The Official Alex de Crook thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am not a de Crook! :)

Nixon not a de Crook.jpg

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Ah, it's no fun when the guy's actual name is a pun. Reminds me of the time I saw a pitcher warm up in the bullpen in Oakland to pitch against the A's. - J.J. Putz. Someone yelled out, "Putz - eh, too easy!".

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    A little under the radar but along with de Crook the Quakes signed French GK coach Jean Le Burglar.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5 falvo, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    It would be nice if he can find and bring in a goalscorer.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here's video from the press conference:

Beckham7 and JazzyJ repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Seems pretty qualified for an assistant coach. I hope de Crook doesn't steal Stahre's thunder.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he has worked mostly with youth academies, I wonder if he will be helping the Quakes there as well.

9. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I hope we have an assistant with MLS experience so that we have someone on the bench who knows the opponents.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston is still there.

11. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Beerking, Honore de Ballsac and bsman repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think culture is very important to Jesse, and I think if you look at the staff hires it hints at what he values. de Crook and Nieminen have developmental backgrounds (de Crook also has a history of working with MS in China). I think hes trying to set a very specific type of culture in the club, The intersting question is wether he sees these european coaches as basically seed stock, to build the club cultural and pull americans like Ian and Steve through it, or hes going to keep going to the European well.

Hes definitely looked initially to Europe in the first year with players, but he went to the USL and NASL for players this year, and now SA as well.

Culturally the club is extremely different from where it was under Doyle, Im with holding judgement right now and letting it see where it goes.

15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, he knows he has a limit to the number of Euro players he can bring into the fold. So he can bring young domestic players in and "Europeanize" them as much as possible before they become too tainted :).

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LoL, entirely possible. :) But I think what Im trying to say is that everything points to a developmental model that just hasnt existed in US soccer to this point. I mean, if your goal is to be a club with tight integration from academy to 1st team, what US coaches have the kind of experience you need?

The closest thing to what hes trying to do in the US is NYRB. FC Dallas doesnt have the USL integration or any consistent success bridging academy to 1st team (they have a lot of homegrowns, but few who have gotten stable minutes). For every candidate he can find in the US he can find 10 in Europe with the requisite experience at this point.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I suppose that's possible - that role of GK coach for example would not be just to coach the 2 or 3 guys on the senior roster but to implement some kind of consistency in training and methodology in Reno and down through the academy.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just that but questions about what each keeper needs, what benchmarks we want them to be hitting, How do you handle a lot of initial success or a lot of initial failure with a young keeper in a cutthroat professional environment. How much do you protect young guys from veterans like Wondo who are super intense and might unintentionally rattle a young player?

The RSL draft video is interesting because they are talking about Segbers, and wether to draft him, and one of the things there talking about 'ok, Herrerra is going to be eating up a bunch of these reserve minutes, do we have the minutes to give Segbers or is he going to rot on the bench?" Having an idea of how many minutes you need to give these guys, and knowing when you need to cut into starters minutes so you can get these players those crucial minutes, and when you can afford to do it, all of this is more old hat in Europe but not something weve seen a big emphasis on in the US.

Mglnbea repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I hope you're right about that last part - making sure you are giving guys minutes to develop them, even if it means cutting into some starter minutes - one of the things that drove me nuts about the previous regime.

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont take this in terms of me saying this is the way it is. I just see this as what makes the most sense given what we know. The thing is, if life has taught me anything, the truth can always be dumber and more non-sensical then you would ever have imagined.

Long way of saying im ok with taking a wait and see attitude right now.

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have loaned them your Magic Diversity Net.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just posted this video in the draft thread, it really is worth watching...

24. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    de Crook has a daunting task...priority number one.....teaching Tommy how to shoot under game pressure.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, hopefully de Crook teaches him how to steal a few goals.