chance to give the boy a chance/prove himself.

Hopefully a double negative can be avoided. That is, that Benfica may look at his lack of first team at Melbourne as a sign that he may not be as capable as they thought previously. But hopefully this does not negatively impact future loan deals.

Another A-League club next season is an option, but he only has 1 year left on his Benfica contract and he's had his full season and a bit here in Australia. I think he needs to get back to Europe, get another loan deal or 2 there, in his final year and impress those managers/clubs as much as he can, so they may be interested in signing him.

Hopefully Kaz can make a move to the Eredivise, when his contract runs out. Maybe a 6 month loan deal to the Dutch 2nd division club should be arranged? Preceded by maybe a 3-4 month loan deal in the Portuguese 2nd Division?

8. cool_cat2007

cool_cat2007 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I'd wish people would stop defending this guy. I mean, yes he has skill....but he has yet produce the goods in games. He was in and out of Benfica's reserves teams (also flopped at most youth tounraments), and these teams certainly don't rely as much on the physical attributes as the game in OZ.

He will probably mature late, like a Nick Carle. He's a poor mans Nick Carle at the moment. If he's good enough, he can make it anywhere. but he's lacking in other departments, and appears to be lazy and slow a lot of the time. Reports from Europe appear to be indicating he is choking up big time.

He has been given opportunities, but has flopped more times than not. Merrick I'm sure has perfectly legitimate reasons for not playing him.

9. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Then why bring him back here. At least he was getting games in Benfica youth. I happen to agree with you on the rest, I haven't seen anything in him yet to justify the "great player" tag that seems to have been given to him, but why bring a player out of what is a vastly superiour youth system just to sit him on the bench.

10. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The reason Benfica picked him up was because he kicked ass in one of the youth tournaments for the young socceroos. And its no wonder he hasn't "produced the goods yet" as he hasn't been given the opportunity (at least here) to make an impact!! And he's been good - even if he's not been outstanding - in the games he's been given the opportunity to play. As for flopping at Benfica he was actually getting into some good form towards the end of his stay there. He only came back because Portugal got rid of their reserves/or youth league?? Anyway, I have also read that he sometimes doesn't have the best work ethic but I guess thats something that Kaz needs to work on.

11. cool_cat2007

cool_cat2007 New Member

Feb 20, 2007

You'd have to ask Merrick this. It could be many things that have changed his opinion of the kid over the course of the loan deal. but yeah, i get where u are coming from but i don't think anyone is guaranteed a spot for that sole reason. Benfica most of all should know, we are a professional league, and no one just walks in to a team (especially an unproven youngster). Merrick may like him as a player, but he is still unproven, and thus was a gamble.

I see new signing Celeski walks in to the team and does a great job in the absence of Hernandez. Kaz has been given opportunities, and not always taken them with both hands.

12. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah, that's the thing. And as you guys have said. Merrick has had Kaz all season now. So it's not like he's unfamiliar with Kaz, anymore. But yeah, a new boy, yet proven (And stronger), player comes in and presto, he's instantly preferred. The pecking order remains something like: Carlos, Ward, Caceras (While he's here), Celeski and then Kaz. With Carlos injured for the ACL, hopes were high Kaz would get a start or 2. But with the acquisition of Celeski, it seems Kaz can't even finish with a bang.

It's just about the future now for Kaz. As he said in that TWG interview, he has 1 year left on his Benfica contract and he has to weigh up his future the end of his Victory stint and return to Benfica. He knows he can't progress much further at Benfica and Benfica will likely not keep him on, seeings he's at the relatively old age of 19, turning 20 this year. For a 'Wonderkid' he's at a crucial stage in his career, as to his progression.

He needs atleast a couple decent loan spells next season and I don't think the A-League is the go. He's had his time here and any more and I think he may aswell join an A-League club proper.

Portuguese 2nd Div, Holland, Belgium and/or Switzerland loan deal/s For The Win!

BTW You mentioned the Benfica Reserve team earlier, but as G&G pointed out, The Portuguese league scrapped it's Reserve league a couple seasons ago or so. So there's the Youth Team, then the First Team, a steep climb. And can probably partially explain Kaz's difficulty in progressing his game, during his 2-3 years there.

13. Luckie

Luckie New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Moenchengladbach
    Good morning
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league...1202760301508.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
    I don't ready anything about this in the German newspaper or by Borussia. How solvent is this ? Do you thing he can get into the first 11 in the 1 Bundesliga - next year we are back:). Can you tell me more about his best position ? Thx

14. SarkiesFAN_13

SarkiesFAN_13 New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    On the north terrace
    Here's a vid of Robert Stamboizlev the young Aussie from Melbourne who's been tearing it up for Bristol City reserve's and youth team.

It's from the show 'SoccerAm' which is a huge show every saturday morning on skysports. He was on the segment skill school.

http://www.skysports.com/socceram/media/video/0,21631,,00.html

15. Bay23

Bay23 New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Sydney
    Does this Cvetanovski kid know the A League has started?

16. Luckie

Luckie New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Moenchengladbach
    Does I ask for this season ? Look at the date from the newsletter. 13.2.08 End of the transfer period was 31.01.08 in Europe. The next transfer period start in Europe at 01.07.08. At this time a transfer will be, if the information from the newsletter is true :)

17. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but.....

Must like him if they've given him a five year contract.

18. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    From what I've heard he is VERY highly rated by those that have seen him play.

19. Luckie

Luckie New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Moenchengladbach
    ;)
    In other news, 19-year-old AIS-based Young Socceroo Peter Cvetanovski begins training on July 1 with his new German club Borussia Moenchengladbach.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/74490...-be-there.aspx

20. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. socceroo_06

socceroo_06 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    He has been injured for a while since doing his knee in the game against Mexico, but is now returning to fitness. The club has decided to send him with the U-19 team to play in a competition in Switzerland against BSC Young Boys and Blackburn Rovers U-19 teams.

This will be a good hitout for him, in particular to the buildup to the Olympics. He also has 1 year left on his contract but it will be extended before next season.

Also in other news, Australian left-wing back Scott Jamieson is trialing with Brondby after failing to get a proper look in at Bolton, having played reserves for a couple of years since joining there. He will travel with Williams and the U-19 team to Switzerland.

http://www.brondby.com/article.asp?aid=46845&id=145

22. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for that Socceroo. Interesting news that, for both players.

Hopefully if Jamieson moves to Bondby, we'll see more of him in the NTs set up. I'm sure he'd be talented enough to play for Young Socceroos/Under 20s, though it's probably too late to crack Olyroos, considering he's still to have decent first team anywhere.

Edit: Dam Jamieson is like 3 months too old for the current Young Socceroos crop, otherwise he'd be a shoe in.

Fair enough he's out of Olyroos reckoning I guess, even though he plays on the wing, I think?

23. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't know what happened with the Brondby trials but heres some new news:

24. socceroo_06

socceroo_06 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Perhaps we should close this thread based on last nights performance. Too much hot-air in this thread.

Just looking at the original players who were reviewed in this thread:
    - Rostyn Griffiths - cannot get a game at Blackburn has been loaned out to several pathetic clubs in the meantime with not much success.

- Scott Jamieson - Contract terminated by Bolton, now back in Adelaide to try and prove himself again.

- Kaz Patafta - Failed to make an impression at Benfica, loaned to Victory, same thing happened there, and now his last real chance is to prove himself at Newcastle.

- Cameron Watson - Axed from Porto, went to Dutch 2nd Div. club VVV but failed to start a game. Is now in the VPL struggeling to make an impression at Melbourne Knights.

- Dez Giraldi - Is this guy the lol of the century, talk about Michael Ferrante MkII

- Neil Kilkenny - struggled at "Brum", now at Leeds and making a good fist of it. I think he will be a gem, but he's hardly "young" anymore.

- David Williams - Had a cracking start to his career at Brondby, but over the last 6 months has really struggelled to hold down first team football and may be on the way out.

- James Troisi - Axed from Newcastle United and looking for a club.

- Adam Hardy - Retired.

Perhaps the future isn't as bright as we are lead to believe.

25. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It will pick up.

Maybe not with the above players. But there will be players who come out of nowhere.